The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Evo X owner think of getting a gsx

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacolu3

Proven Member
Jan 31, 2015
Lake Grove, New_York
i currently have an evo x that I love driving and have a ton of fun in. But unfortunately I'm leasing it and am turning it in soon. I could afford to keep it but I only drive on the weekends and seems a little expensive for me to keep. So with that in mind I was thinking of getting a different weekend car and I was thinking of a gsx. Either a 1g or a 2g. I like both of them.
Just wondering if it's worth getting as a weekend project car/weekend car?
I will also have a SUV so the gsx wouldn't be my primary weekend car.
I've owned about 12 cars. A bunch of Hondas, subarus, vw, and the last car was the EVO which was by far my favorite.
So any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Brian

Itll feel more cheap inside and have more problems to deal with, but once you get it to where it should be you will love it. Definately do it. In fact, get a 1g and a 2g ive thought about selling my car for an evo8 though. Well by sell i mean part out the things that i couldnt transfer over, which is almost everything. Then there are evo3's ;)

Not too concerned about the interior. Would most likely change the front seats out anyway. I guess my first job will be to find one in good shape that's not overpriced.

Not too concerned about the interior. Would most likely change the front seats out anyway. I guess my first job will be to find one in good shape that's not overpriced.
I hope you are patient. That is the number one strategy for buying these things. Unless you are capable of doing a complete tear-down and rebuild (painting the frame etc...). They are fun no doubt, and upgrades are cheaper than the newer evo upgrades.

I'd say go for it! Leases are a good way to piss away money. My only advice is to be patient and find a solid car to start with.

My initial plan is to find a decent gsx and be drivable. Once I find one find a new engine and tear it it down and build it. Once I have all the parts do the swap with the bult engine. Nothing crazy just enough to handle 400 whp. I think having a second car will make me more patient unlike when I was younger and only having one car and rushing my builds.

I'd say go for it! Leases are a good way to piss away money. My only advice is to be patient and find a solid car to start with.

I think this will be the hardest part. I've been looking for a good gsx and so far the prices I've found are either 1k for something in poor condition or 14k for something in good condition. But I'm in no rush so I'll just keep my eyes open and keep doing my research.

14k? WTF?

My friend had a 98 Talon which is ungodly rare to start with 85k miles on it, replaced the entire interior with literally all new pieces which took him almost 8 years to do which includes carpets and interior clips even. Rebuilt his motor which forged internals, rebuilt the entire suspension and the drive train as well. Every bolt was replaced on the car. Literally, every single bolt...

Needless to say the car ran perfect. After spending 13,000 on it he looked at it and said. The inside is great, the motor is great... but the outside is shit. When it came to spending another 7k on the paint he sold the car. After six months on Craigslist it sold for 6,000.

The most I've ever seen spent on a DSM that wasn't asking way way way too much was Pandamans TSi. It had low miles, was a 98 TSi as well. It was AWD of course. The interior and exterior were f***ing amazing easily a 9.5/10 at least. The motor/turbo and the power it made were right up there with the rest of the car even though he ran a 50 trim on it. I can't remember exactly but it either went for 9k or 10k to some college kid who ended up f***ing it all up.

I'd say anything over 6k is probably too much. If it's under 50,000 miles and it is in GREAT shape I'd say maybe 8k. It really just depends on how rare DSMs are in your area. Also, never pay more than 3500 for a 1g. Shit you could get a 600hp 1g for around that much. And yes, I've seen it happen multiple times.

FWIW I think the 1g has better build quality than the 2g. Albeit they are getting really hard to find in running and driving condition. If the car is going to be a long term investment take the time and find a really good 1gb (1993-1994) or a very late model year 2g. Also, if you have not heard already avoid the early model year 1g. they have some inconsistencies with the rest of the 1g's and parts can be difficult.

FWIW I think the 1g has better build quality than the 2g. Albeit they are getting really hard to find in running and driving condition. If the car is going to be a long term investment take the time and find a really good 1gb (1993-1994) or a very late model year 2g. Also, if you have not heard already avoid the early model year 1g. they have some inconsistencies with the rest of the 1g's and parts can be difficult.

