The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Front Sway Bars?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddinsb

Probationary Member
Aug 20, 2002
Santa_Barbara_CA
I'm planning on getting a new rear sway bar and was wondering if it's worth it to upgrade both the front and rear on my 96 Eclipse AWD? I'm looking at the Suspension Techniques Sway Bar Kit that includes both front and rear, is anyone using it?

I thought sway bars helped correct under and oversteer? Both of the bars come together if i don't get gain will i loose any performance from putting in the new one in front?

Actually, replacing your front swaybar in conjuction with a rear that's significantly stiffer would also help with roll as well. (As was the case for me)

The SuspensionTechniques sways for a 2G tend to get in the way of exhausts in the rear. Dunno how they are different from the RMDSM sways anywho.

Our cars (well at least the 2Gs) have a pretty strong tendency to push even with sways, especially under throttle. FWDs... are even worse, but we have a few tricks our AWD brethern can't use as easily. It takes a very well-setup suspension to make the car well-balanced for racing. Otherwise, just slap on the rear bar if your front bar is in good shape and you should be happy for spirited street driving and some drift action.

If you are going to get bars, get RMDSM bars. They are better quality and you can fit any aftermarket exhaust on around them. I have the ST bar set, but can only use the front. As for doing one end and not the other....hmm. Not something I would recommend. If you plan on using some expirementation to figure out which combination works best then I would say alright. Just slapping on and trying to go, bad idea. As stated our cars understeer BAD. Stiffening the rear will help a little, but shocks/springs are a better tuning tool, if you are trying to eliminate that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back