The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Evo 3

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b69a3116.jpg

Weld up the dump tube turn down tonight maybe

48a9a5b0.jpg

Cold side piping mocked up

9cd16b1b.jpg

The draw through suction port for the catch can setup

Some pictures of the O2 housing, i still need to clean up the inside some more (splatter, i really need to get a tub of solar flux)

f2888249.jpg

e79cadcf.jpg

After tomorrow the only mechanical thing i will need to do is fill the transmission and transfer case and connect the downpipe to the exhuast. Its all wiring after that :)

MOAR PIX!

dd11857b.jpg

Radiator and intercooler mounted up solid :D

c341dccd.gif

What a view :)

a583e7e3.jpg

Hotside piping. I ran out of time so i am using one more coupler here than i should. I will get it welded up at a later date.

b2638359.jpg

Cold side and intake (spot the huge eff up)

33bcbc53.jpg

O2 housing completed

96baa462.jpg

Dumps right before the transfer case :)

28852183.jpg

map sensor for the apexi boost gauge and the AEM FPR :)

51df8460.jpg

Artsy shot of the alternator relocation

Sorry for the crappy night time iphone pics

830aac6b.jpg

Oil pressure sensor for my cheaply digital summit gauge

7f2ec8c9.jpg

Circuit breaker mounted

05fe4704.jpg

Angle grinder + wire cup tomorrow and a coat of paint. There was some rust so I'm happy I took it up. The wiring looks like a mess but it just needs loom and tape

0331ba78.jpg

Relocated fuse box. I will be making new fender liners from roof flashing alon with a plywood splitter so it will be protected

5998c4f3.jpg

Down pipe with its new hanger and wide band bung

440c69ed.jpg

Gm 3 port bcs mounting point

109f8689.jpg

One more angle welded and we in business!

2ed71753.jpg

Engine bay shot with the coil on plug setup

f682ecf3.jpg

Outside is almost complete, need to toss on the passenger side skirt and bleed the brakes

6bceed96.jpg

Aerocatch locking hood pins. I only installed one side so far. It's a little bit of a pain in the ass because there are multiple layers of aluminum to cut through but other than that it looks great to me!

434e6d19.jpg

Pin location (had a hole there like it was made for the purpose)

b7eaef03.jpg

My super catch can (filtered and baffled) mocked up.

434b5da6.jpg

AEM goodness

54394f40.jpg

Marine grade 4ga cables, they only had black but that didn't matter as i was covering them with split loom anyway. One goes from the alternator to the fuse box and the other from the starter to the fuse box (connects to either side of the alternator fuse). I have another cable from the previous battery relocation that i will run from the starter to the circuit breaker/battery in the trunk.

I have not figured out where i will mount the jumper posts so i will leave them out for now.

f1263848.jpg

Final angle on the recirculation port on the intake for the BOV

9df7dd4e.jpg

Catch can with the new bracket welded on.

If i didn't have to work tomorrow i would probably work on the car through the night. Alas i must pay for these bits some how

Man your car is coming along very nicely bro. Did you do the welding for the catch can and an fittings on the valve cover?? Do you have more info on the valve itself?? What made you choose that bov over the tial q recirc bov??

The catch can itself is from Calan on here. My uncles own a quarry so they have a welder on staff who does all my aluminum welding (i have my own lincoln mig for the steel stuff).

If i were to do it over i would bite 99gst_racer's whole setup (female bungs welded on the valve cover with low profile 90* male adapters for extra hood clearance

I chose the Synapse from what i found on evolutionm.net. The Tial recirc apparently can have some issues with part throttle surge and seeing as the car will see significant part throttle time during auto x i wasn't willing to take the $200+ chance. The Synapse was only $190 @ verociousmotorsports.com so that was another factor LOL

Another half day at the car :)

Got the front floor wells de-tar-ed, wiped down and painted up. Put the dash back in and routed all the gauge wiring. I swapped out the "stock" spring that comes with the Synapse for a slightly softer one from Mil.Spec which is supposed to help with any part throttle surge

4172a798.jpg

I REALLY want to spray the intercooler and radiator black but for now it stays

ce163dd2.gif

Threw the stock coils on, gapped the plugs to 0.028 and connected everyone up

d6db7808.jpg

My DIY short shifter.

