The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Evo 8 ECU In 2g Works!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theres a lot around plus they get rid of them for aem gear and such.. ITs a good ecu and i think you can run upwards of 500 hp on it without a problem.. ITs essentially a standalone and if you compare your costs maybe 200 for ecu, 100 for tactrix cable, free ecuflash, 30 for evoscan, wire yourself or pay for harness a few hundreded (say 300) then you have a standalone for around 630 -- i wired mine myself about 90 or so wires but its well worth it.. although my car is not turbo stock so..

I'm pretty sure that there were only about 13,000 evo8s produced in the US, I have no idea how many worldwide but its a bit harder to get parts from overseas, beyond that we need to exclude the number that still have their ecus in them. For $630 total I will just get dsmlink thank you very much. I think your numbers are a bit inflated though. Also it is not essentially a standalone.

Well I spent $110 for an EVO ECU, $100 for a harness extension (Mach V), and $90 for a tactrix cable, for a grand total of $300. I'd say that's a pretty good deal for a standalone tuning option.

Well I spent $110 for an EVO ECU, $100 for a harness extension (Mach V), and $90 for a tactrix cable, for a grand total of $300. I'd say that's a pretty good deal for a standalone tuning option.

Its not a standalone. You still are using a factory ecu with load limitations.

i dont understand that??? why is it not a standalone -- i believe it has nothing to do with limitations to determine if it is a standalone.. The stock ecu in itself is a standalone just not a good one.. the evo 8 ecu is much better and programmable.. still not the best but none the less a standalone as it does not require anything but its sensors to run.. is that wrong? sorry but i am curious why the stock ecus are not standalones

how is the ecu gsx dna is it getting better

Like an evo8 ecu swap? less talk about the definition of a standalone and more talk about results!!! :p

Thanks to everyone in RRE who did their part in getting this thing running! Has it been long enough for the ecu to finish updating? How's the fuel trims now that you've changed the maf compensation?

Spoke with Mike a few days ago, He liked the idea, just got swamped with a few things and a couple toons to do so haven't able to throw in an update. Mike is at Sema right now also. But I was thinking of making a hacker tweaker swap harness that only replaces jumps the part of the harness that needs to get modified and everything else stays, which will cost us less and in turn cost you guys less. Or just sell the full jumper harness with modification done to it already, and you guys can still use it to install other things into your harness without raping the car harness because we all know how well our 10-15yr old harnesses are doing and they just love getting yanked on, pulled on, cut, soldered, twisted, covered in taped, crimped, and whatever other molestation we do to em. :D But I will be trying in on another BONE STOCK CAR just to check out a few things. The Evo8 ecu also has an output to trigger a secondary fuel pump relay for high loads that we don't use and can use for our advantage like boost control for fwd guys to go from low boost to high, or IC sprayers, or ice cream truck songs to come on under full load. :thumb: Still some digging I can do into this and see what other potential we have for this.

Whilist my motor is comming back together, the 420A DD sucks donkey but loving the 10miles per dollar of gas.

Like an evo8 ecu swap? less talk about the definition of a standalone and more talk about results!!! :p

Thanks to everyone in RRE who did their part in getting this thing running! Has it been long enough for the ecu to finish updating? How's the fuel trims now that you've changed the maf compensation?

I am still seeing one issue, which is throwing off the check engine light. I attribute this issue to a bad 02 sensor up front. I have messed around with the MAF scallings and the fuel/timing maps substaintially, and the car is running well. I've only tuned up to 15psi, as I am at 89% IDC with my stock injectors. Larger injectors and a stronger clutch are on their way.

As soon as i get some free time, I'll swap out the front 02 and see if that fixes things.

Spoke with Mike a few days ago, He liked the idea, just got swamped with a few things and a couple toons to do so haven't able to throw in an update. Mike is at Sema right now also. But I was thinking of making a hacker tweaker swap harness that only replaces jumps the part of the harness that needs to get modified and everything else stays, which will cost us less and in turn cost you guys less. Or just sell the full jumper harness with modification done to it already, and you guys can still use it to install other things into your harness without raping the car harness because we all know how well our 10-15yr old harnesses are doing and they just love getting yanked on, pulled on, cut, soldered, twisted, covered in taped, crimped, and whatever other molestation we do to em. :D But I will be trying in on another BONE STOCK CAR just to check out a few things. The Evo8 ecu also has an output to trigger a secondary fuel pump relay for high loads that we don't use and can use for our advantage like boost control for fwd guys to go from low boost to high, or IC sprayers, or ice cream truck songs to come on under full load. :thumb: Still some digging I can do into this and see what other potential we have for this.

Whilist my motor is comming back together, the 420A DD sucks donkey but loving the 10miles per dollar of gas.

Nice...I'd love to hook the 2nd fuel pump relay to an IC sprayer. Although, i must admit, having an ice cream truck song come on when the car hits 20psi would be pretty baller.

The other option would be to look into actually using this switch to control the fuel pump so that people who switch to an evo 8/9 pump don't have to get an afpr. Then again I have no idea how much extra wiring is involved in that setup but I doubt it would be much more than for an ice cream truck music player.

