The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

fuel injector tick

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bizzotalon701

Probationary Member
Sep 18, 2007
bismarck, North_Dakota
ok i'm new to this site but have had my 95 tsi awd for about 7 months now. for a few months ive been hearing a tick coming from my engine and at first i thought it was a valve knock but then felt my injectors and could feel the tick. i've read the only thread about this problem and it didn't answer my question, which is would it be a smart thing to do to upgrade my injectors to larger ones with a stock fuel pump and turbo or just to replace them with stock flow output???

Are you sure youre not having lifter tick? Thats 100% more common.

You should feel your injectors ticking, if not they arent pulsing.

Fuel injectors tick... they do not tick loudly enough to hear without some kind of instrument.... but I'd be looking into your lifters as a possibility. If there's enough miles on the car and the oil wasn't changed regularly enough it's a possibility that what you're hearing is lifter tick. This can also cause van damage to your ability to boost as "phantom knock" will retard timing based on what the knock sensor is seeing.

well i had my car looked at by a local shop and he had said that i have a lifter going out and that if i keep fresh oil in it it'll be fine but he also said i have 2 injectors going out. my car only has 60,000+ miles on it and ive changed oil regularly on it since i got it, also i changed the timing belt on it at around 50,000 or so. my question to every one is still would it be smarter to upgrade to higher flowing injectors or just replace them with stock flowing ones??? i plan to upgrade the turbo in the future when the $ is there if that helps anyone

if you plan on going bigger turbo, might as well fork out the money for higher flowing injectors. do a search on which turbo you plan on upgrading to, and you should find which injectors will support that turbo.
as for the ticking, i dont know, mine do that too.

bigger injectors need a SAFC, dsmlink, megasquirt, or some other form of engine management to control, keep this in mind.

my car ticks too, i think every dsm does...

injectors ticking is because it's spring loaded... the ticking is them shutting

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back