The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Fan size help.. my coolant temp is out of control

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enriquez2000

Proven Member
Oct 5, 2014
fort collins, Colorado
I dont have an fmic yet.. i have a koyo radiator with some 13" slim fan that was given to me with it.. no idea what cfm its pulling.i still have the ac fan in place so it comes on in an emergency as intended.

I drove home 2 nights ago(97* out) and check engine started going on and off after i got into atop and go traffic. Plugged in lap top and coolant temps were 240. My gauge in car never moved beyond halfway so since i needed to replace it i went ahead and got a new thermostat to put in while coolant was drained.

Well today it was 85... had laptop on the whole drive to monitor. Temps got to 223 once i hit stop and go again.

At this point i feel the fan isnt pulling enough so im wondering what i should get...

There is a 1710 cfm 13" spal, but that leaves little room for a second fan. I saw some 12" spal that are 1200cfm i think. 2 of thise would net me 2400cfm.

Ive heard bad things about the mishimoto kit with shroud but no personal experience.

Basically i want to buy only once and not do the trial and error thing so im looking for solid input. Ideally id like temps no higher than 205 after the fmic goes in. But definitely 240 with no fmic is bad news already.

I can't comment on the CFM requirement. I can tell you SPAL makes some of the best fans on the market though. I would say use the largest fan you can fit! There has to be a formula on google or something, that can tell you exactly how many CFM's you need..

Maybe this will help? https://www.a1electric.com/spal/faninfo.htm

I have one siliconeintakes.com slim fan on my oem radiator. And I have a 3.5" fmic and don't have a single issue. And it's frickin hot out here bro. I think my fans a 14" and I have it wired always on. What are you using for coolant? I run one bottle of Royal purple ice and water and that's it.

I have one siliconeintakes.com slim fan on my oem radiator. And I have a 3.5" fmic and don't have a single issue. And it's frickin hot out here bro. I think my fans a 14" and I have it wired always on. What are you using for coolant? I run Royal purple ice and water and that's it.
i just use regular prestone 50/50... i had no issues with the stock stuff.. but now with aluminum radiator and slim fan its acting up... 223* temps on an 85* day is way too high. Hell my honda with a half radiator stays 190

I've been using this fan system for almost 3 years now,
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/flx-420

The fans fit perfect, work perfect, and look perfect, But because of the high amp draw you'll need to re-wire in relays. I have mine wired to come on as if they're stock, so they're not running all the time.

A couple other things that you might wanna look into...

- Make sure the car's coolant system is 100% with no air in the system, also make sure the coolant overflow system is working and its capacity is large enough.

- Install a air dam under the car. (don't waste your time making one out of metal), it will just constantly bend, Instead head over to the salvage yard and pull a oem plastic air dam off a random car. (almost all GM cars use air dam's.) I found one off 2000ish Saturn that is spring loaded and folds, engineering marvel i must say, unbelievable i found it on a freakin Saturn.

^^ exactly what he's saying ;) LOL Ya I here ya that's crazy and not good. I had the same issues with my Honda half on my gvr4. It just wasn't enough in traffic to much heat and not enough area to dissipate it. Is your radiator new or used? How old is your thermostat? Maybe it's sticking

Do you have them wired always on or just stock? Are you sure there coming on when there supposed to? I'm also running the oem 180. And ya make sure it's burped all the way. These cars like to get you some times LOL. I usually check a few times after driving and letting it cool off. And I squeeze the hoses alittle to really make sure it all gets out.

Last edited:
I have a 13 inch spal slim fan that pulls the 1777 cfm of air. In order for it to fit fine, you will have to trim the shroud a bit. However the amount of air this fan pulls is insane. I have vrsf intercooler(which blocks all possible air to the radiator) and a cx racing radiator and i never have heating problems. I have tested this with driving the car in the city at 85 degrees out. Also purge the system for air and make sure there are no leaks. Im also running the oem 180 degree thermo.

A shroud around the slim fan would help a lot. Also, if you are stock turbo, run all the heat sheilds you can in the engine bay, or even ceramic coat or heat wrap hot exhaust parts.

223 is honestly normal operating temp. A little warmer than I like but its not hurting anything.

Also, is the a/c condenser still in the car?

223 is not normal bro, more like 190-210. I know our cars run alittle hotter than most, but there's no reason it should be that hot. He doesn't even have a fmic yet so he really shouldn't be that hot. How old is your water pump?

Yes, time to pressure test the coolant system. If all is good on the pressure test make sure all the air is out of the system and it's completely topped off. I would check the radiator cap too and maybe replace that if it's never been done. If it passes a pressure test, there is absolutely no air in the system and it's topped off, and the thermostat and cap have been replaced I don't see why it would overheat unless the impeller on the water pump is wasted.

Yes, time to pressure test the coolant system. If all is good on the pressure test make sure all the air is out of the system and it's completely topped off. I would check the radiator cap too and maybe replace that if it's never been done. If it passes a pressure test, there is absolutely no air in the system and it's topped off, and the thermostat and cap have been replaced I don't see why it would overheat unless the impeller on the water pump is wasted.

Waterpump was replaced 5k miles ago. Ill try and borrow a pressure tester for system. Iput on a 1.3 bar cap to see if it helps as of this morning. Ill know on my drive home tonight.

How much would a shroud knock off the temps... i know its not exact, lookin for a guesstimate

I drove to work and while driving steady the coolant temps would dip 174 to 180 with the cool morning air here in colorado. Once I reached stop and go it would get to 203 then cool down as I drove... Im wondering what will happen when i drive home in 80* weather now.. It doesnt seem like anything clogged because as i get cooler airflow the temps come down to where the 180* thermostat lets them.

Try a bottle of Water Wetter or two. I run 70/30 and a bottle of that and a siliconeintake.com fan and my temps stay around 200, maybe a little warmer in stop and go traffic.

Last edited:
How much does water wetter help? Im not buying 20* like website boasts
Actually quit a bit, before I used it I was running 217-220, but I also switched to 70% water 30% Antifreeze. I'd say give it a try, at worst it's just going to lubricate your water pump better.

Also, make sure you don't have any air in your system. Try burping it if you haven't.

Actually quit a bit, before I used it I was running 217-220, but I also switched to 70% water 30% Antifreeze. I'd say give it a try, at worst it's just going to lubricate your water pump better.

Also, make sure you don't have any air in your system. Try burping it if you haven't.
Cooler day but still hit 216 once i hit the city. I decided to wire the ac fan into the slim fan so they both come on at the same time and see what that does.

One thing i noticed doing that is the ac fan pulls air so much harder than the slim fan... i had no idea the stockers were that powerful... i very well may need a couple good fans... silicone intakes rates theirs at like 1600cfm for the 12inch... seems high and they are also out of stock at the moment.

If your ac OEM fan pulls more air then the slim fan, then all what you need is just a good fan,.

I would go with shroud style which are way more efficient.
Here are some good options for you,

https://www.flex-a-lite.com/electric-fans/dual-12-1-8-inch-lo-profile-s-blade-electric-fan.html

https://www.flex-a-lite.com/electri...h-lo-profile-s-blade-electric-pusher-fan.html

https://www.flex-a-lite.com/reversible-dual-12-1-8-inch-x-treme-s-blade-electric-fan.html

I personally prefer the 490 which is a reversible fan which can be used as puller or pusher for future upgrades.

Im using the 490 as pusher and i havent get a problerm with it.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/dual-fal-fans-490-vs-440-vs-420.495822/

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back