The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

EVO 8 recaro seats in a 2g: the question/soon to be tech article

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Not to bump an old thread, but I contacted wedge and they said i can use the brackets that I have for my megan seats, however i need the height adjustment bracket for them to work.
I know the side to side from each center hole are 15 7/8" on the evo recaro's does anyone know what the measurement is from front to back holes?

I know this may not be your thing but my "ebay" Bride's and legit Bride rails bolted right into my 2G with no problems. People can give me as much shit as they want for buying them but they are rock solid in there and I feel plenty safe in them. They fit great and look awesome. I got the seats for $400 shipped and the legit Bride rails for $250 shipped.

HAH, I guess you havn't seen my posts the past few years contributing to the ebay parts revolution :hellyeah:

Gamble, I wish I could help you, but don't have seats on hand to check.

I have heard that Wedge is backed up right now and turn around is longer than usual, unless maybe paying extra.

Also something no one has brought up.. is there room after the brackets/seats installed to fit a car amp under the seat?

That was one of my quirks with the GSX power driver seat, that meant no type of amp can fit under the seat which is the most stealth and space saving location.

I guess this is a question ILLiCliPSE can answer. if 12x12x2" is good then it can fit many amps under the seat.

I think you can fit an amp. I have room with my megan seats I think.
I called wedge today and said I have their brackets for my megan seats and they said all I need is the height adjustment brackets to make the evo seats fit. I don't get how though, he said all I need is height brackets. The spacing on the megan seats is like 12.5" width and the spacing on the recaro is 15 7/8" width.
This is why I would like to see pics of how they exactly fit. I'm wondering if I should just have someone weld tabs onto my brackets to make it fit easier. I don't know.

I called and talked to Wendell today. I gave him my measurments for the recaro seats. 13 3/8" front to back and 15 7/8" side to side.
He said I need a wedge kit to install it into my existing rails, however he was talking and said there should be something on my rail like a m8 nut or something to adapt the wedge kit to. I don't recall seeing these at all, and he said he hopes they are on there or I will need new brackets.
They should be shipping in about 2 weeks so I will have pictures up as they all the parts come in and how they all go together.
He said he didn't have any pics of the wedge brackets to show me as their website was hacked and they don't have any pictures. He said they look like the sparco 500 adapter, and after googleing that it looks like the seat will sit higher than my megans.
Wendell said the seats will sit lower, but I don't get how adding hardware will make it sit lower.
I guess I will just have to wait and find out.

Recently I decided to complete an evo seat swap on the my car. I had started this project a while ago with a set of WEAPON-R seat brackets, but the fitment was poor with only 3 out of 4 base mounts fitting properly. I scrubbed the project temporarily favoring a set of limited edition RECARO ASM TS-G and a set of Wedge Engineering brackets.

The Wedge brackets fit very well (though seat you slightly higher then the Weapon Rs so I continued to use these when I finished my evo conversion. I had to customize the brackets slightly, adding another plate on the top of the bracket where the sliders from the OEM evo seats bolted on. I partially drilled two extra holes on the top of the bracket where the sliders have a rivet so that they fit snugly (sorry no pix of that, but it's fairly obvious where you need it when you're mounting the seats).

Initially, I was going to use a set of evo 9 seats I had laying around, but I finally opted for the use of an old evo 8 seat from my 05 and a thrashed seat out of an 03. I took them to a local upholstery shop who re-skinned them in matching leather. For anyone with an older gray car, you'll find there are several different colors of gray in the car including the dash, 2 grays/textures on the seats, the doors and plastic on the doors. I finally settled on something that was pretty close.

The car was on display in Cypress CA at MOD. Mitsubishi North America currently shows the car in their Design Center and presently in the main lobby of the corporate office next to some other sexy DSMs.

Pix are off my cell phone. Sorry for the low quality. :ohdamn:

Inside the Design Center
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I had the choice of keeping the back black, or paint/staining it gray. I opted to leave it black to accent other parts of the dash.

Side View: They sit a little lower then OEM. But the nice thing is that the base of the seat doesn't gouge your back when you recline it.

I need to replace my steering wheel with either an evo9 or perhaps the TME OMP wheel I found. I'll probably do the evo wheel since it fits better with the interior and I don't lose the airbag.

