The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Fuel Cut: What is it? How do I fix it? [merged]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slanted J

Supporting VIP
Feb 19, 2002
Janesville, Wisconsin
All fuel cut threads are combined here.

I've tried doing a search but to no avail.

I was just wondering what Fuel Cut is. I've heard it tossed around alot, but do not actually know the details behind it. And, naturally, I can gather that its when the fuel is cut off, but when and why.

Thanx,
Jon

LOL

Umm, no... it isn't fuel cut...

My best guess is that you aren't getting spark of fuel. Do a spark test. The bad fuel pump is a good call, but before you go trying to get that pain in the a$s out of the tank do a spark test.

Best of luck.

:thumb:

its in the computer. if you were to take the computer out i would bet the caps are leaking. hate to say this but i would start looking for a computer or send yours out to be rebuilt.

Okay, I pulled my plugs to check the gap. I saw on a thread from LarryD that he was having basically the same problem. Someone suggested pulling the plugs and changing the gaps to .26. So, I pulled my plugs. Low and behold, 2 were set at .26, one at .24 and one at .28. So, I fixxed the gaps on the other 2 to have .26 all around. WHOA BABY!!! What a major difference. The car drives smooth, no more jerking, AND that annoying ticking sound when it's cold, is gone!!!! WOOOOOHOOOOO. Now it's time to crank up da boost!! Thanks DSMTuners!!!! :thumb:

First Check all sensors to make they are working correctly. There is no way to get rid of fuel cut by just changing fuel injectors , fuel pump , fuel pressure, adding a AFC ect...The reason being the ecu is preprogramed for a certain amount of air flow and fuel. You can do a 2G MAF swap that will help a little because it flows more and is able to meter it better. You also could have the ecu reprogramed (TMO or JET do that ) but that does cost about 300-500 dollars. The cheaper alternative would to to add a FUEL CUT DEFENCER on HKS sells one BUT it cost 150 dollars . I made my own for LESS THAN FIVE DOLLARS. Cheap and effective. Make sure everything else is working correctly BEFORE you try tis mod . If you have a A/F gage and it shows you are running on the rich side, you have upgraded fuel pump with pump rewire, than this mod should fix the problem....

I have a 95 GST, and I recently purchased a Hallman MBC. It has been woking fine, until at around 12-15 psi, my car stutters and hessitaes and the boost jumps to 23-30 psi?? I have no idea what this is. I tried taking off the MBC, but it still have the same symptoms. I then took it to my mechanic and ran a diognostic on it and it said there was a vacume problem. We checked the lines and couldnt figure it out. When it hapend the A/F ratio is very lean...
Please help me with this I have no idea what to do....
thanks

Im thinking of getting dsmlink... i would be able to get rid of fuel cut with that, correct???

I am experiencing what I thought was a serious issue with my plugs or wires, like sometimes around 3000rpms if I am at WOT it will kinda 'studder' per se. But now it sounds like fuel cut...
Then again I am running 15PSI on a stock fuel pump :rolleyes:
I know I know, I should upgrade...

Holy crap I didn't know what fuel cut was until last night when it hit me. I had turned up my boost a bit (too much) and as it went boosting out of control the whole car slammed like it blew up. I stopped the car expecting the whole rear end to be sitting on fire in the ditch but nothing seemed to be wrong. What fun these DSMs are!

So you are telling me that it is normal to NOT be able to floor my car over 4500 RPM's?

Originally posted by NeedaDSM
So you are telling me that it is normal to NOT be able to floor my car over 4500 RPM's?

Sorry for the short reply. This happens a lot with upgraded turbo's. For both 1G and 2G with stock MAF, we can only flow a "limited" amount of air before the ECU thinks it needs to cut fuel (safety feature). Doesn't matter if you have upgrade your fuel pump or injector, the stock ECU don't know. I know people have fixed that problem (1G) by placing a small filter where the BOV dumps back and controlling the fuel curve with AFC or somethign similar so you don't go way too lean. With 2G, people can remove the honey comb in the MAF and adjust with AFC. The idea is, in order to get around the factory "fuel cut level," you need to think of ways to sneak in "unmetered" air. VPC will do you good if you have money and you're going to spend $$$ on mods.

AuGustus:laugh:

I am new to this board and hope some of you experienced DSM masters can help. I just bought a 1995 Eagle Talon TSI AWD, and think I just experienced fuel-cut. (felt like slamming on the brakes while trying to accelerate) I put on a cone filter, and the car now cuts out at 4K rpms. I was told that it was most likely an ignition problem so I went and bought Taylor wires and NGK plugs. No fix. A guy with a Talon here in town told me that he experienced the same thing with his car, and that I need to get an adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator and increase the fuel pressure to 33-38 psi. This sounds great but after looking at my new plugs, it looks as if I'm running a little rich already. I decided to back the screw out on my MAS to hopefully keep the ECU from reading all the air coming in. No fix. Lastly I cut the dump tube, but it still didn't work. If anyone has experienced something like this please respond. It is driving me crazy!

Well, i had this same problem and it turned out that i was hitting fuel cut because i was hitting as high as 24 psi of boost...do u have a boost gauge?? i dunno, that was just me...hope this helps

No, I don't have a boost gauge yet. I haven't ever adjusted the boost. I have an HKS EVCIV here at the house, but have been waiting until I get my gauges to install it.

With the Evc you can read what your boost/vaccum is. But it wont be in psi. It will be in bar, or mmhg.

Yeah, I thought about just using the controller, but I think I'd like to have an actual gauge in front of me to monitor. If something were to go wrong with the EVC who knows what could happen.

I HIGHLY doubt you're actually hitting a fuel cut on stock turbo with stock boost. I was running 18psi ona a stock turbo untill turbo has given up, but never hit a fuel cut.

It sounds a lot like a sizable boost leak. Pressurize the whole intake side and see what you find.

So if the car never runs lean it wont hit fuel cut? How high can a stock motor take before stuff starts falling off?

My car was getting fuel cut with just a cone filter, and after installing my fuel pressure gauge, I saw my pressure was pushing 52 psi. I fouled out 2 sets of NGK plugs in less than 1500 miles. I bought a B&M FPR and lowered the pressure to 39 psi, and my car is running better than ever. I read my plugs every couple days to check, and they seem to be in great condition after 500 miles so I guess I'll see what happens. I think that I was getting fuel cut because my FPR was stuck and causing more pressure than the pump could put out.

I thought my car was hitting fuel cut because it would just shut off right at WOT when upped the boost. I'd go threw 1 gear or two and then the car would just die, i have an SAFC, fuel pump, and bigger injectors. I'm really sure i'm not running lean either so I don't what the hell is wrong with my car :(

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I wasn't running lean but I KNOW I was getting fuel cut. I stomped on the gas and at about 3500rpms the car made a loud BANG and stopped so fast I though my tranny locked up. I can't imagine that it is good for the drivetrain. Safety feature or not, I thought my car was falling apart everytime it happened. Thank god it's fixed now because I could have sworn my tranny was on the ground behind me.

This morning it was extremely cold (0 degrees). My car was up to operating temperature and I went to pass someone on the highway, leaving it in 5th. When I went to pass them, my engine totally cut out until I backed off the throttle (but stayed running). It did this twice. 10 minutes later, it would not do this at all, even taking it up to redline. Did I hit fuel cut, or just because it was extremely cold? I don't have any power mods done except for free mods and balance shaft removed. Any advice?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back