The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

For any PC gamers, how does this look?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEFYANT

Probationary Member
Aug 31, 2013
Haskell, Oklahoma
Hey PC gamers, curious what you guys think of this gaming rig?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($159.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($83.24 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($299.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Corsair 550D ATX Mid Tower Case ($125.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-16D1HT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($96.24 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.98 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Linksys WUSB600N 802.11a/b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($53.67 @ Amazon)
Total: $1642.05
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-01 21:19 EDT-0400)

If you are going for a strictly gaming PC that can also handle multiple applications very well I would consider going the AMD route. From a CPU capability standpoint Intel wins every time... however, from a gaming standpoint consider the following:

AMD has graphics and processing hardware inside both the PS4 and the XBONE.
PS4 and XBONE both support multicore (8 cores to be exact) CPU's.
AMD supports Mantle which greatly increases performance over DirectX.

Ports from consoles are most likely going to behave REALLY well on AMD systems going forward. Most PC games these days are ports from consoles but even for the ones that aren't developers are really liking Mantle so far. Look at BF4 and StarCitizen as examples for Mantle support.

That being said. This is the PC I would build for a gaming PC to keep ahead of the next gen curve of consoles coming out and to future proof as much as possible (this is all using NewEgg pricing):

CPU: i5 4670k Passmark gaming score: 7805, Ranked 114th out of all CPU's. AMD FX-8350 score: 9035, Ranked 72nd out of all CPU's. Just saying...
CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHZ AM3+ 8 core ($199.99)

CPU Cooler: You really don't need a water cooler. This will perform almost just as well for A LOT cheaper. Those all in one LWC's aren't that great when you look at the benchmarks.
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO ($34.99)

Motherboard: The chipset in this board works really well with my graphics card choice. I would keep them paired together.
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard ($133.00)

Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMY16GX3M2A1600C9B (Blue) ($169.99)

Storage: Install your games and OS to this. Game loading times are amazing on an SSD. Maybe consider upping the size if you have a lot of games.
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($159.99 @ B&H)

Storage: Use this for pictures, movies and other big crap that doesn't need to load fast... The reason I picked a little pricey HD here: it's WD's top of the line HD with a 5 year warranty. Worth it IMO. A hard drive failing in 2-3 years sucks without a warranty... I would get two if you can afford it and set one up to mirror the other one in windows settings. That way if one craps out you still have a copy of the entire HD on the other one...
Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive ($158.69)

Video Card: GTX 660 TI Passmark Gaming score: 4686, Ranked 17th out of all GPU's. AMD R9 280X score: 5121, Ranked 14th out of all GPU's. Once again AMD is scored higher in game benchmarks...
The price on these should drop to $300 again soon. They got sold out right when they hit the market and the price hasn't fully adjusted yet. $350 isn't bad though, it is a great card with Mantle support. Don't buy the MSI R9... it has really bad fans and everyone is returning them. The sapphire card hasn't had any defaults besides some dead on arrivals like any other card would.

SAPPHIRE 100363L Radeon R9 280X 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card ($349.99)

Case: This is actually cheaper on NewEgg because you don't pay sales tax. Add everything to your cart in Newegg and then in Amazon and you will see what I mean. Sometimes Amazon is great but don't let their low prices fool you in overlooking the tax. Newegg has no sales tax and usually ends up being cheaper anyways...
Corsair 550D ATX Mid Tower Case ($139.99)

Power Supply: You can't beat this PSU for the price. I always like to have a little more wattage available so the PSU doesn't have to work as hard. They live longer this way.
CORSAIR CX series CX750 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready ($89.99)

Optical Drive: Do you really need BluRay? I download all my movies and keep digital copies on my TB HD and most games you can download online now. Games are still shipping on DVD's as well. If you really want one go for it but personally I would cut a corner with this choice...
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM ($19.99)

Operating System: Personal preference here. Windows 8.1 does have proven better performance in gaming because the OS itself takes less resources than Windows 7. I personally love the windows 7 UI though... Up to you.
Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.98 @ OutletPC)

Wireless Network Adapter: Get whatever you want here... I prefer a wireless N adapter that plugs straight into the spare PCI EXPRESS or PCI slot. They have pretty decent performance over the USB counterparts. Linksys is a great brand. Stick with them. This would be my choice:
Linksys WMP600N PCI Wireless Adapter with Dual-Band ($45.99)

Total without shipping (Lazy after writing all that to add shipping LOL.) $1469.58 (remember that NewEgg doesn't charge tax. This can be a lifesaver!)

Cheaper and better suited for what you are asking IMO. Don't get me wrong, Intel has proven their worth in the past and no AMD CPU can outpace one in power per core performance in general but from a gaming perspective I have to pick AMD with their focus on the gaming side of the community lately. There are already benchmarks in games that put the FX CPU ahead of i7's in current games even though technically speaking the i7 is "more powerful."

My .02 anyways... good luck with your PC.

Amd always ran a little warmer then Intel from what I've seen. That small hard drive will fill up quick. Factor in a second hard drive with more space, a sata cable to connect it, and a wire from the power supply. Used silent pro for my PC and the one I got built for my dad. Cheap on amazon at the time and more then we needed for the 660 superclocked.

Even 3 years later, this PC build is probably really really solid. Although now you can pretty much find cheaper parts.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back