The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Fuel filter to Rail Line Upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rowingfish87

Probationary Member
Oct 29, 2012
Roswell, Georgia
So I was looking at this kit: EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts and then priced it out by parts (ebay, jegs and summit) and can make the same thing for about $40.

Now, my question is is this line upgrade worth it? I have a few mods but nothing crazy. One of the main reasons I am thinking about this is bc I have a aeromotive fpr and it has nice -6 lines and it would be nice for it to match on both sides of the fuel rail. Kind of a stupid reason to upgrade I know but I always like to have something tinker on...

If you plan to go the e85 route then I would say yes it is worth it.. If I remember correctly stock lines are only a tad bit smaller than -6

Honestly, your limited by the lines from your fuel pump to engine bay, but stuff like that is mostly for cosmetic effect.

Yeah, I guess it will be a good "rainy day" mod... Would it be better to make the line -8 if I do this for future mods sake? as in to prevent from re-doing this line down the road...

The lines aren't the restriction, the stock fuel filter is. The filter itself and the banjo bolt on top restrict flow. Plus odds are, the stock filter is most likely rotted out and has a whole right through the center of the element.

So if you were going to mess with it, i'd at least get this kit and rewire the fuel pump. Even the stock pump, rewire adds about 30% more flow.

http://www.extremepsi.com/store/product.php?productid=21516&cat=1559&page=1

Last edited by a moderator:
The lines aren't the restriction, the stock fuel filter is. The filter itself and the banjo bolt on top restrict flow. Plus odds are, the stock filter is most likely rotted out and has a whole right through the center of the element.

So if you were going to mess with it, i'd at least get this kit and rewire the fuel pump. Even the stock pump, rewire adds about 30% more flow.

EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts

I know the car has an aftermarket fuel pump, just not sure what it is. I have a re-wire kit sitting in the trunk waiting to go in and was planning on pulling the pump to see what it is when I do the re-wire.

Also, with this kit could I just get the adapter for the hard line that feeds the fuel filter to -6 or -8 fitting and run an aftermarket filter instead of stock replacement? I have seen there are notably cheaper filters that are -6 in -6 out at summit than the ones that fit the stock fittings...

Also, with this kit could I just get the adapter for the hard line that feeds the fuel filter to -6 or -8 fitting and run an aftermarket filter instead of stock replacement? I have seen there are notably cheaper filters that are -6 in -6 out at summit than the ones that fit the stock fittings...

The kit comes with fittings for either -6 ss line, or the stock hard lines.

But yea you could get the kit with out the filter and buy your own filter. You'd still need the fitting from the filter to the stock hard lines coming from the tank.

The stock fuel system isn't as restrictive and most think. Im running E85 on my 16g at over 25psi with nothing more than a Walbro 255, AFPR, and 1150cc injectors. I still have stock lines and cheap OEM fuel filter.

So like 91stocker said, the most I would do is a filter to rail kit. But even that is overkill for anything under 500hp or so.

Pulled the sending unit cover off in the trunk to see that someone had broken off the hard line coming out of the tank and replaced it with a piece of rubber fuel line epoxied/jb welded into the sending unit.

I dont like to mess around with half a$$ed fuel lines b/c we all know what can happen when they fail. From what it looks like I will be better off building my own -6 line kit from the tank to the rail than buying a replacement sending unit...unless anyone knows of a place to get a good, cheap, used 1G awd sending unit? (dsmgraveyard wants $275 for a USED one!!!)

I have searched and seen a few -6/-8 tank to rail set ups and it seems pretty straight forward.

Any input is appreciated.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back