The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Evo3 16g oil feed

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 17, 2005
Mount Airy, Maryland
I am installing a evo3 16g and have an oil feed question. i have scoured the forums and many threads touch on the issue of oil restrictors but no clear answers. The 2g feed line from the ofh has a flarenut fitting with a restrictor orfice in it however, the evo 3 oil feed hole in the housing center section has a small orfice at the bottom of it, so the restrictor is apparently built into the turbo itself is this correct? Also, i have installed a bsek and have read that porting the oilfilter housing relief valve is neccesary to limit excessive oil pressure. is this true ?

Justin, does having the balance shaft eliminated affect where the oil should be fed from? Sorry for kinda hijacking this thread but i didn't want to start another one with similiar questions. I got my hands on a 14b and am thinking of installing it on my 2g and i'm also confused with where i should feed the oil from. I also have my balance shaft eliminated and was debating whether i should feed from the head or the OFH.

Justin, does having the balance shaft eliminated affect where the oil should be fed from? Sorry for kinda hijacking this thread but i didn't want to start another one with similiar questions. I got my hands on a 14b and am thinking of installing it on my 2g and i'm also confused with where i should feed the oil from. I also have my balance shaft eliminated and was debating whether i should feed from the head or the OFH.
Balance shaft elimination can add 30-40psi to your peak oil pressures at the filter housing; even more if your engine does not have oil squirters.

Feed it from the head with a 1G feed line or use a .070" restrictor if you want to feed from the filter housing for any reason or the turbo won't last long.
But don't you want to feed journal bearing turbo's from the OFH? I could be wrong. Just asking.
This does not apply to all turbos, obviously.

Every turbo has recommended oil pressures for operation. MHI cartridges want no more than 48psi at the inlet. The filter housing easily doubles this.

ALL MHI turbos are fed from the head at the factory....13G's, 14B's, and all of the Evo 16G's including the Evo VIII and IX.

Not sure if this is where i post this but i also have a 14b on my 2g gst and bought this kit before i knew they needed a recommend psi.It did come with a fitting for the turbo not sure if that's the restrictor both ends are pretty open.If not where could i buy the right one?

i ran my 16g and my 14b from a stock 1g line straight to the head. no problems ever with either one just make sure not to kink the line

There is no restrictor in the turbo.

Just feed your 16G from the head as it was intended to be fed using a factory 1G oil feed line and your problems will be solved.

THANK YOU FOR MAKING THINGS SIMPLE AND EASY TO UNDERSTAND regarding where to source oil from when installing! I also greatly appreciated the fact that you sent me a SS line, J- Pipe gasket and Oil return gasket with the rebuilt E316G!!!!

Sorry for sounding like a newbie but how the I feed my oil line from the head, I searched, here, tried YouTube .. Is there any forums that give you a step by step? I'm running my 16g oil line from ofh...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back