The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Evo engine in Eclipse GSX

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eclipse_Racer17

Probationary Member
Mar 3, 2009
St Jaques des leeds, Quebec_Canada
I want to get 300hp in my eclipse, and i know that the evo has about that stock. So i want to know if i can put an evo's engine in a 97 eclipse GSX?

You cant just bolt it in. 300 hp costs about $1500 if you have already done all your maintenance. Turbo, fuel pump, injectors, AFPR, and an AFC. That is alot less than doing an engine swap.

EDIT...You can swap an older EVO engine but your not going to get 300 hp by just swapping the engine.

For the money you spend on the evo engine you could make more than 300hp with bolt ons, and the motor faces the wrong way so you would have to fab up some mounts and etc..(i assuming evo 4-9)

#1 use the search. No, it doesn't fit, the engine sits 180* from an Eclipse. If you do have an Evo VIII at your disposal, you could swap in the ECU, injectors, fuel pump, MAS and then buy an exhaust and FMIC for your GSX. The main reason that an Evo makes a stock 300HP and a GSX makes a stock 200HP is in the electronics and fuel systems.

it will not be cheaper. trust me I have an evo engine I picked up for free sitting in my garage and I've done an engine swap on an evo 8. Your first problem is that the engines mount opposite of each other. One the Eclipse the engine is on the drivers side and trans on the passengers side. On the evo it is swapped with the engine on the passengers side and trans on the drivers side.

If you were to try this, you would have other factors that would increase your cost significantly. Lets start with where the intake and exhaust are located. Your intake would move to the front of the car and the exhaust would move to the firewall side. this would mean custom fabrication of the subframe for the exhaust to be routed easily. You would also need a custom one off fabricated intercooler piping setup as well as one off exhaust since nobody mkes a kit for this. Then after you did all that you would have to figure out all the wiring necessary or buy a matching harness to splice into the car to even get the 300hp. there are a few more sensors and controls that help make that 300hp.

So long story short you would be looking at probably $2-3K just in custom fab piping and wiring. then add on the cost of the engine and misc hardware and bolts, etc. that you will find you need along the way and an ECU. For the $2-3K you could easily do quite a bit to what you already have and maybe even get the 300hp you want.

This is just my .02 take it for what you want. I'm not here to stop someone from their dreams. Just putting things into perspetive.

If your referring to an older evo engine then it is the same damn thing that we have in our cars with a different intake turbo and injectors. You will still have to tune and do the maintenance to the swapped engine and it will end up being more than just modding the stock engine.

Just do a few bolt-ons, fuel upgrades, tune, and you should be well in the 300's for way less the cost you would pay for an evo swap.

#1 use the search. No, it doesn't fit, the engine sits 180* from an Eclipse. If you do have an Evo VIII at your disposal, you could swap in the ECU, injectors, fuel pump, MAS and then buy an exhaust and FMIC for your GSX. The main reason that an Evo makes a stock 300HP and a GSX makes a stock 200HP is in the electronics and fuel systems.

:nono: The real reason the evo makes 280ishp is that the turbo it has is bigger, and runs a lot more boost. It is a 16g and flows just as much as the evo3 16g. Lets just say that if you did swap it and kept the t25(stock 2g turbo) then you would make absolutely no more power than before. So with common sense just throw a 16g on it, and supporting mods, and get it tuned, and have a car that is FASTER than the evo.:thumb:

I think you just want the oooh and aaahhhh factor that people would do when they see an evo motor in a 2g. I have to ask, Why? :confused:

With what I am doing with my build, I'll give any Evo a run for their money. :D

Lol. Yes maintainence, bigger turbo, supporting mods, good tune and you will get to 300hp. Just do it wisely and the right way. Going with an evo engine is not the easy way out. Unless you got money, and want a interesting, time consuming project just for the hell of it i say go for an evo engine. This assuming your talking about the 4g63 in the Evo 8-9. Shoot if you got moneys go for the 4B11(evo x motor) swap.

Like said before, swapping an evo engine into a DSM will not be cheaper than just bolt-on upgrades.

You can make your engine almost identical to the EVO engines by just swapping on/in similar parts. Higher compression pistons, bigger injectors, larger turbo, larger fuel pump, FMIC.

If you want, you can even run the Evo ECU in your GSX.

There's no reason to swap a 4g63 into a car that already has a 4g63. You really aren't gaining anything.

hey, like most people said, dont waste your $$ on the evo swap, my goals are similar, 350hp, or so, except im getting a T28, you can easily do it for 2k or less, do all the maintenance first, timing belt, pump, plugs etc,

check this out,

Tech Guide - DSMtuners :thumb:

im on my second DSM a 1G this time, and id like to say that eating evo's is the way i like to see things roll, smug bas**ds:applause::talon:

whatever you do do not put an evo motor into your car unless your soul purpose is to beable to walk up to people and tell them you have a evo motor in your car. and any real dsm'er would not be impressed by this because we all know what is already stated above.

i'm sure atleast 75% or more people on this website have more then 300hp. go to the tech link on the top of this screen and look at the upgrade paths.

With a 16g turbo front mount intercooler, fuel injectors and 190plh fuel pump and an SAFC you will be over 300hp or really close to it.

please listen to everyone in this thread I would hate to see you waste your money for the same motor you already have.

to be fair, yes, you COULD. but i'm going to put it this way, if you had the money to do the swap, whether you did all the work, or a shop did all the work, you wouldn't be asking.

"evo swap dsm" on google yielded this EVO 7/8 Motor into 97 Eclipse GS - High Altitude Imports

this is possible because he has a 420a car which has the engine on the appropriate side.

this subject has been beaten to death.

it will not be cheaper. trust me I have an evo engine I picked up for free sitting in my garage and I've done an engine swap on an evo 8. Your first problem is that the engines mount opposite of each other. One the Eclipse the engine is on the drivers side and trans on the passengers side. On the evo it is swapped with the engine on the passengers side and trans on the drivers side.

If you were to try this, you would have other factors that would increase your cost significantly. Lets start with where the intake and exhaust are located. Your intake would move to the front of the car and the exhaust would move to the firewall side. this would mean custom fabrication of the subframe for the exhaust to be routed easily. You would also need a custom one off fabricated intercooler piping setup as well as one off exhaust since nobody mkes a kit for this. Then after you did all that you would have to figure out all the wiring necessary or buy a matching harness to splice into the car to even get the 300hp. there are a few more sensors and controls that help make that 300hp.

So long story short you would be looking at probably $2-3K just in custom fab piping and wiring. then add on the cost of the engine and misc hardware and bolts, etc. that you will find you need along the way and an ECU. For the $2-3K you could easily do quite a bit to what you already have and maybe even get the 300hp you want.

This is just my .02 take it for what you want. I'm not here to stop someone from their dreams. Just putting things into perspetive.

Just said it all here.^^^ Doesn't the evo in reality only makes 250 hp to the wheels. Thats what my evo friends have been saying. Just like GT-R R35 said its 480 but Import Tuner had it at 460'ish.

You also have to remeber if he does have the 420a he has to also do a transfer case and add in the extra drive shaft if he wants to go awd but he does say gsx which makes me think he has a 4g63 awd just wanted to point that out.......anyways.....dont waste your time and money with an engine swap you can easily get 300hp out from this motor just get a 16g with the right supporting mods and turn up the boost but remeber to break it in before to go turning up your boost and doing pulls all day trying to tune it everytime you turn up your boost

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back