The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Evo3 16 rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbodhi

Proven Member
Oct 18, 2015
Olathe, Kansas
Hey guys, I just picked up an Evo3 16g for a hundred bucks. The turbine wheel looks a bit worse for wear and I would like to replace it. Any suggestions on who to go to for rebuild and balance?

I rebuild mine myself. I bought a kit online 50 dollars later it was rebuild. Really easy. But it is real mhi turbo. Others don't know. As far as balancing goes I believe Mitsubishi is component balanced and so far I don't have any issues. Their is really good video on YouTube of how to do it. I used it and worked like a charm. Good luck any questions let me know.

I don't mind rebuilding it myself but I need a new turbine wheel. And if I replaced that, I might as well get the compressor wheel and have the balanced.

As far as balancing goes I believe Mitsubishi is component balanced and so far I don't have any issues.
Pretty much all turbos you encounter these days have balanced components. This doesn't correct for stackup unbalance, however...which is what you encounter when small imperfections on thrust parts or wheels add up to a major unbalance at the end of the shaft when torqued. The larger the rotor group is the less that stackup unbalance is truly an issue, but in any turbo that's being pushed it's a good idea to have the rotor group balanced to ensure nothing will go wrong in the future.

Here's a video from a shop that has the same machine I do which explains why stackup unbalance can cost you a turbo a little better...anything over a 4 or 5 on the meter is major unbalance- if it pegs the meter, the vibration is bad enough that the shaft will break:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Pretty much all turbos you encounter these days have balanced components. This doesn't correct for stackup unbalance, however...which is what you encounter when small imperfections on thrust parts or wheels add up to a major unbalance at the end of the shaft when torqued. The larger the rotor group is the less that stackup unbalance is truly an issue, but in any turbo that's being pushed it's a good idea to have the rotor group balanced to ensure nothing will go wrong in the future.

Here's a video from a shop that has the same machine I do which explains why stackup unbalance can cost you a turbo a little better...anything over a 4 or 5 on the meter is major unbalance- if it pegs the meter, the vibration is bad enough that the shaft will break:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Nice vid, out of curiosity, whats one of those machines cost?

I've rebuilt a few original mhi and holset turbos that didn't need any major parts replaced, just bearings, so i just mark the wheels and other hardware and reassemble, haven't had issues with any yet, but with new parts id definitely want a balance, even with components individually done.

Thanks again Justin!

You can't buy that exact machine any longer because Heins is no longer in business, but the closest standalone analog unit in current production is the WCB30 which is believe sells for just shy of $10k. There are cheaper (Chinese?) digital machines out there but what do you do 5 years down the road when the operating system is no longer supported or an accelerometer stops reading?

Just did a 14B rotor group earlier tonight- got the static (untorqued) wheelset to around 1 on the readout just by clocking the compressor wheel different ways until it was the lowest starting point like I always do, and as soon as I torqued it the meter on the compressor side went to just under 6. That's a catastrophic failure waiting to happen if it's not corrected.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back