Evo 8 Ecu In 2g Works!!

Posted by GSXDNA, Oct 31, 2008
Tuning & Engine Management - 4G63 EPROMS, ECU, MAF, knock, EGT, wideband, datalogging, fuel trims, etc.

Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. GSXDNA

GSXDNA Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Los Angeles, California

This is helpful...thanks. It looks like the reason there are four wires is because two of them are the Hi and Low relays. That actually makes a ton of sense, because i think the fan may actually be working when the car is on initially, but then when the car gets hotter, it goes off. I bet the RRE guys hooked up just the Low relay to the fan. I'll have to check and see if the fan goes on when the car is started and the motor is cold...I think it does.

Still not quite sure how to wire it, if i can't use the PWM cooling fan output from the Evo 8 ecu....

2. johnnyboy55

johnnyboy55 Proven Member

Miami / Broward, Florida
    i would say try what is says on the bottom of the first post which is

Connect 31 from the ECU to 34 on the vehicle harness
    Connect 31 from the ECU to 20 on the vehicle harness
    Connect 32 from the ECU to 21 on the vehicle harness

for u mostly 20 and 21 i think is urs

3. GSXDNA

GSXDNA Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Los Angeles, California

Exactly. Tonight, I'm going to see if the fan turns on when the car is started and the motor is cold. If that happens, I think that means that RRE may have connected the wire from pin 21, but not from pin 20.

4. johnnyboy55

Miami / Broward, Florida
    o by the way are u getting the same three o2 readings or three different voltages and what voltages are they -- i have a feeling that o2 wire is wrong if its the same voltages each time then its definitely a wrong wire..

5. GSXDNA

GSXDNA Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Los Angeles, California

Same three voltages. A wire must be wrong. I have to try to figure out what pins are wrong.

6. johnnyboy55

Miami / Broward, Florida
    yup sounds like a crossed wire.... if u want send me a log and ill see if ne thing looks wrong... one of the sensors or valves should show something wrong other than the o2.. Also a list of your error codes as should have a few codes still.

7. johnnyboy55

Miami / Broward, Florida
    hey did u ever try my rom? I think u should try my rom and relog and let me see that... Do u know what part number the ecu is also it should be mnxxxxxx ## rom seems to be a ralliart evo 8 but i dunno.. keep ## rom but i am curious if both logs will be the same issue..

8. GSXDNA

GSXDNA Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Los Angeles, California
    No, i haven't tried your rom yet. i just picked my car up a few hrs ago.

I'd be extremely surprised though if the ROM made any difference in the front 02 values. I have tried numerous fuel/timing maps, maf scalings, etc., and none of those made any difference.

9. johnnyboy55

Miami / Broward, Florida
    it made a difference in my case when the stock rom kept me in open loop all the time i switched to a different rom and fixed my problem instantly... never hurts to try -- the ralliart evo 8 might have a pin difference never know..

10. GSXDNA

GSXDNA Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Los Angeles, California

Well, that's what I tried to do initially. I dropped the car off for a whole week. Gave them the car on a monday morning at 10am, and they didn't start working on the Ecu wiring until friday. Granted, they had to install a bolt on T28 and a fuel pump also, but a week is a long time to have a rental car. I'm better off trying to figure it out myself before I go through the whole rental car fiasco if i can avoid it.

I put my stock ecu back in last night, and I'm going to take a look at every pin to see what the heck is going on. I have a feeling a few pins may accidentally be swapped for the front 02.

11. GSXDNA

GSXDNA Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Los Angeles, California

Interesting. I will definitely give it a try if the re-wire doesn't make a difference.

12. GSXDNA

GSXDNA Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Los Angeles, California
    Check engine light is gone (the front 02 wire was connected incorrectly), and the cooling fans are now working properly (thanks to Johnnyboy55). A/C doesn't seem to be working, but the car is running so good right now that I really don't care.

Thanks to everyone who helped with this.
    :dsm:

13. the_mork

the_mork Moderator

DSM Profiles:
    Eau Claire, Wisconsin
    Did you switch back or is this running right with the evo ecu?

