The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

faster spooling turbo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielkile

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 11, 2010
York, Pennsylvania
I am currently running an hx35 and im looking to find something that is around the same size and can make 500+ hp but spool a little faster, price isnt really an issue just looking for a good fast spooling turbo. let me know what you guys think. (I have the extream psi hotside on it)

The HX35 is widely-known as being the fastest-spooling and least-expensive turbo capable of 500-550whp with the proper supporting mods.

I'm not sure what you're seeking here, but you can't have a 500+hp turbo that spools like a 16G....it just doesn't exist. You can spend more money for something ball bearing and you may get quicker spool or boost recovery, but you're not going to gain any real airflow and the price is ridiculous. You can also drop down to a smaller platform running a TD05H turbine, but then you're limited to power output as I don't know of any TD05H turbos that are 500hp-capable.

You're at a crossroad of dealing with what you have, spending more money to gain spool but not gain any power, and downsizing to get some spool back but make less total airflow.

If you are worried about spool with a 500+ whp turbo.. you do not want a 500+ whp turbo.

Have you played with your setup at all to tweak your spool?

Extreme PSI does not make turbine housings, do you have the BEP Bolt on housing? If you do, you are not going to find a faster spooling turbo as capable as the S200sx-56 or the HX35.

Try playing with spark and cam timing. Make sure there are not leaks. Pre-turbo water injection and or a switch to E85 can help.

Perhaps an FP Green? But like others have already said, when you are looking for that much power you need to sacrifice some spool time.

Well just by looking at your mods, if you are running an HX35 and want a faster spool, I might recommend abandoning the GM-MAFT and going with Speed Density for tuning; its much more accurate and easier to tune with (so you can more accurately get everything dialed in to try and achieve a quicker spool), also I see you are running a 272/272 combo, which that right there is going to hurt your spool time no question, you [might try] for a 264/272 combo...here is a great read: Famous DSM Camshaft Test | Technical | Resources | AMS Performance

Oh, and do a boost leak test just in case.

ANYTHING AFTER HERE IS JUST STUFF I TYPED AND DON'T WANT TO DELETE BUT I PERSONALLY CONSIDER TO BE ALTERNATIVES TO SWAPPING OUT A SINGLE CAMSHAFT.

Perhaps an FP Green? But like others have already said, when you are looking for that much power you need to sacrifice some spool time.

I would agree with Maniak here, looking at the reviews of the FP Green it seems to be right up your alley: Forced Performance Turbochargers: FP GREEN for DSM

On another note, using nitrous would aid in lowering the amount of time it would take to spool the turbo. Granted the more practical use for N2O eliminating lag would be on an HX40 or HX52...

Additionally, here is something the LS1 guys came up with [for those who have divided exhaust housings]: Motovative Insta-Boost Quick Spool valve - LS1TECH

Last edited:
Well just by looking at your mods, if you are running an HX35 and want a faster spool, I might recommend abandoning the GM-MAFT and going with Speed Density for tuning; its much more accurate and easier to tune with, also I see you are running a 272/272 combo, which that right there is going to hurt your spool time no question, you might try for a 264/272 combo...here is a great read: Famous DSM Camshaft Test | Technical | Resources | AMS Performance

Oh, and do a boost leak test just in case.

ANYTHING AFTER HERE IS JUST STUFF I TYPED AND DON'T WANT TO DELETE BUT I PERSONALLY CONSIDER TO BE ALTERNATIVES TO SWAPPING OUT A SINGLE CAMSHAFT.

I would agree with Maniak here, looking at the reviews of the FP Green it seems to be right up your alley: Forced Performance Turbochargers: FP GREEN for DSM

On another note, using nitrous would aid in lowering the amount of time it would take to spool the turbo. Granted the more practical use for N2O eliminating lag would be on an HX45 or HX50...

Additionally, here is something the LS1 guys came up with: Motovative Insta-Boost Quick Spool valve - LS1TECH

:shhh:

Couple things.. First he has the bolt on housing.. round single entry volute.. why are you recommending a quick spool valve, they are only for divided housings.

Second - there is no HX45. Aas far as nitrous is concerned, its not really all that practical for a DD.. also illegal in many places.

Third - how would switching his metering system from MAF to SD alter his spool appreciably?

Fourth - he should just nut up, keep his cams, get some cam gears and take advantage of the 55+lb/min compressor he has with some proper bumpsticks. This is a turbo that you wind out with.

