The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G FP Red, Dented water pipe, turbo fits, but coolant housing's leaking...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stiggity99

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 31, 2011
York Haven, Pennsylvania
Sorry if theirs already a handful of _started_ but never (resolved) threads having to do with this conversation, but here goes...

I'm using an FP Manifold, and attempting to install a brand new, "Old School" FD Red turbo. Old periphs came off pretty easy. I was gently tapping in the right spot to dent the water pipe, and out of nowhere there's s steady drip from the firewall side of the h20 housing, where the water pipe mates, with an o-ring I'll assume I either disrupted the seal from banging on the water-pipe, or I actually bent the shape of the whole shAbang.. Okay....I over-nighted several of the same OEM water pipe O-rings ( not entirely sure where I got the existing) from Mitsubishi, and if I put like a 1/2 inch 6" extension in the water pipe (after I remove the h2o housing) wrapped in a shop-towel of course ( I do Love my car ) while its still fastened at every stock location, and bend it a degree or 2 back, towards the firewall, replace O-rings, re-assemble, and fill it with water, and check for leaks...

I looked everywhere for idea's on "denting the water pipe 101" ETC, and all I could find were dead-end theads, and really not much info. (Get a 3lb sledge out and beat it up), (take it off the car), (leave it on) , (heat it up) , Jeez... not 1 REAL solution(s). To get back to what I'm asking. If bending it a degree or 2, replacing o-ring, still doesn't stop the leak, I have a really good condition stock replacement ready to be shipped. BUT!!! lets say I put an on-molested unit on, I still have to dent it, and whos to say I wont disfigure the replacements shape/condition...

-Any advice is 110% appreciated.

ended up installing a thermostat housing, with an OEM o-ring, no coolant leaks. The dinging I performed to the water pipe was like 1/32" too deep. Turbo (_Just_) cleared. wrapped errythang up, and started the engine... let it warm-up.. nothing leaking. I am not running coolant to my turbo, so I had to cap the coolant feed line. But now, with this FP aluminum intake, my 3" piece of hose with a bolt in the end, and clamped will be moving up&down. Last thing I want to happen is being stranded somewhere, due to losing all my coolant..

RESOLVED!!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back