The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

External Wastegate?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JadeDrgnShinobi

Probationary Member
Jun 6, 2004
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Hey Guys,
I have a question about modifying my Turbo set up for an external wastegate. My Car is a 3000gt VR4. And it has a TD05 Manifold set up with EV03 16gs on it. It made 624 WHP. But Im looking to make more! And i want to run a pair of FPGreens. BUt I was really want to run over to External Gates.

So what I need to know is:

Can i put an external gate on my 02 Housing? Will it function correctly with the FPGreen thats set up for an external gate?

I circled it in red for you guys!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

A pair of greens on that would be awesome and IMO a bit much and the greens do have the internal gate option. I doubt you would need external gates with such potent turbos on that and if you want that gate cracking sound you can just open dump the gate pipes. So anyway if you really want the ex-gates you can either: weld flange on manifolds or find/custom build an external gated O2 housing and remove the flapper if applicable on the green.

The problem with my set up now, is the rear turbo has to be clocked upside down, which makes using the internal wastegate difficult. The compressor faces up, while everything else is down. simplicity sake Externals would be better.

So i take it I cant put a gate in that pipe. It has to be in the manifold. which is a no go because of the space and the way the manifolds are set up.

Instead of a Green, you should look into a billet 20G. Inducer is the same as the Green (52.5mm) and it has a 73mm extended-tip spec on the wheels I use, which is the same as the Green's exducer.

Performance would be on-par with a Green in terms of compressor airflow at various boost levels but you could pair the 20G to a TD05H turbine in a 7cm2 housing since you're theoretically only using the exhaust energy from a 1.5L 3-cylinder to spool it....so you wouldn't get the giant gain in lag that you would from a Green with it's 8cm2 housing and TD06-spec turbine. Plus you can use a stock-appearing cover like the Evo III 16G for clearance reasons versus the bulky TD06-style cover.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back