14. GSXDNA

GSXDNA Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Los Angeles, California

No, i switched back to my stock ecu just for one day so I could take my time rewiring the harness. The car now appears to be running perfect with the EVO 8 ECU (with the exception of the A/C issue).

It's actually really interesting how different the car feels. While doing the re-wiring, i switched back and forth between the stock 2G ECU an the EVO ECU a few times because i needed to drive down the street to run a few errands. With the 2G ECU the car just feels so docile, calm and lifeless. Then when i pop the EVO ECU in it just feels and sounds like a totally different car.

As a side note, I was driving around late last night doing a few pulls with my laptop logging some data and tuning, when in the midst of my pulls a BWM Z4 rushed to get beside me and then slowed down and began taunting me. I do not condone street racing, but i was already doing pulls....so i simply began another pull at that point.

I know those things only have around 255hp or so, but it was rather satisfying to see all the re-wiring frustrations and all the work I did resulting in a disgruntled/embarrassed look on the face of the Z4 driver. Plus, I still have my stock injectors in, with the stock clutch, and am still running stock boost. ;)

15. GSXDNA

GSXDNA Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Los Angeles, California

evolutionm.net

Join the forums so you can search the classifieds. Those guys are always ditching their stock ECUs for the AEM EMS.

Also check on ebay. Picked up mine on ebay for $150 shipped.

16. ewoevo

ewoevo Proven Member

San Antonio, Texas
    You can get the ECU harness extension from Mach V and just change the few wires necessary.

17. All_Boost16G

All_Boost16G Proven Member

Sheldahl, Iowa
    My questions is about tuning the EVO 8 ecu. What will need to be changed to make this run other than the wiring. Will I beable to send this to RRE, and they could send it back ready to run, or could any EVO tuning people beable to flash the EVO ecu.

18. jjgrizz73

jjgrizz73 Proven Member

Carbondale, Pennsylvania
    The wiring is pretty much it, besides purchasing the ECU. Once in you can run EcuFlash and other evo tools to flash your ecu. EcuFlash is a great tuning program , I am in the process of putting in an Evo 8 ecu right now. Thank you very much to the OP and RRE :thumb:

19. 4nturbo

4nturbo Proven Member

York, Pennsylvania
    I have been following this thread and Im very interested in doing this ecu swap my only concern is my car is a 2g automatic how would this swap effect the TCU or would I have to use an aftermarket trans controler from someone like IPT

20. jrohner

jrohner Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Willmar, Minnesota
    The transmission is controlled by the tcu, not the ecu.

The 5spd & auto ECU's are the same in DSMs, except for the 1g's slight tuning difference such as for the different injectors and fuel pressure.

21. 4nturbo

4nturbo Proven Member

York, Pennsylvania
    I understand the tcu controls the trans but the tcu gets info from the ecu to control the trans and because the Evo8 ecu is a manual trans ecu how will that effect the operation of the tcu
    This is my first Automatic DSM so Im just trying to figure out what will and won't work as far as ECU swaping in reguards to the tcu

22. jrohner

jrohner Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Willmar, Minnesota
    They share some information but the data doesn't go through the ecu and then out from the ecu to the tcu. They are independent.

23. GSXDNA

GSXDNA Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Los Angeles, California
    Ok guys, quick update.

I finally fixed my a/c temp control problems. The temperature control cable that connects to the temperature switch on the dash is about 1-2 inches away from where the ECU sits. Since it's so tight in there, I must have knocked the cable loose when I was swapping ECUs. So, be careful of that if you're attempting this.

I am now considering this project complete, as everything is working perfectly. I updated the initial post on the first page with some graphs and screenshots of the EcuFlash program.

Just got my new clutch a few days ago, and I'm going to order some larger injectors soon. Then I can crank the boost up :thumb:

24. delta448

delta448 DSM Wiseman

DSM Profiles:
    Waynesburg, Pennsylvania
    Thank you for the very detailed info you edited back into your first post.
    You should definitely make that post into a new tech article. Awesome job, thanks for being the guinea pig for us!

25. 97GSTAUTO

97GSTAUTO Proven Member

Douglasville, Georgia

Yes, Thanks for all of the hard work and your willingness to share the info (Unlike some people). I guess I will have to put away my bat and pull out the wallet! : )