The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Fp intake

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

After thinking about this for a day or two, I decided to clarify a few things for future reference instead of just letting it go.

if your geting a pint of blow by between every oil change then there must be a prolbem with your engine.

Collecting a pint of oil in a good filtering catch can every 2k or 3k miles is nothing out of the ordinary. I personally know of at least one sub-8 second talon that can fill a can with almost a quart of fluid in just two passes down the track, and I can assure you that his 1100+hp engine doesn't have "a problem". ;)

There are MANY factors that impact the amount of blowby that any given engine will produce, including some that have nothing to do with "a problem with your engine". Ever wonder why most sanctioned racing organizations require breather-connected catch cans that can hold a liter or more of fluid? It's because it's not uncommon for some racing motors to produce a lot of blowby under certain conditions.

if that were the case i would have 100 pints of oil in my intake system

Of course you won't have 100 pints of oil in your intake (where did that number even come from?). Oil vapor, as well as many other compounds such as combustion by-products, water vapor, etc. are suspended in the crankcase gases as sub-micron sized particles and aerosols. If this blowby is piped directly back into the intake, most of it is burned off once it makes it's way back into the cylinders...which is the whole point of a PCV system in the first place. What you are left with in the intake track is an oily residue that slowly builds up over time.

Also the mess your talking about never happend on my friends car before it was my car now its in my gsx LOL

It's great that you and your friend have never seen a mess from running a cheap paper filter hanging off the VC vent; it's probably because the PCV system isn't functioning properly in the first place. Regardless of that, it is not the best solution by far for several reasons.

But as I said before, it's your car; do what you want. I'm not going to waste time arguing with you about it. :thumb:

+2 for ^^

I agree with everything that Calan has stated above. There is no sense in beating around the bush on a subject. Auto manufacturers would not create something so complex, if it could be so "easily" done a different way. With the way the Economy is these days and the strict emissions regulations, things are designed for a reason, to alter them in such a manor (venting crank case gases directly to the atmosphere) is probably not a good idea, for many of the reasons stated above. Unless you love cleaning your engine bay constantly, don't use a breather filter or fuel filter. Those filters are not designed for the purpose you intent to use them. That would be like using a flat head crew driver as your oil filter wrench... not the correct tool for the job.

It's your car, it's your choice, but don't complain to us when you destroy your motor.

Now, on to my suggestion... tapping a hole into your BOV recirc tube with a barb fitting and mini hose clamp, instead of the FP intake pipe....?! It should do the same job, just don't have to risk potentially ruining the gorgeous FP Intake pipe! What do you guys think about that idea?

red4g63: I can see it working, but drilling and tapping the intake pipe would make for a cleaner install, and doesn't seem as potentially dangerous as people are making it out to be.

To the OP: Why not just recirculate your crankcase vent if you don't produce any blowby? The little paper filter idea is just plain wrong. Besides the obvious problems, you can't just compensate for unmetered air, because the air flows in different directions and in varied quantities.

I figured that installing the barb on my recirc tube would be a good "quick-fix" for the issue at hand. In the near future, I do plan on getting a catch can, rendering the barb fitting useless at that point. Just another capped fitting I don't want on my clean FP intake pipe.

Thanks for the reply!

So I decided to drill and tap for the Barb fitting... it wasn't so bad, other than having to buy an entire tap kit just to use it once... at this point. Came out perfect. The first mistake someone makes when tapping a hole... they go too fast. You really just need to take your time. When you drill the hole, make sure you use a bit that is smaller than the outer diameter of the fitting. Perhaps even smaller than the inner diameter of the fitting, just to be on the safe side. You can always re-drill the next size up if it's truly too small of a hole to start the tap. If you tap aluminum, TAKE YOUR TIME!! Get it started, then back it out, only twist 1/4 to 1/2 turns each time and back it out... you'll want to keep the tap and hole as clean as possible, so you don't bind up. Once you get the threads tapped, you'll be amazed how perfect the fitting screws in. Like all projects on a DSM, take the time to do it right the first time... if not, you'll have to do it all again, which we all know sucks!

Hope this helps.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back