2e3d19a7.jpg

Plexiglass sucks. That's the 3rd try and then when i was bolting it to the dash it cracked. The smaller hole is for the oil pressure gauge. The wide band is in the same spot on the dash near the A pillar.

Next week fo sho!

064ddc3e.gif

Painted the o2 housing with some VHT paint and wrapped the dump tube where it goes near the hot pipe

cc991750.jpg

Installed

7fba844e.gif

The catch can installed. I need to cut out some more from the bonnet where the vent is.

18fa6867.jpg

Fiberglassing the new gauge area. Needs body filler and some holes

My brother helped me out today, got the brakes and clutch bled, filled the transfer with Valvoline synthetic 85w140 and the transmission with 80w90 of the same brand

I got everything buttoned up today! #Took the dash back out so I can reinstall the new to me harness tomorrow.

26aba055.jpg

Modified evo 9 actuator :) thanks AJ

216169f3.jpg

engine bay shot

56d7be99.gif

downpipe and dump tube

1369848b.jpg

the custom turned solid crossmember bushings

00121c08.jpg

no alternator!

43914843.jpg

limegreen!

2d0433bd.jpg

8d434626.jpg

mounted the twin fire up under the dash with some stainless plate

Kinda sucks that i couldn't get it finished during the week so i could re-license and re-insure it. I can't drive it without a steering wheel and open down pipe anyway.

The oil pressure is still kinda high at idle though 65-70psi and that's with the OFH already ported some. After its broken in i will buy some more OFH gaskets and get to dremeling it some more.

The rest of the exhaust is just waiting for some cuts and welding, a 2ft long louvered resonator (i can give up the 5hp for some noise control) and a large Magnaflow rear muffler so it should sound quite deep when its finished.

you have no idea! LOL

It already looks like i have to take out the throttle body and do some more filing on the throttle blade as it isn't closing all the way (lowest tps percentage i can get is 10%).

Blipping the throttle the car comes out of vacuum quick. I don't think lag will be an issue at all :D

Just idling the water temps are pretty solid at 190-195 which i am happy with. We will see what they are at speed etc later.

a98e28a2.jpg

Starting mileage

dec18c99.jpg

My new gauge area

ab03d2d9.jpg

What a difference this resonator made!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sirnixalot/Evo/?action=view¤t=45cc27be.mp4
Link to another idling vid with the resonator on

Hey I wanted to know how that jayracing alternater relocation kit is working out for you.I am thinking of getting it clean up the front engine bay.Your car looks good man, keep it up.:hellyeah:

It's working out great. It took a minute to figure out where everything went but its kinda self explanatory when you get everything out of the box.

The fuel pump failed so i borrowed one of those and the car goes like stink!

I have a small leak on the OFH (one of the oil cooler fittings) and regap the plugs then its ready for some logging.

So for some odd reason my car eats walbro's.

I put back in my stock pump and all is well. 12psi to the world!

Open dump wastegates are so freakin cool. I wasn't sold on the idea before but i sure as **** am now. NO spike, 12psi solid as a rock.

1e99c753.jpg

f3dfb3ff.jpg

Finished the exhaust but i still have a leak up front somewhere that i think may be the V bands. Need to tighten them up and check the O2 to turbo bolts haven't loosened. The car is MUCH quieter now but that is still relative because of the leak. Once i get the car up on a lift i will drop the exhaust and paint the welds with the DEI header paint i have

Tomorrow it gets a wash!

i have a megain recirc O2.....it wont stay at 15 very long on the E316g. I set it for 20 and thought all was well but the cold weather and me continuing to tune it is making it spike to 25 sometimes.

I don't wanna do a dump as it's loud and a LOTTA hot air that can melt/burn things in the engine bay.

How do you like the different sound when WOT and fully spooled? I can swap mine out if this spiking doesnt stop.

build is getting along well man!

