The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Evo 1 change final drive

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasosEclipse

Proven Member
Oct 20, 2016
Thiva, Europe
Hello
I have a evo 1 transmission and transfer but I want to put a 3000gt rear differential how I can change the final drive of the transmission to match the rear differential ?

You would need to use a 5-speed 3000GT/Stealth 1991-1993 rear differential with a 3.545 ratio (39/11 teeth gears), along with swapping out the front differential ring gear and the output pinion shaft gear inside the transmission changing it from the 64 tooth ring gear / 15 tooth matching output pinion gear, to a USDM DSM transmission 58-tooth front diff ring gear and 15-tooth matching output pinion gear. The JDM 15-tooth pinion gear has a smaller diameter profile and only matches to the JDM 64 tooth and 63 tooth front diff ring gears. The USDM 15-tooth output pinion gear has a larger diameter and there are 4 variations between 1990-1999, so you need to use the matching ring gear to match the profile of the USDM pinion gear.

For transfer cases then, you would use a standard 1.090 ratio 1991-1996 24/22 tooth 23-spline transfer case.

With the transmission, there is one more important detail you must change; that is the shift selector lever. The JDM Evo 1/2/3 lever arm length and curvature are different than the USDM transmissions. Being that you are doing this into a 2G DSM, you must use a 1995-1999 shift lever arm assembly installed into the transmission. I actually have 5 brand new 1995-1999 shift lever assemblies on the shelf and they are extremely limited stock remaining in circulation with Mitsubishi. I had to order a bunch from Japan to restock my dealer.

So, yes, there are a couple things needed to make it work.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back