Playing with the overlap, by advancing the intake, retarding the exhaust or both he will bring the turbo on much faster, at the expense of some top end. Which is the best compromise in this situation.

No one has gone into N20 here? What about quick spooling turbine/n20 combo for the goal of 500hp is this even an option? I am asking here as I have never run a combo but have seen it done.

I in fact read the post, maybe I should have been more specific WHY is it not recommended assuming the legal stuff is of course obeyed. 500 hp can also be illegal in some places. Mods if this should be a new thread I apologize. I was looking to learn about using this combo to achieve the op's goal of faster spool and 500hp with specifics.

Guess it would also depend on what the 500hp goal is for street or?

People make too big of a deal about spool time.

Find a turbo that best meets your power needs (and other criteria).

You're driving style will change to account for the characteristics of the new turbo.

-- On a side note, my GT40R makes 500 @ 36 psi(uncorrected to the wheels) at 5200 rpm and a mile above sea level. That's "quick" in my book.

Hal

You're driving style will change to account for the characteristics of the new turbo.

Hal

Exactly, my talon has a HY35 on it an it sees 35psi at about 4600, My galant has a 16g in a 6cm housing. It would see 30 psi by 3000. Talon still makes more power at 3000rpm and 15psi.

These cars are never going to have power like a big block, why keep trying?

I in fact read the post, maybe I should have been more specific WHY is it not recommended assuming the legal stuff is of course obeyed. 500 hp can also be illegal in some places. Mods if this should be a new thread I apologize. I was looking to learn about using this combo to achieve the op's goal of faster spool and 500hp with specifics.

Guess it would also depend on what the 500hp goal is for street or?

Where in the US is merely having 500whp illegal? Besides, how would one prove that either way during a traffic stop or inspection?

If you do a search you will see people have done what you are asking about.

-- On a side note, my GT40R makes 500 (uncorrected to the wheels) at 5200 rpm at a mile above sea level. That's "quick" in my book.

Hal

My sentiments precisely.

It seems that the op is looking for a twin scroll setup.....

I would be shocked if he could get even a 12cm2 housing on stock cams to spool that turbo any faster than the bolt on he already has.

Back when I had the 59mm S200sx in the bolt on housing (74/64 turbine mind you) it spooled similar if not identical to a Greddy 18G I had some years ago. That was with a relatively big cam as well. Now a 56-58mm HX35 with a smaller turbine in what is basically the same housing should easily out-spool that.

He does have junk BC cams though, maybe his problem is they are not dead nuts on to begin with.. which is where the cam gears recommendation is coming from.

So if he's exhausted all the other options listed.. maybe he should just downshift LOL

Or by some folks logic.. a T25 and a 250 shot.. Hope you have some 20lb bottles on hand.

thanks everyone I have been hearing a lot about trying a twin scroll set up, i'll have to just mess around with it I just wasnt sure if there was anything out there that would spoll up faster. Thanks again!

Wow now my use of logic is in question because I asked to learn LOL you are amazing.

DIY Nitrous Oxide (N2O) Injection and Turbo Engines n20 increases exhaust rate, do not know where 250 shot came from, I think he is taking it to extremes in an attempt at being funny. I truly was looking to find out why this wouldn't help the op as long as it was done legally. Seeing as 500hp cannot be fully utilized on public roads legally I made a few assumptions I ###### shouldn't have. OP I hope you find a route that works for your goal good day!

These cars are never going to have power like a big block, why keep trying?

1. Convert to a 2.3L stroker for more torque.
2. Use cams optimized for low/mid range power (264/264).
3. Put a high stall torque converter in front of the automatic transmission.
4. Be happy with the maximum power from a 16G.

I don't have 500 WHP but the Talon pulls under a fresh green light like a V8 with no turbo lag.

If measured in RPM the talon doesn't spool any better than a manual DSM. But when measured in seconds after throttle down it's much quicker.

Seeing as 500hp cannot be fully utilized on public roads legally I made a few assumptions I ###### shouldn't have.

You don't have a ####ing clue what you're talking about.

Making blanket statements like this.

My car makes 500hp @ 70mph.

That's certainly a legal speed on some the roads around here, so accelerating to that speed while entering the freeway is a legal use of 500hp.

Do yourself a favor, stop posting and start searching.

The knowledge you seek can be gleaned with a little effort on your part.

Hal

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back