The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Evo VIII Brakes on my 2g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C6J9R

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 18, 2003
Long Island, New_York
Everything went pretty straight forward, except for the 90+ degree heat. The brakes feel good, no mushy pedal.
Now on to the pics.

The Evo VIII front rotor compared to GSX rotor
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Rears Compared

The new rotor, caliper, brake lines and knuckle all installed.

Heres how they look on the car

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask away.

Chris

Looks great. Tell me about the caliper color change please.

Looks great. Tell me about the caliper color change please.

Like why did I do that?

Well I bought these calipers off of ebay cheap from a guy that had 10 sets. I think he worked at Mitsu. All the sets were brought in by customers because of the paint peeling. I always liked the way Mercedez AMG brakes looked so I went for that color combo. Silver with black writing. I am thinking of painting my Evo rims black anyways so the brakes should stand out a bit more afterwards.

I sent the brakes out to a guy in upstate NY. He powdercoated them, then rebuilt them with the rebuild kits I sent to him. Turnaround was quick and the brakes feel great.

Shouldn't the slots on the rotors be going in the opposite direction? IE: Left and Right swapped.

Tom

To be honest I am not sure which way they are supposed to go. On the box one was labeled left and one was labeled right. I put them on there respective sides. I hope that is the way they go.

Is this guy still selling on ebay? Those look absolutely sexy.

Sorry, I actually got them powder coated to look like that. The ones he sent me were the original red with the paint badly chipped. I got lucky though, he didn't know how much they go for and I snatched up a set for $330 shipped. All four calipers that is. I think he did some research later and made them more expensive.

Did you do a write up on the swap? What all is needed? Are modifications required such as brackets? Thanks

Did you do a write up on the swap? What all is needed? Are modifications required such as brackets? Thanks

There is a write up on this page Edit* Currently looking for page

In that thread I replied with this info

Re: EVO8 Brakes on 2g GSX!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well lets see so far:

4 Brembo calipers from Ebay - $330 shipped (Guy had ten sets available didn't realize that $300 for all fours was a low price. I got lucky)
4 Slotted Rotors/4 sets of Pads from www.rotorpros.com- $325 shipped (Was sketchy about the cheap price but read MANY posts on evolutionm.net stating these rotors have held up to 30k-40k miles.)
4 corner stainless steel lines/brake fluid from GRUPPE-S - $109 shipped
2 Galant knuckles from mitsumissile on here with abs sensors - $515 shipped
Caliper pins and clips to hold in the brake pads that didn't come with the calipers from www.jnztuning.com - $61

I am figuring another $50 for miscellaneous items to complete the job.

Total- $1390
I hope to sell my stock setup to recoupe. I think after 10 years I needed to replace the rotors, pads, and rebuild the calipers anyway.

Like why did I do that?

Well I bought these calipers off of ebay cheap from a guy that had 10 sets. I think he worked at Mitsu. All the sets were brought in by customers because of the paint peeling. I always liked the way Mercedez AMG brakes looked so I went for that color combo. Silver with black writing. I am thinking of painting my Evo rims black anyways so the brakes should stand out a bit more afterwards.

Nah, the color combo looks great especially on your silver car, but I mean what coating did you get? Will it hold up to track use?

Shouldn't the slots on the rotors be going in the opposite direction? IE: Left and Right swapped.

Tom

Depends. If the rotors have directional vanes then the direction is important. The rotors were labeled L and R per the original poster, so I assume they do.

The slots however are not directional.

Assuming the L and R are on their respective sides, the rotors are mounted correctly.

Thanks for the compliment. The calipers were powder coated, which I believe can handle high heat temperatures.

The stock calipers tend to turn browish when tracked heavily, so the coat matters. Regular street conditions you're probably fine. I would like to think the powdercoating place takes into account they are coating Brembo calipers, and that high heat will be likely.

Do you plan to track the car ever?

Looks good Chris. Just don't have the money to get the knuckles, rims, tires, and suspension (to fight fugly fender/wheel gap). Ah well. Maybe next year. You can obviously see my pix in this thread.

how bad was the finish from when you bought them in the first place? some of them on ebay look really Rusty... i have the knuckles sitting in the garage, next to DBA 2 piece floating rotors and Hawk HPs pads... just need the calipers, i have no problem refinishing them myself, i just want to know what they looked like when you got them... also, if you could pm me the powercoater guy? maybe i can give him some more business! also, how is the pedle travel? i cant wait to rock my brembos! what pads did you go with?

how bad was the finish from when you bought them in the first place? some of them on ebay look really Rusty... i have the knuckles sitting in the garage, next to DBA 2 piece floating rotors and Hawk HPs pads... just need the calipers, i have no problem refinishing them myself, i just want to know what they looked like when you got them... also, if you could pm me the powercoater guy? maybe i can give him some more business! also, how is the pedle travel? i cant wait to rock my brembos! what pads did you go with?

Nice I was looking at the DBA's but they were a bit too expensive especially for 2 piece rotors. All 4 brembos needed to be refinished or re painted. I will look around for pictures of them. The powder coater is Maximal Performance. Tell him Chris with the silver brembos sent you. Great turnaround. I sent him the rebuild kits too and he rebuilt them for me. The pads I got came with the rotors. Got them from ROTORPROS - Home Page. Lots of good feedback from the Evo guys on this company.

The part numbers for the Galant knuckles are MR369425 & MR369426. I read somewhere else that they are only available overseas. With that said I decided to play with it on JNZTuning and see if I could come up with anything. Lo' and behold, apparently they have them in stock.
Now to clarify, are these the right parts?

:thumb: Nice, our cars look like twins :D except my calipers are red. Great job!

Hey thanks for the props Hideki....yours look great too. Wasn't sure if I was going to keep them red or go a different color. I might paint my evo rims black so the silver should stand out alot more.

i have just the 2 piece fronts, the rears are DBA's, but just the 4000's... (solid) i didnt think the rear where worth it (my buddy only had the front ones, so i would have to pay MSRP for the rears)

i'm excited for this! what did you do about the rear dust shields? did you trim them? or remove entirely?

EDIT: also, how did you get the "BREMBO" logo back on the calipers? are they the vinyls? or is this something the powder coat guy did?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back