The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

420A ESI Engine Swap?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aren't the later EVO 4G63s a direct bolt-on in terms of engine mounts on the 420a cars? May have to keep it FWD at first but converting to AWD wouldn't be as bad as what 'kmetiuk' has done (which by the way is an awesome project!).

Aren't the later EVO 4G63s a direct bolt-on in terms of engine mounts on the 420a cars? May have to keep it FWD at first but converting to AWD wouldn't be as bad as what 'kmetiuk' has done (which by the way is an awesome project!).

Thanks man. :)

True. I didn't think of a later 4G63.

That's mos def doable...there's a member on here who has done that as well.

He still had to move the DS engine mount about 6", the wiring up of the motor looked like a bit of work as it custom b/c (I think) he used the EVO Ecu as well. So you'd get MIVEC as well which would be cool as well.

Thanks for the help everyone. I bought the car while I was down in Texas to get to work, but I am now back in Wisconsin. I really didn't have time to look around when I was down there for a specific vehicle, but I've always liked the Talons. So, you can kind of see my dilemma. I just want it to run better, not really looking for speed. One more thing... What is a good sounding muffler for it & where could I get some rims?? Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the help everyone. I bought the car while I was down in Texas to get to work, but I am now back in Wisconsin. I really didn't have time to look around when I was down there for a specific vehicle, but I've always liked the Talons. So, you can kind of see my dilemma. I just want it to run better, not really looking for speed. One more thing... What is a good sounding muffler for it & where could I get some rims?? Thanks in advance.

Well there's two ways I can see this going. You'll keep your current Talon in stock condition and drive it for awhile before you think: "Damn, sure would like to go a bit faster". Then you'll probably sell it and get the turbo version. By that time you'll definitely be deep in the DSM game so be ready to spend a lot of time learning/fixing about the car and some money as well.

Or you will drive this for awhile and just get bored of it and sell it on. Honestly in either case it's really up to you but do think about if you want to spend a lot of money on your current one or just start fresh with a turbo/AWD model.

Ultimately any DSM is a cool car so I'm sure you'll enjoy this one. Also in terms of wheels just check your local craigslist/ebay or maybe if there's a proper wheel shop in your town. The stock specs are 5x114.3 , normally the offset is about +46mm, but that looks sort of bad because it tucks the wheel to the inside of the well. These cars can run with 8 or even 8.5" wide wheels, up to 18" but then you'll need to have the offset (ET) between +35 and +40. Also on a non-turbo you'll feel that the car will get a bit sluggish if you put wide 17" wheels for example, although it will have a more sporty and responsive ride. Personally my favorite combo is 225/50/17 tire on a +42, 8" wide wheel.

What is a good sounding muffler for it

Stock.... trust me 420a's do not sound great at all in their N/T form with an open exhaust. When I had my 95 ESi, that was my first "mod". Reverting back to a stock exhaust from a horrible 3.5" exhaust. Sounded 10000% better and even gained some TQ on the lower RPM band. :)

My clutch bearings are going/gone too. Is that a hard fix? It rattles/grinds until clutch warms up....

Stock.... trust me 420a's do not sound great at all in their N/T form with an open exhaust. When I had my 95 ESi, that was my first "mod". Reverting back to a stock exhaust from a horrible 3.5" exhaust. Sounded 10000% better and even gained some TQ on the lower RPM band. :)
Yeah, the only way to make a 420a nt exhaust sound good is with a big resonator. Lol. I found an Airmass Thundermuff exhaust and got it due to it being something I wanted back in the day. No resonator=No good. It was so loud and raspy that I was afraid I was going to get pulled over. Got a Vibrant Ultraquiet resonator and it is much better, with rasp only remaining for about 800 rpm above 4500. Imo, eBay exhausts in general have resonators that have little to effect on a clean sound and should be swapped out for a better one.

How much later are we talking? What year model evo? Ever forum I've seen has said all motor swaps for the 420a talon are fabrication extensive and super expensive. So if there's an easier option I would love to know more.

Get a GST there are plenty and cheap. Not worth doing all that work to an ESi. When you're finish converting it you spent more than what a 2g GST would cost.
I just don't want to get rid of my car. Not only is it my first DSM it is the first car I ever bought. And then I found out that 97 is also the rarest year model for the talon since fewer talons were made in 97 than any other year. There are tons of Eclipses around me but i only know of 2 other Talons in a 200 mile radius of me.

I just don't want to get rid of my car. Not only is it my first DSM it is the first car I ever bought. And then I found out that 97 is also the rarest year model for the talon since fewer talons were made in 97 than any other year. There are tons of Eclipses around me but i only know of 2 other Talons in a 200 mile radius of me.
I hear you. But with what you mentioned you would like to do to the car(engine swap),you would be wise to look on Facebook,Craig's list or autotrader for a fwd tsi talon. There is nothing extra special,about a 97 2g talon unless it's a tsi AWD or fwd tsi. But they are both out there. Plenty 96s out there.

Wow you are right it is hard to find a 97 tsi fwd. the AWDs are easier to find

Last edited:
I hear you. But with what you mentioned you would like to do to the car(engine swap),you would be wise to look on Facebook,Craig's list or autotrader for a fwd tsi talon. There is nothing extra special,about a 97 2g talon unless it's a tsi AWD or fwd tsi. But they are both out there. Plenty 96s out there.

Wow you are right it is hard to find a 97 tsi fwd. the AWDs are easier to find
I also live in North Dakota. So they're even harder to find here. With all the snow we get most people prefer heavier full size sedans or big 4x4s

Would you sell the ecu from your esi? Does it have the single bolt connector?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
I'm not going to say he wouldn't sell it, but considering this thread is 5 years old you might not get a response LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back