The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Force OBD Inspection Pass 2G

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casuprock

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 13, 2010
Exeter, New_Hampshire
I woke up one day and thought "Wouldn't the world be a better place if there were a way to use a flashable 98/99 ECU on a 1995 2G DSM without having to retain the OBDII?" In 1996, OBDII became mandatory... but the 2G ECU remained backwards compatible. What if you want to run Ceddymods on your 1995? Should you be forced to have OBDII on the vehicle? :hmm:

Today is the day that birds are singing in the trees, flowers are blooming, and the skies are blue. A light shown down from the heavens and graced my ECU with a ROM free from the chains of OBDII... (i.e. I got help from Acamus) If you care to thank Acamus for his help, he accepts donations. Make sure to tag this thread as helpful.

While this ROM will work on any 2G with a 98/99 ECU, DO NOT USE THIS ROM ON STREET VEHICLES MADE BETWEEN 1996-1999. While OBDII is not required on 1995 vehicles, it was made legally mandatory in 1996. Don't do anything illegal. Think about it, your mom would be upset if you got arrested.

I updated this patch with the table data from Ceddymod (hence the file name). Here is the patched 2G ROM and metadata.

Flashed with EcuFlash using an OpenPort.

The result is self-explanatory.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just reading about the force obd pass patch for evo's after seeing it mentioned in some ECU flash training videos. I was thinking that would be really nice, I just checked tuners and here it is! Granted it's for 95's but it's nice to see new features dealing with ECU flashing. Good job :thumb:

well here is the catch you need a 98/99 ecu to flash. Technically it can only be done 95 legally but it really can be done on any 95-99 with a 98/99 flashable ecu installed. but if you use it on any car that is not a 95 it is "for off road only/education use only". just like the evo guys say.

well here is the catch you need a 98/99 ecu to flash. Technically it can only be done 95 legally but it really can be done on any 95-99 with a 98/99 flashable ecu installed. but if you use it on any car that is not a 95 it is "for off road only/education use only". just like the evo guys say.

Good to know. Thanks!

You don't want every test to be "Passed", as the DSMs don't support all the tests.

It might look strange to have "Passed" for equipment that was never present from the factory. A few of the tests should say "N/A" or "Not Available".

I'll try to find some of my old notes for which tests are "N/A".

You don't want every test to be "Passed", as the DSMs don't support all the tests.

It might look strange to have "Passed" for equipment that was never present from the factory. A few of the tests should say "N/A" or "Not Available".

I'll try to find some of my old notes for which tests are "N/A".

kthackst is correct, those scan images are from the first time this was flashed just to see if it was working.

OP, does New Hampshire require OBDII testing for emissions? In PA, even though my '95 has an OBDII port, the emissions test is strictly visual.

No it's not required for 1995 vehicles in NH.

1996 or newer are required to have the OBDII port by Federal law. This patch is legal on a 1995 because OBDII is not required on 1995 vehicles. It is legal for anyone running a 1995 VIN who wants to use a 98/99 ECU and avoid scan tool warnings for readiness & emissions.

Since it's legal on 95's, it's more legal than everybody's EGR block off plates & emissions deletes (which aren't even legal even for 1995 vehicles).

Some history:
The OBDII laws violate the constitution (the commerce clause) but they have never been tested in the supreme court by the states or auto manufacturers. Specifically, it is challenged that Congress cannot impose the purchase of specific government approved goods or services. Most recently the commerce clause has been rekindled with the passage of 'health care reform'.

OBDII hasn't been challenged because potential plaintiffs see it as a vector for auto manufacturers to make income. The emissions equipment is a value added subsystem which manufacturers exploit through Federal grant programs & tax deductions (such is the case today with manufacturers of hybrid vehicles).
As we all know, emissions equipment makes a vehicle less efficient because it adds thermodynamic inefficiencies. I'd like to think that some of us (especially those running E85) with no emissions equipment are polluting much less CO2/Horsepower than comparable vehicles!

Last edited:
I was pretty sure that 95s were OBDII as well for our car?

So a 95 can legally get away with cheating the system? I have to figure out what to do in August when my sticker expires. I have link, does link allow me to rectify the readiness issue?

So a 95 can legally get away with cheating the system? I have to figure out what to do in August when my sticker expires. I have link, does link allow me to rectify the readiness issue?

If you've got a 1995 VIN, you're not cheating anything... you don't have to be OBDII compliant. :)

A '95 needs the actual emissions components in place, but they don't have to be working. You need to have a cat (or look alike), EGR valve, charcoal canister, and a few other items in place. They need to appear like they're actually installed as well (i.e. must have some vacuum lines running to and from charcoal canister). If everything looks as it should, then you pass. If you have a CEL for something, they will investigate and find out what's causing it, which could cause you to fail even though you pass the visual (I would assume).

Our 95s have OBD-II Because mitusbishi whent ahead and changed them to OBD-II with the new body style. But it is not federally regulated, and most states will not check for OBD-II compliance even if the vehicle does have OBD-II. It is in no way illegal to trick your ecu into think it is OBD-II Compliant pre 1996 model year.

A '95 needs the actual emissions components in place, but they don't have to be working. You need to have a cat (or look alike), EGR valve, charcoal canister, and a few other items in place. They need to appear like they're actually installed as well (i.e. must have some vacuum lines running to and from charcoal canister). If everything looks as it should, then you pass. If you have a CEL for something, they will investigate and find out what's causing it, which could cause you to fail even though you pass the visual (I would assume).

Yeah you're right, a visual is still required. Obviously the software doesn't fix that problem. :D It just prevents you from having any CELs to worry about.

They allowed you to fix it when the comm is locked in ECMlnk mode, but you have to take the ECU out of ECMlink mode so it can communicate with the OBDII scanner. Once it gets pulled out, your readiness statuses go away. Otherwise, they'd be breaking the law by providing everyone with a way to bypass the OBDII test.

I see a supreme court case brewing... "DSMtuners vs. The United States of America" :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back