The other option would be to look into actually using this switch to control the fuel pump so that people who switch to an evo 8/9 pump don't have to get an afpr. Then again I have no idea how much extra wiring is involved in that setup but I doubt it would be much more than for an ice cream truck music player.

We've got a 2g that does ice cream truck songs. :thumb:

Maybe this 2nd power could also be used to turn on a meth injection pump or nitrous controller? By all means correct me if I am wrong about it but it could be a possiblity.

A few posts back I saw a comment about dsmlink being used in 240sx's? VERY interesting info, where can I get more info on that? Assuming that since dsmlink is a java based program its really just a matter of making an eprom work with it. Such as an safc being universal for many vehicles?

I wondered about the evo ecu in a 2g but never truly thought about it working till reading this. AWESOME INFORMATION!!!! keep it coming in. Definatley try a new 02 sensor. to rich, to lean, leaded fuel, age, antifreeze, oil, can all contaminate o2 sensors and make them do very interesting things.

ECUflash can control a meth injection setup,as EVO guys have already been doing this. One additional thing it does, which I really like, is valet mode. You can set it to only go up to a preset rpm, so valet guys can't bang on the car when you have it parked.

GSXDNA,

If you're still having troubles with your O2 sensor, you could try turning it off by using one of the following codes:

56D0 -No rear O2 no Immobilizer
5650-no rear O2, No immobilizer, No knock
5658-no rear O2, No knock sensor
56D8-no rear O2
5698, no front or rear 02
5690, no front 02, rear 02, or immobilizer
56D2, No immobilizer

You can find more specifics on where here:
How to disable immobilizer on EDM Evo9? - evolutionm.net

Maybe this 2nd power could also be used to turn on a meth injection pump or nitrous controller? By all means correct me if I am wrong about it but it could be a possiblity.

A few posts back I saw a comment about dsmlink being used in 240sx's? VERY interesting info, where can I get more info on that? Assuming that since dsmlink is a java based program its really just a matter of making an eprom work with it. Such as an safc being universal for many vehicles?

I wondered about the evo ecu in a 2g but never truly thought about it working till reading this. AWESOME INFORMATION!!!! keep it coming in. Definatley try a new 02 sensor. to rich, to lean, leaded fuel, age, antifreeze, oil, can all contaminate o2 sensors and make them do very interesting things.

Yeah it should be able to control a meth or nitrous controller though most meth kits already have a provision for this and I would assume nitrous kits would too.

Is dsmlink java based? I kind of think that would be silly since Java is such a terrible language.

Getting the code that goes onto the eprom to work in another ecu would be difficult at best I think since it is almost certainly written in some sort of assembly and most of the provisions are dsm specific. I think it would be much easier to adapt the car to accept a dsm ecu.

GSXDNA,

If you're still having troubles with your O2 sensor, you could try turning it off by using one of the following codes:

56D0 -No rear O2 no Immobilizer
5650-no rear O2, No immobilizer, No knock
5658-no rear O2, No knock sensor
56D8-no rear O2
5698, no front or rear 02
5690, no front 02, rear 02, or immobilizer
56D2, No immobilizer

You can find more specifics on where here:
How to disable immobilizer on EDM Evo9? - evolutionm.net

Thanks for the info. The car actually broke down on me yesterday. Something is up with the cooling system (even before the evo ecu install). Every once in a while, it just randomly overheats, and it's not the thermostat. So i finally took it to a mitsu dealership, and while it's there, im having them swap out the front 02.

Ok guys, quick update:

Got some work done on the car (mainly maitentance stuff), and while the car was at the dealer, i had them put in a new 02 sensor. Same problem. Still only ready 3 different voltages. Starting to get pretty frustrated with that.

However, a much bigger problem, it looks like RRE may have accidentally hooked my fan up wrong. They told me that since the evo has a separate control module for the cooling fans, they had to wire the fan so it stays on whenever car is on...which is fine. But, it appears that the fan only comes on when the ignition is set to the "on" position, but goes off after the car car is started, which is causing my car to overheat when not moving. Does anyone have any wiring diagram for the fan layout? I was thinking i would actually hook it up to the thermostat, instead of whenever the car is on. Anyone know any reason why using the thermostat would/wouldn't work? If it would work, where is the easiest place to tap into that wire?

I would love to have RRE fix this for me (and Sam has offered to help), but i just cant take off any more days from work any time soon, which is what I'd have to do since RRE is like 90 min away from me and are only open 10-6 on the weekdays. So, I need your guys' input.

Thanks.

hey man --

the fan for the evo is pwm so i dunno == but i do know in my case if i disconnected the fan wire from the ecu the fan would stay on all the time when the car is running so u may want to try that out for now.. U could also buy those fan controllers off ebay to run the fan off an electronic switch as a backup... just a suggestion

hey man --

the fan for the evo is pwm so i dunno == but i do know in my case if i disconnected the fan wire from the ecu the fan would stay on all the time when the car is running so u may want to try that out for now.. U could also buy those fan controllers off ebay to run the fan off an electronic switch as a backup... just a suggestion

Interesting. Do you have any ideas what the four wires are for? I think the colors are blue, yellow, green, and black.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back