The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Exhaust Options for a 1995 GSX on a budget

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSXRunner

Proven Member
Feb 24, 2013
Queens, New_York
My exhaust is looking like Swiss cheese and sounds like a Harley. I got another month or so until inspection is due, so I need to replace at least from the Cat Back for now, at most, the whole system. I want to know what my options are because I'm not really looking for some high performance exhaust that is going to destroy my wallet, something that is just stock is fine; price is my main objective.

I bought the 3 inch ebay srs for my gst it was 199 it sounds too good to be true but it fit awesome I installed in my driveway during winter. Don't be afraid of ebay for exhaust and intake pipe. it's tough to mess up a 3 inch pipe LOL. hasn't rusted yet either. my awd I bought with exhaust sounds great I can't tell u price tho. best of luck

Was it an SRS? How did you connect it to a cat? Unless it has a 2.5" flange for it.

I have the downpipe as well no cat 150 for dp 199 for cat back

I need the cat for inspection. I bought a new cat a couple of years ago and stored it away because I know when I mess with the exhaust, the old one is going to crumble to dust. I got by last year by patching up all the holes in the exhaust with muffler weld. I sanded them flush and painted the whole POS exhaust high temperature black. It passed inspection but there's no way I'm going to be able to pull that off this year; large chunks of the exhaust are already gone. It's wide open right after the cat, not to mention all the little holes in the downpipe. So I need a new downpipe too, but my dilemma is that no one sells a downpipe for my car that will bolt to a cat. I guess cats on GSX's are obsolete these days.

For New York state inspection your catalytic converter needs to be installed on the car and only has to pass a visual inspection.
Since your car is a 95 it does not need to pass an OBDII inspection. Even a non functional converter would pass a visual inspection. Also other than having the converter present there is no other exhaust related inspection. Leaks and rusted or missing muffler or pipes still pass.

For New York state inspection your catalytic converter needs to be installed on the car and only has to pass a visual inspection.

Yeah, but you still have to have the cat present so it's not going to help me any.

Since your car is a 95 it does not need to pass an OBDII inspection. Even a non functional converter would pass a visual inspection. Also other than having the converter present there is no other exhaust related inspection. Leaks and rusted or missing muffler or pipes still pass.

Well my car sounds like a Panhead Harley. I really do need to get an exhaust; people look at me like I'm some kind of a nut when I drive around town. My point is, if I do anything to the exhaust, the converter will fall apart. You're not going to pass inspection with half of a converter hanging from the down pipe. It has to be at least visibly functional. The idea of leaks and missing muffler is interesting because a few years ago I lived in Missouri and if I had one tiny leak in the exhaust, they would fail me. They wouldn't even allow me to patch it up with muffler weld. I had to either weld or clamp in a new piece. It's odd that they don't fail a bad exhaust; can't they fail it because it is too loud?

Get a fake cat and have them weld it in the dp. They are literally just a shell welded to a straight pipe.
http://www.siliconeintakes.com/dsm-intercooler-piping/catalytic-converter-p-320.html

I think it might be too loud for my taste if the cat was hollowed out. I just bought an SRS type catback and it is able to bolt directly to the flange of my brand new cat. Problem is, where the hell can I get a down pipe that would bolt onto the other side going to my stock manifold? It just seems like there would be a huge market for that pipe, but I can't find any anywhere. All I see is 3"; the only ones that will bolt up are for the GST.

I put the exhaust in today; it's sounds good! I kept the old downpipe because I'm unsure of what I want to replace it with at this point; I eventually will replace it though. The DP is so bad that the hanger mounts broke off; I had to weld them back. I thought for sure that the flange on the downpipe was going to fall apart because the nuts looked so bad I couldn't put a wrench on them. I tried heating them to cherry and turning them with vice grips, but it was a no go. Between a Sawzall, a cutoff wheel and a pry bar I was able to cut the old flange off the old converter. It was so bad that after cutting off both sides of the bolt (on the non-threaded side), I couldn't even knock out the little pieces of bolt that was left. I wound up drilling them out, breaking a bit in the process; but in the end I now have a drive-able DSM.

I think what I'm going to do it buy a 3" DP, a 3" high flow cat; weld a couple of flanges on the ends and bolt it right in.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back