The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Fender Flares

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cioc

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 2, 2006
Sparta, New_Jersey
A lot of people have asked me how I went about making my fender flares so here's a higher level overview of the major steps involved. Firstly I need to state that my reasoning for adding flares was that I chose to go with a tire size and wheel offset that would not rub on the suspension from the inside of the wheel/tire combo. Even though the tires stuck out I've seen other dsm's with that setup and didn't figure on it being an issue. Unfortunately my first track day with this tire combo and the Ohlin's coilovers taught me that there was a tad too much shock travel that caused the tire to hit the top of the rear fender. Luckily they just kissed and the fender didn't eat the tire and cause a massive problem. From there I decided to cut the body up and go the flare route. Flares were purchased here: http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic02c/50-1562

Step 1: With the rear shocks removed I cycled the suspension to see exactly where the tire would hit.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Step 2: Make your first cut line

Step 3: Continue to cut an arc that prevents any tire rubbing and make perpendicular cuts to create tabs. Yes you will cut through the inner fender seam.

Step 4: Bend the tabs up and make a line parallel with the body to mark next cut line.

Step 5: Cut each tab at your mark and hammer each tab up into the inside of the wheel well.

Step 6: Continue to hammer until the tabs conform to the wheel arch.

Step 7: No pics of this but tack weld the tabs inside the wheel well and use automotive panel adhesive epoxy and seam sealer. This stuff is SUPER strong and should prevent corrosion.

Step 8: Cycle the suspension again to ensure you have clearance.

Step 9: Mock up the position of your flares and bolt them to the body using rivet nuts.

Step 10: With tape on the car to protect the body, fill any/all gaps you can with automotive panel adhesive epoxy. This stuff is the 2 part epoxy that uses a dual piston caulking gun and mixes in the tip.

Step 11: Remove the flares and use a dremel/file/sandpaper to file down the epoxy to make the contour from the flare to the bodywork you desire. This step took several hours to get right.

Step 12: Repeat on other corners. The front is much easier as there is no inner fender to re-attach, just the splash guard.

Step 13: Paint if you so desire. Personally I like the way it looks matched to the body color.

Step 14: Take lots of pics and admire your work!

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back