The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Fender, Headlights, and Bumper Won't Align

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TermTrky

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 23, 2007
PNW, Washington
Hey Guys,
I got this Eclipse and had begun sanding it down.

I know these are the 2ga Lights, Fenders, hood and bumper, but the headlights won't recess and align into the fender correctly. There's a gap. It's all loose.

I've taken the front bumper off, and tried to align the lights to the fender.

In the correct position, the headlights are about 1" above the front bumper. Even with everything mounted tightly.

Also, when aligned in the fender correctly, they come out about 1/2" out from where the curves align into the bumper's molded grill (Inbetween the lights).

I know this car's been in an accident previously. You can see how the fenders used to be red.

I'm wondering if this I have the wrong fenders? They align perfectly to the door, and fairly closely to the hood.

Any insight would be helpful, or pictures of your lights :]

I need to get this right before I paint. I have a feeling I'll buy new headlights and front bumper just because of the cosmetic damage to those.

Thanks.

Attachments

• P1011858.jpg
    P1011858.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 560
  • P1011855.jpg
    P1011855.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 470
  • P1011853.jpg
    P1011853.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 443
Is the top part of the passenger headlight being overlapped by the fender? (close to the hood)

It seems the inside part of the headlight is too high, and thats why the outside looks like is tilting down and getting that gab

Its hard to see exactly whats going on the pic, but in person im sure it could be easier to figure out whats out of square

The middle part of the bumper looks like is pushed a little up and thats why the line with the fender wont line up, check the middle bumper suupport.....mine had the same issue, it was a little bent and pushed the middle part of my bumper up

If you can shoot better pics with better lighting it would help (like in daytime)

I currently just went through all that on my Talon project

Usually with any kind of front end damage the core support tie bar gets tweeked and will throw the headlight mounting off, not hard to fix but takes patience and a lot of fine adjusting. On the gap below the headlights with the fascia, is a different problem and here is how to fix it. I posted this over on Mitsu Media.

Does you FACTORY 2G Front fascia have large gaps below the headlights and where it meets the center of the hood? and you would like to tighen it up like when they were new. Usually after taking these off and on and modding them or whatever reason they get out of alignment and look like crap.

Here is how to fix it: There are the two steel frame extentions, that hold the front fiber reinforcement bar in place. These slide into the frame and are bolted in place up thru the frame. Loosen the 2 rear bolts & remove the 2 front ones. Have a friend(s) lift the bumper assy up snug against the headlights.

You will need a drop light and look into the front holes where you took out the front bolts, you will see the black frame extension and the flat part of the actual frame where it bolts down onto. You will need to insert a flat washer(s), or shims to fill the gap between the black extension and the frame, in some cases you may need to get a longer bolt. Tighten all four bolts up and then loosen the center upper fascia support and it should adjust up, if needed slot the mounting holes. Adjust the fit between the hood and fascia to your satisfaction and retighten. It will not hurt to lightly coat any and all of the bolt threads with anti seize.

Always use properly placed jack stands when working under the car.

The easiest way to remove your 2G front bumper assy is as follows:

Jack vehicle up and place securely on jack stands!

Remove the 3 plastic screw retainers(per side) on the plastic inner fenders where they attach to the edge of the fascia. Next pop out the side marker lights and use a can of wd40 etc and spray all the bolts liberally. There are 2 10MM bolts that hold the fascia to the bottom edge of the fender. Open hood and remove the 5 10mm bolts. If equipped with fog lamps on 2Ga's you will need to remove them also, 2Gb's will not need removed. Under the car on each frame rail are 2 14mm bolts that hold the frame extensions to the frame. Carefully with help from a friend slide your entire front assy off as seen in picture....trying to take the rubber fascia off the car seperately, without the rest of the assy., is a real challenge and time/patience consuming endeavor, and much easier this way.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You can see the frame extensions in the pic Black with 14mm bolts, this is where you need to put the shims under the front 14mm bolt between the extension and frame rail where it rests, this will lift the entire nose assy up where it belongs. Hope this helps.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back