The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Excedy stage 1 problem after 20k

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldsid

Supporting VIP
Apr 26, 2006
Calgary, AB_Canada
I installed and Excedy stage 1 clutch with a new OEM fork, TOB and machined the flywheel as per OEM specs. I never abused it and it worked fine until.
The car was sitting for about six month because of CAS problem that I fixed (See my post In Engine..Section). The clutch is an Excedy Stage 1 with about 20k and it started slipping a bit at high RPM. The pressure plate feels very firm and the adjustment is as recommended by the shop manual. After driving it few hundred miles since it was stopped, it started shaking when engaging the clutch and slipping. It will finally hold but if I press the gas hard it will start slipping and shaking a bit. After about 300 miles since started, the shaking at engagement and the slippage got worst to the point I stopped driving. I am suspecting that a spring on the disc has broken and a small piece may be stuck between the disc and the pressure plate or flywheel.
I like the feel of the pressure plate and I was wondering if it's OK to just change the disc if what I suspect is correct. Also, can anyone recommend a good replacement disc?

Did you use an OEM release bearing or the one supplied with the Exedy kit? Can you hear any abnormal noises when pressing the clutch pedal and feeling the shaking/vibrations? If so, does it go away when you let fo of the clutch pedal?

Also when you were installing the release bearing on the fork, do you remember how you put the safety clip? It can be mounted in two ways, only one of which is correct. If that clip gets loosened or broken, it could make the bearing not sit nicely on the fork and cause similar issues.

Did you use an OEM release bearing or the one supplied with the Exedy kit? Can you hear any abnormal noises when pressing the clutch pedal and feeling the shaking/vibrations? If so, does it go away when you let fo of the clutch pedal?

Also when you were installing the release bearing on the fork, do you remember how you put the safety clip? It can be mounted in two ways, only one of which is correct. If that clip gets loosened or broken, it could make the bearing not sit nicely on the fork and cause similar issues.

I used a new OEM TOB and a new OEM fork and installed everything as it should be and changed the clutch fluid. I remember rechecking everything and I made sure the TOB bearing clip was seated properly before I mounted the transmission. There is no noise when I press the clutch and it feels as firm as new. If the clip of the TOB breaks, it will not fall between the disk and the pressure plate. The shaking at engagement is usually caused by a misalignment of the disc and the pressure plate/flywheel and this can happen if a small piece is stuck on one side between the disc and the pressure plate. The small piece could be also a broken piece from the diaphragm spring. A piece like that is thin but if stuck on one side, it can make the disc misalign and the pressure plate grab on one side only which explain the shaking during clutch engagement. I will see if my theory is right when I will remove the transmission to check it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back