When I had the stock turbo on with an eBay recirc it was 25psi, no less LOL.

The noise is....mean. It shouldn't bother you too much on the street if the boost is set at 15psi. I can see it getting old but I can also see its use for scaring tourists jay walking.

I love this combination!

2.3l + short runner exhaust manifold + exo X 20g turbo = instaboost!

I still have a few minor things to sort out and once I do the first oil hange this weekend I will post up some vdr results!

So after chasing a fuel supply issue for a few weeks, which ended up being a blocked solid Summit small fuel filter which i do not recommend at this point.

I have installed 4 new 4ga grounds throughout the car and did new 10ga wires to the fuel pump. I decided to swap out a known working stock Evo 7 pump which didn't change a thing so i knew my brand new Aeromotive was good, yahay!

I pull the element out of the filter and i cannot see light through it, some carb cleaner and compressed air later and everything is good.

I go to start the car on the evo 7 pump and all is well with the fuel pressure, so i rev the car a bit and hear knocking..........f*ck. So i take it out and put back in my Aeromotive, go to start the car and i go to start the car to get it home and out of my friends yard and nope...its locked up tighter than a nuns kitten.

This is what i get for buying a used 2.3L short block with a cut crank and stock rods (which i ended up having to sell the block since it had scores in one cylinder and then get new rings and bearings).

Plan is to take a stock JDM Evo 8 crank (not that it matters JDM or whatever) from another friend of mine and order up Wiseco 10.5:1 HD's , Manley H beams, new bearings and a Fuelab filter (many thanks to my wife for putting up with me and it). I also have an HKS 280 exhaust cam coming.

Tear down starts friday after work and continues all weekend. Monday i get the stuff and should at least have the bottom end assembled and then next weekend back on the road fingers crossed.

The up side is all my fuel system wiring is tip top, all my grounds are excessive, my fuel issue is solved and i will get to compare a 2.3L 8.5:1CR setup to a 2.0L 10.5:1 setup on this Evo X turbo.

Later on i will order some MAP stock Evo 8/9 replacement Beehive springs so i can raise the rev limit to 8250-8500.

Yeah it definitely sucks. I got a new to me JDM Evo 8 crank last night and i got the car towed back to my moms house tonight (where my work area and tools are). Tomorrow evening i am picking up a cherry picker and borrowing an engine stand since a buddy is borrowing mine.

What sucks even worse is that Wiseco's math does not add up as far as the compression ratio on those 10.5:1 HD's....they come in at 9.5:1 by all accounts, especially as the same pistons yields 10:1 in the later Evo's

85.5mm bore
88mm stroke
1.3mm head gasket
-4.5cc dish
47cc combustion chamber
0 deck clearance

comes out to 9.5:1

Anyways, it's probably for the best since i will be tuning on 93oct but they shouldn't advertise them as 10.5:1 as i would have bought JE's 10:1's instead.

I will post up tear down pics etc.

Welp my parts arrived and i got the motor out. I still need to pull the timing pulleys and head studs out. I will do that tomorrow on lunch and deliver the block to the machinist with the pistons and hopefully the clearance will still be in spec after the light hone.

7228bf78.jpg

Evo 8 280* 10.2mm lift exhaust cam installed. I am locating a stock evo 8 cam gear so i can badger one of my stock ones and drill the later evo hole then transfer that hole to my HKS cam gears so that i won't have to physically count the 10 teeth and just time everything up normally. I really need to get a set of MAP Evo 8 replacement valve springs at some point.

4ad3e8ff.jpg

The new push lock oil drain, if only the hose were black sigh

ecc46c5a.gif

Oil cooler thermostats, the shiny one is HKS and the dull one is the Evo 8 OEM one

26d93836.gif

Installed :)

a6199e07.jpg

Wiseco flat tops! I figured out how they get their 10.5:1 advertised CR. When used in the 4g64 block with the dsm 4g63 head they are 10.5:1. As a drop in for the later Evo's they are 10:1 and in the DSM/my application they are 9.5:1.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back