The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

feeling of sadness bout my 420a

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97_eclipse

Probationary Member
Oct 2, 2012
cambridge, Ohio
Ok, after searching threw bolt on mods, i see my eclipse has absolutly no hope of getting to where my stock z26 is. That headers, cai, and what not does nothing to help car. Well, not without a turbo anyway. I find this very hard to believe, but none the less, you guys know whats what with these machines. What i didnt find the answer to is, how is not giving your car more, smoother colder air not going to help it? Or goin with a header not goin to let the motor exhale better? The stock mani looks horrible for flow. A header flows much better. The better the engine can breath, the better it runs. So why not with these cars? And if they make no differnce, why do people make them and why do companies make them?

In 96, I bought a brand new RS as my first car. I was totally in love with it! I started adding bolt ons like an Iceman cold air intake (wonder if any of you remember that brand :sneaky:), headers, and exhaust. At that time, with the parts and labor I was almost at the $1,000.00 mark! Sadly, I didn't really feel a difference in performance. I agree with most everyone here that you just don't get the same bang for your buck like you would owning a GST/GSX. I have a mildly modded GST now, and simply amazed at how much power it has, and the potential of more power it can make! I've had mine for nearly 3 yrs now. and I've haven't had any major issues with it. It's just like any other car! If you perform all your preventative maintenance on it, it should last you for a long time. There's not many 4 cylinder turbocharged engines that can match the 4G63T's durability and performance! Yes, I know DSM's have a bad rap about being unreliable, but you have to remember, we drive our cars hard, and we bolt stuff on that would make a V-TEC explode into a million pieces!!!! All in all, it's up to you on how you want to build your car. Wish you all the best!

I miss my 2gnt, was fun. Felt like a go cart with how quickly it revved, the sound was phenomenal. And it surprised a lot of people. But to give you an idea, look at my profile for everything I did to my car, made about 40whp over stock. Granted a high compression build or turbo helps immensely, big numbers are not its thing.

Now my current car, Tune, +25hp, Down pipe +25hp, i gotta say I am loving how easy it is to make power. Just something to consider. Even with my current high hp car, I miss my 2GNT.

420a can be plenty of fun. I had one in my first gen Neon built and with and old school Turbonetics T72 turbo. The weak part is the crank and girdle but stuff happens over 600whp. Treadstone has a really nice turbo manifold available. Do a little searching and with some help from people on the forum youll be able to tackle a turbo install.

420a Race Turbo Manifold- TREADSTONE PERFORMANCE

Wow, LOL those prices are crazy. I paid 3500 for mine 8 years ago. You can get rs/gs's in great shape for 2000(95-96) or 3-4k(97-99). 99's are usually the only ones close to 4k. But for a turbo model that actually runs like its suppose to LOL people want at least 6k most of the time around here.

I bought my Gsx Completly stock for 4k.

If you think a n/t dsm is woth over 3k you'r funny. I dont care if its a oz tenth aniversary, unlessit as extreme low miles. I mean under 80,000 miles. Other wise no.

I bought my Gsx Completly stock for 4k.

If you think a n/t dsm is woth over 3k you'r funny. I dont care if its a oz tenth aniversary, unlessit as extreme low miles. I mean under 80,000 miles. Other wise no.

+1 I bought my GSX for 4k even. Completely stock and clean. I'd be suprised to get more than 1k out of my GS and it's pretty clean too.

As far as 420a upgrades. I see where you are coming from with loving your N/T. I don't think I will ever get rid of mine. I have a CAI on it with a throttle body spacer. It pretty much just made it loud (which is awesome btw). The torque difference is really all I noticed.

Honestly I know you have heard it before, but rebuild the engine. Then after you have saved up more turbo it. It's not as hard as you would think if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. I've learned so much about my GSX in the last year since buying it.

OR: Keep the N/T and buy a GSX on the side. It is a decision I will never regret. I have my fun car and my race car. When one breaks, I have a backup. It's the same advice I give to everyone with a N/T looking to buy a GSX or upgrade HP.

91stocker, you gotta be freakin kidding me man? earlier in this thread i bassically said that dollar per performance gain its a rip off to buy these parts. i basically said that for the money spent no real gain will be made. you then go out of your way to "quote" and look up some old ass import tuner info and then post the link also.

WELL THANKS CAUSE THAT EXACTLY PROVED THE POINT I WAS TRYING TO MAKE. look at the bankroll spent. it says the cost of all these parts. TWELVE HUNDRED BUCKS for all that crap ant its peek increase in power was 4hp... FOUR LIL TINY STINKIN PONIES ALL FOR THE COST OF $1200.

the only way to make powr effectivley is to do a homemade turbo kit on a budget. buy crap like this is a wate of money. period. c'mon man, greddy header? it gave like 2hp gain and cost like 400bucks. was the gain worth the money? hell no! and import tuner sucks on reliable tech info any how. look they have a eclipse RS and they state for common swaps 4g63t. give me a break...

For $1200 I got my wet nitrous system installed at Lopers (a better shop here in Phoenix, AZ) Cold air, headers, exhaust are just pre-mods. The real power comes from a turbo or nitrous set up .

One thing crossed off the list. Trading a pistol of mine for an used brand new bumper cover. Probably will be putting it on when spring rolls around. Now if i could just find an armrest.. LOL

Ya! Got my bumper cover. And its brand new. The guy that had it bought it for his eclipse but the under carriage roughted before he could use it. Im glad i looked through apperance mods and made sure it was for a 2gb. Which i didnt know there was a difference in the same body style LOL. Now when im looking on craiglist, i see lot of eclipses with the wrong aftermarket lights. Theyre 2gb with 2ga lights. Man thatd be annoying to buy lights, get em shipped, and find out you got the wrong lights and either deal with it, or ship them back.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back