The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Evo Manifold on 1g Head

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zsn0w

Proven Member
Feb 14, 2017
Cincinnati, Ohio
I’m doing a swap into a 1974 dodge colt, so it’s a rwd swap. I’m not sure if the stock 1G manifold will fit because I haven’t tried it and the only examples of someone trying this in a similar car reference it contacting the brake booster and my car doesn’t have a brake booster anywhere in it (unless brake boosters looked different back then). So, I’m the very likely case that it doesn’t fit, would an evo manifold work? I’m torn between an evo iii, where I’d have to have the flange swapped to the other side and the old opening welded shut, and an evo 8, where I’d have to tap my head to plug the egr, which is questionable imo. My biggest qualm with both of these is the size of the ports going into the head. I believe they’re both sized for a 2g Head. Will this “step” cause problems with airflow? I know putting a 1g intake on a 2g is discouraged because of this, but the “step” is in the opposite direction in this case. Additionally, are evo 1-2 manifolds any different from 3s? If they have ports the size of a 1g Head, that could make it worthwhile. Thanks!

I don’t have a lot of money to throw at this build rn, so preferably if like to use the head I have. If it comes down to it and I must, then I will, though. I’d really prefer not to have to drill out the headstuds and all that. The cost of a new manifold + a new head + the machine work for the head would be a lot for me to take right now.

The Evo III manifold is similar to the 2G ports and flange, right? If so, you may want to rethink more than just the step, but whether or not the flange will seal against the head. For reference: intake manifold difference

Darn, I didn’t realize that. Just read a three page thread on projectzerog about adapting an evo manifold for dsm engines and didn’t notice that problem mentioned at all. Guess those options are off the table then. Thanks for the info!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back