Great info.
I like both so honestly which ever one I find first I'll get

It's crazy. I've been looking on cars . Com and all the gsx's on there that are local are over $9k including the one for 14k. That's crazy!!

It just takes time. I looked for 2 years before I got my 99. I also just picked up a 95 gsx fully functional with 54k original miles in pa. No rust on the struts or rockers/wheel wells. Paid 1750 for it. Cars on sites like cars.com and autotrader usually seem to have higher prices. I check craigslist weekly for dsm stuff.

It just takes time. I looked for 2 years before I got my 99. I also just picked up a 95 gsx fully functional with 54k original miles in pa. No rust on the struts or rockers/wheel wells. Paid 1750 for it. Cars on sites like cars.com and autotrader usually seem to have higher prices. I check craigslist weekly for dsm stuff.

Yeah I'm not really in a rush it's just seems crazy to me the prices these people are asking for.

i currently have an evo x that I love driving and have a ton of fun in. But unfortunately I'm leasing it and am turning it in soon. I could afford to keep it but I only drive on the weekends and seems a little expensive for me to keep. So with that in mind I was thinking of getting a different weekend car and I was thinking of a gsx. Either a 1g or a 2g. I like both of them.
Just wondering if it's worth getting as a weekend project car/weekend car?
I will also have a SUV so the gsx wouldn't be my primary weekend car.
I've owned about 12 cars. A bunch of Hondas, subarus, vw, and the last car was the EVO which was by far my favorite.
So any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Brian
I tried to post yesterday but it got deleted , I have two 98 GSX I'm trying to sell but it's a package deal, one is ALL STOCK and the other is basically a parts car unless you wanted to put some work into it and get a rebuilt title. It's nice bc you know you have MOST of the replacements parts conveniently by your side as far as body and main engine components. The interiors are different color. My stock one, my baby, is 9/10 grey leather interior, only problem is sunroof carpet would need to be replaced, it's sagging, she's automatic with 164,000. The problems, would need a paint job, but body is perfect. And she's hard, resistant when trying to go, I'm guessing transmission or something? Also smoke comes out tail pipe, I haven't ran her since that so I'm assuming bad turbo since I don't hear it. Good news. Can be painted. If it's transmission you have two backups. One in the other GsX and also one in the trunk. Previous guy I got it from drag raced that one thouh. Anyway. Clean title, id sell as a package deal for $3000.00. So that's both cars Let me know
[email protected]
And if anybody could possibly out in classifieds for me I would be greatly appreciated since this site doesn't let you as a newbie. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 38
I tried to post yesterday but it got deleted , I have two 98 GSX I'm trying to sell but it's a package deal, one is ALL STOCK and the other is basically a parts car unless you wanted to put some work into it and get a rebuilt title. It's nice bc you know you have MOST of the replacements parts conveniently by your side as far as body and main engine components. The interiors are different color. My stock one, my baby, is 9/10 grey leather interior, only problem is sunroof carpet would need to be replaced, it's sagging, she's automatic with 164,000. The problems, would need a paint job, but body is perfect. And she's hard, resistant when trying to go, I'm guessing transmission or something? Also smoke comes out tail pipe, I haven't ran her since that so I'm assuming bad turbo since I don't hear it. Good news. Can be painted. If it's transmission you have two backups. One in the other GsX and also one in the trunk. Previous guy I got it from drag raced that one thouh. Anyway. Clean title, id sell as a package deal for $3000.00. So that's both cars Let me know
[email protected]
And if anybody could possibly out in classifieds for me I would be greatly appreciated since this site doesn't let you as a newbie. Thanks

Seems like a good deal but your a little far for me. Looking for something more local. Thank you though.

NordicSaab said:
He'd want a 91-92.5 in actuality, the only differences between the 92.5's to 94's are the transition from 6 bolt blocks to 7 bolt and brakes from single to dual which he'd probably swap for 4-6 piston in a heart beat.

You'll find the 1g interior to be more cockpity and a little more interesting then the 2g.

I used to have an Evo X. You're not going to be happy with the DSM unless you're ok with a down grade.

Buy my Talon. 98 AWD, 5speed, no sunroof, loaded. Guarantee you can't find one like mine in the country. Showroom condition inside and out. $8,200.00. I'm in north jersey.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back