MMNA was nice enough to rope it off at MOD. In the window is the original dealership sticker, registration card from GReddy USA and insurance card (again for GReddy)

w/o ropes

^ NICE! Is it teh fast? LOL

The re-upholstery looks great. Im not sure if I would have went with one solid color personally, but it does look good with the interior. Great job!

^ NICE! Is it teh fast? LOL

The re-upholstery looks great. Im not sure if I would have went with one solid color personally, but it does look good with the interior. Great job!

Coloring was a big decision for me, as was material. Initially, I had planned on leather outside and gray suede on the inside with a similar pattern to the original seat as it sat in the evo.

I opted to follow the original eclipse design pattern though. Since the 2G uses a single color, I thought it would be most fitting to follow suit. This way it looks more like a customized 2G theme (seamless) and less like a customized 2G with an evo theme.

It's a subtle difference, but "seamlessness" is very important to me with this car.

I did this too, but have evo8 seats. A few notes:
The wedge seat bracket from my megan seats works fine, however you need a wedge kit. I got sick of waiting 4 weeks for my kit, they were on the welders list for sometime. I got them and what a joke. Nothing was even welded. All they did was take a piece of flat stock, bend each end and drill holes.
Of course they showed up after the fact I had them in.
I got some stock from home depot and used my dads stick welder and welded on a new bracket to the wedge kit. Drilled some holes and put the seat on. It was too far over to the left because I measured wrong and I did it again. A quick spray paint job and it was done.
The second seat was a joke I got it from some kid that said it was out of an evo. They welded some stupid rail to it so I had to cut through that, then the bottom seat bracket that is part of the seat was bent. I said F it and just welded the same seat to my wedge kit. It doesn't slide but nobody sits there anyway.

I want to get my hand on those seats, The evo 9 ones look the best. Thing is i never seen a pair of those seats for under 1200. Gotta start saving up for those and a evo9 steering wheel.

then i must have been lucky finding my set of evo9 recaros for $400!!! OMG
just searching craigslist and they popped up, didnt let them get pass me! :rocks:

Have a set of VIII recaros bout to go it. I'm thinking i will just buy the Wedge setup and be done with it. Complete Wedge kit said and done is under $300 shipped correct?

Been starting to think based on speaking with another member to just buy the tenzo-r (or whatever brand) generic 2g seat rails off ebay and re-drill new holes to install my recaros.
Anybody else want to chime in on this? Will definitely be cheaper then wedge, can't be to difficult, and if it really came to it i could have the welds reinforced or looked over at a local shop.

I got Evo 8 seats in my beast and went with the brackets from wedge engineering (they are literally down the street from my pad)..Had the brackets modified from my height 5'7" to about 6'2". Great f'in job if I may say so myself. The seats are clean and look absolutely amazing in my 2g

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is it so hard to find some evo 9 recaro MR seats...the ones with the red recaro stitching...been looking for a pair for over 3 months now.

Why is it so hard to find some evo 9 recaro MR seats...the ones with the red recaro stitching...been looking for a pair for over 3 months now.

The only recaro seat that had red stitching was the "SE"

I thought these were the MR seats?

These are the ones i want.

I thought these were the MR seats?

These are the ones i want.

those are the seats that came in every Evo 9. The "SE" trim of the Evo 9 had the same seats but with red stitching.

All Evo 8's came with the blue and black seats.

Arent evo 9 SSL seats all black leather though? Evo 8 seats with the blue wont look good in my Red gsx.

Arent evo 9 SSL seats all black leather though? Evo 8 seats with the blue wont look good in my Red gsx.

Yes, both Evo 8 and 9 also had another option available "SSL", which did have leather interior.

Just to clarify everything ViciousLord just said:

Evo 8 (RS/GSR/MR): Blue and Black cloth

Evo 8 (SSL package only): All Black leather

Evo 9 (RS/GSR/MR): Leather and Suade

Evo 9 (SE package only): Leather and Suage WITH red stitching

Thanks ILLiCliPSE!

Well ive been scouring ebay/craigslist/evolutionm for a pair of evo 9 seats but cant really find anything, anyone have any other suggestions on places to look?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back