The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Fastest HX40 cars, Where you at?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM Chase

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 19, 2011
Senoia, Georgia
Minus Dave Ruby (talondave) who else has seen 9s on the 60mm HX40 using any housing? Havent found many cars at all running faster than mid 10s-11s on them, I'm talking LOW 10s or 9s at 140mph or so... Itching to get back to the 9s and I know this turbo is half the price of a 62/6466. With that being said I'm going to put some faith in the holset and more than likely get one from Justin on here, pair that with a T3 BEP hotside and shoot for high 9s @ 140 with a stock converter setup.

if you're shooting for high 9's I'd go with a holset hotside or anything bigger than the t3, I machined some of the first custom t3 hotsides to fit holset turbos(still running one to this day) and when I look at my HP numbers compared to others with similar setups I see that I'm suffering due to lack of exhaust flow through the t3 housing... not saying you can't hit 9's on it,just saying something like the twin scroll holset housing or something akin to a t4 would make much more sense for utilizing the airflow potential of a maxed out hx40 comp wheel

2 of my friends are on the quest to hit 9s. We'll see on the next track event. @DSM_ThuNDeR Hit a 10.6 missing 4th gear and coasting at the end of the track.

9.5@145 here. On only a 1.53 60'. Car does consistent 1.3s and the 9.5 pass was only on 33psi.
s
Hell yea ive seen some of your videos, I know the hx40 is more than capable I just wanted to hear it from some of you guys...

That maroon laser from Texas/ Oklahoma. I suspect it will be tough to get it on the stock converter with the bep t3 but it will make power
Nothing a 100 Shot cant fix ;).

Hopefully some of these guys will shed some info for us. I've heard a lot about them but don't know what type of setups they're running. I'm currently looking for an hx40 for a good deal but can't find one atm.

That's making jam for only 33psi on a 2.0. Calculators would say 650 for 9.5/2850 or 695 for 145 trap (through an auto!!) Nice work!:applause:
Thanks man! Made a little under 500hp to the tire on a mustang dyno at 33psi. Made 550+hp at 41psi having some issues spinning on the dyno. Heres the video just because I love it.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

@ Beans- If you don't mind me asking, are you using a prox switch to pick up an additional camshaft signal?

Also fwiw, my clutch took a dump at the track this year, but I was able to trap 101 in the 1/8th in a 3300lb 2g with a stock 6 bolt bottom end. Pressure was at ~30psi and I generally pick up between 29-31mph on the big end. I'm not quite in the league of some of the guys here, but I do love the HX40.

I would like to run low 10s on my HX40 but I doubt I will be able to do it without nitrous. I have a 6 blade HX40 from Justin in a Bep 55 AR housing. I wanted streetable DD auto car. The small housing does choke the top end. I installed some Kelford 272, JMF IM, and CXR tubular EM. The car breathes decent on the top end for a 2.3 2g head.

Even on 26" tires an auto needs to rev out to around 8500 - 9500 rpm to do 140mph in 3rd gear. My setup has peak power around 6.5-7k rpm.

I plan on using nitrous. 2 stages, 1 wet before the TB to stall the car, 1 dry before the turbo for top end power.

In theory a dry shot before the turbo will increase the efficiency of the turbo, allow it to create boost easier, and drop intake temps. Since it is easier to make boost u can actually have ecmlink open the wastegate to compensate and bring boost back down to what is was before the nitrous shot.

For the price of a nitrous install and usage, get a twin-scroll manifold and build more boost on the line, perhaps. You'll lose the choke up top, too.

Thanks man! Made a little under 500hp to the tire on a mustang dyno at 33psi. Made 550+hp at 41psi having some issues spinning on the dyno. Heres the video just because I love it.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
I expect close to 600whp with a .70AR, seeing you made pretty much 500 at 33psi and a little over 550 at 40psi I would think that you'd make more, maybe you need some 280 cams and Q16, damn auto eats all our power...but you a lower control arm killa.

Last edited:
Nitrous kits are $4-500. A twin scroll manifold is 800 minimum, plus two wastegates, new down pipe, new rad fan setup, etc... And I had the kit laying around from my old car.

I expect close to 600whp with a .70AR, seeing you made pretty much 500 at 33psi and a little over 550 at 40psi I would think that you'd make more, maybe you need some 280 cams and Q16, damn auto eats all our power...but you a lower control arm killa.

Ignore his dyno numbers. Like at his trap speed vs weight. It's making a lot of power.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back