The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Fuel Capacity [Merged 11-6] gas tank size gallons

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAMtheMAN

Probationary Member
Oct 25, 2002
northern_KY
What is the size of the gas tank in my 90 awd(16 gallons???)I dont have the owners manul and the haynes manual does not have this listed! Please help im trying to do the ratio for some octane booster and im getting pissed that this information is hard for me to find!!!:mad:

ALL DSMs have the same 16-gallon capacity. Different sources will fudge .1 gallon or so, and it's yet to be determined what the useable capacity is.

I found a 1996 is 15 gallons but cant find any info on a 1995 When I run it down to where the fuel light comes on it takes 10.9 gallons to fill up. this really sucks if its like a 11-12 gallon tank because at 18 mpg I am filling up twice a week.

1G and 2G fuel tanks are 15.9; 2G AWDs have plastic tanks. I have no idea how much of that 15.9 you can actually use. I seem to always fill mine at about ten or eleven gallons.

I don't think you can swap generations with tanks.

Some boring day I'll actually take a spare gallon out and find just where the thing goes dry. I'm sure I get more than 300 miles per tank, but I usually fill up around 250. I get around 21 mpg.

Even when I had all my mods I was still getting about 230 before I would fill up but at that point it would take 12-13 gallons.

Whenever I fill up my almost empty fuel tank it comes to around 40 litres (10.5 gal). I've looked at many sources and they all specify the fuel capacity at 60 litres (15.9 gal). I have tried filling up at different gas stations.

WTF?

Maybe someone who owned the car before you switched gas tanks??? I get 15.9 gals when I fill it up.

If there isn't anything odd about the tank, a 2G holds 64 liters (1Gs hold 60 liters). Most likely, your gauge is reading low.

i notice that 2 from the gauge reading empty i only get about 13 gallons. to scared to drive it till it runs out though. i don't know winter coming and when the cash starts getting low I might test those 3 extra gallons somewhere.

Does the gauge have a wider range at near empty? Could it be that those last 20 litres are represented by the gauge showing empty?

I often wondered about this as well. The manual says 16 gallons, but I haven't been able to put more than 12 in it. Strange......

I just got approximately 500 km (310 miles) on what I estimate is a 45 litre tank (11.9 gal). That's 9L / 100KM (26 MPG). Not bad I guess.

There is no way that tank holds 60 liters. I think it must be a typo.

I've also noticed that the low fuel light never comes on. How low does it have to be? I had it almost touching the lowest marker.

BlackbirdOfPrey said:
I often wondered about this as well. The manual says 16 gallons, but I haven't been able to put more than 12 in it. Strange......

Same here, even when it's way below E I can maybe fit in 13 gallons, it'd be nice to know how far it can go.

My low fuel light starts coming on at just under 1/4 of a tank, then goes out, and comes back on... yadda yadda.

The capacity for a 2G FWD will be greater than that of a 2G AWD.
Not correct- ALL DSMs have the same 16-gallon capacity. Different sources will fudge .1 gallon or so, and it's yet to be determined what the useable capacity is. But the AWDs have full-capacity. -Defiant

remember weve got a driveshaft and a tranny housing bisecting the bottom of the tank into two halves, so it does hold less than the 2 wheel drive would

Good point.

It bothers me that all the publications out there say it's a 60 litres tank for all the models.

I'm glad it's 45 litres. Seems like less damage to the wallet everytime I fill up :D

Since I did the running out of gas thing, when my lo fuel light goes on and I fill her up, it usually takes 14 gallons, depending on how long I let it go. Sometimes I even put in 15.5 gallons. FWIW

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back