2G Evo3 16 rebuild

Posted by Turbodhi, Mar 18, 2018

Please Support Boostin Performance
Tags:
  1. Turbodhi

Turbodhi Probationary Member

Joined Oct 18, 2015
    Olathe, Kansas
    Hey guys, I just picked up an Evo3 16g for a hundred bucks. The turbine wheel looks a bit worse for wear and I would like to replace it. Any suggestions on who to go to for rebuild and balance?

My DSM:
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

Street Build

T25   manual
  2. 2gmitsueclipse

2gmitsueclipse DSM Wiseman

Joined Jul 13, 2005
    Auburn Hills, Michigan
    My DSM:
    1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Autocross Build

T25   manual
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

Street Build

16g   manual
    1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo

Autocross Build

14b   manual
  3. Brembo

Brembo Proven Member

Joined Aug 17, 2014
    Clifton, New Jersey
    I rebuild mine myself. I bought a kit online 50 dollars later it was rebuild. Really easy. But it is real mhi turbo. Others don't know. As far as balancing goes I believe Mitsubishi is component balanced and so far I don't have any issues. Their is really good video on YouTube of how to do it. I used it and worked like a charm. Good luck any questions let me know.

My DSM:
  4. Turbodhi

Turbodhi Probationary Member

Joined Oct 18, 2015
    Olathe, Kansas
    I don't mind rebuilding it myself but I need a new turbine wheel. And if I replaced that, I might as well get the compressor wheel and have the balanced.

My DSM:
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

Street Build

T25   manual
  5. JusMX141

JusMX141 Moderator

Joined Dec 13, 2005
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Pretty much all turbos you encounter these days have balanced components. This doesn't correct for stackup unbalance, however...which is what you encounter when small imperfections on thrust parts or wheels add up to a major unbalance at the end of the shaft when torqued. The larger the rotor group is the less that stackup unbalance is truly an issue, but in any turbo that's being pushed it's a good idea to have the rotor group balanced to ensure nothing will go wrong in the future.

Here's a video from a shop that has the same machine I do which explains why stackup unbalance can cost you a turbo a little better...anything over a 4 or 5 on the meter is major unbalance- if it pegs the meter, the vibration is bad enough that the shaft will break:

6. Brembo

Brembo Proven Member

Joined Aug 17, 2014
    Clifton, New Jersey
    Thanks for sharing.

My DSM:
  7. tametalon92

tametalon92 Proven Member

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    spokane, Washington
    Nice vid, out of curiosity, whats one of those machines cost?

I've rebuilt a few original mhi and holset turbos that didn't need any major parts replaced, just bearings, so i just mark the wheels and other hardware and reassemble, haven't had issues with any yet, but with new parts id definitely want a balance, even with components individually done.

Thanks again Justin!

My DSM:
  8. JusMX141

JusMX141 Moderator

Joined Dec 13, 2005
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    You can't buy that exact machine any longer because Heins is no longer in business, but the closest standalone analog unit in current production is the WCB30 which is believe sells for just shy of $10k. There are cheaper (Chinese?) digital machines out there but what do you do 5 years down the road when the operating system is no longer supported or an accelerometer stops reading?

19gsx91 likes this.
  9. tametalon92

tametalon92 Proven Member

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    spokane, Washington
    Gotcha, I figured as much. Be a sweet piece to have!

My DSM: