The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Road Race Build ESi + 4G63 + AWD + Evo 8 + HE351VE = Project Warface

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I stand completely humbled by your automotive prowess. I thought I had done a lot to my eclipse over 15 years of ownership, enough to justify not wanting to tackle a major project on it ever again. Then you have to go and weld up a hybrid chassis and the holes LINE UP. I get pissed when I can't line up bolts on my unwarped and completely unmolested chassis - WTF you are like from another dimension. It was only when I read that your car got impounded immediately, I was like OK he is a human DSMer like the rest of us.

The pictures of the single bolt... kept going...ahahaha maybe the garage vapors got to you.

This is really cool. I appreciate all the photos you took of the process. That really put in perspective just how different the cars actually are. Nice work and keep it up!!

Project has taken a drastic and exciting turn....

I JUST ENTERED THIS RIDE INTO THE LEDUC 1000KM RACE!!!! 370 laps = 9-11 hours of fcuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck ya!

God I am pumped. Only 2 months to repair the blown water pump and then 6 more months to get it ready for the big race. Not missing much at this point....

Its mostly been shaken down to....I bag the fcuk outta this thing EVERY time I take it out (in a legal and very controlled way of course) so I should have no surprises.

I do have one question for anyone that's listening...

What are you thoughts on transmissions? LSD's? Dogbox vs a stage 5? Clutch packs (the ACT 2600 kills my leg after an hour or so)

Obliviously my power levels will warrant this...we're shooting for +35psi on the track...its a twisty mofo with a few very long stretches so I am worried about pounding on that tranny for 9-11 hours straight

Literally the last few things I have yet to finalize.

I am thinking a twin plate sprung clutch with a shep/jacks stage 5 with quafie front, back, and center.

Thoughts?

Best piece of advice I can give is keep the internal transmission temps under control. Molecular separation due to kinetic energy spikes is what tests material properties.

Ya, thats what my gut was saying to. I'm thinking of drilling holes in the transfer case/tranny/diffs and running a standalone circulation system with a big oil cooling rad.

But I am still worried that +400 ftlbs for 9 hours straight that its gonna eat that tranny away....

Is there any advantage to goto a dogbox in our cars?

What about clutch options...anyone with any experience at these power levels? I really do not want to be dropping a tranny mid race to replace disks.... I will....but i dont want to. hahahaha

Last edited:
But I am still worried that +400 ftlbs for 9 hours straight that its gonna eat that tranny away....

Remember that torque is a measure of work and in this case it is not a direct measurement of energy (joule), but is related. The components inside the transmission can handle the stress of 400 ft*lbs, but as the force is applied, the kinetic energy will begin to rise (temperature) and the molecules will begin to separate. Any imperfections in the manufacture of the components will be tested if the kinetic energy is not kept in check. If you can keep the components at a constant temperature (average kinetic energy), the components won't care if you are at hour 1 or hour 9. It's the drastic rise/fall and very high temperature that will cause failure.

"But I am still worried that +400 ftlbs for 9 hours straight that its gonna eat that tranny away...."

Remember that torque is a measure of work and in this case it is not a direct measurement of energy (joule), but is related. The components inside the transmission can handle the stress of 400 ft*lbs, but as the force is applied, the kinetic energy will begin to rise (temperature) and the molecules will begin to separate. Any imperfections in the manufacture of the components will be tested if the kinetic energy is not kept in check. If you can keep the components at a constant temperature (average kinetic energy), the components won't care if you are at hour 1 or hour 9. It's the drastic rise/fall and very high temperature that will cause failure.

That is a very very interesting analysis. I get what your saying and was thinking the same thing. I had already planned to run a trans oil cooler but now I guess I am completely committed now.

No advantage to dog box hey? I know they shift like crap, but its a full blown race car now.

Clutches are still an issue tho...

Got the LSD's figured out....

Any advantage to replacing the BFG LSD thats in there now (4 bolt) with the EVO swap? Or with trying to find a quafie rear diff?

A dog box built with the same materials is just as likely to fail due to temperature issues.

Any strength you add to the internals will give you more room for error in keeping temperature in check. It's the same concept as building a motor. Most people will never test the limits as far as force applied to their "built" motor.... They do it for the fudge factor. A forged internal motor that has a 6 knock count at 400 ft*lbs will live because of material strength. A stock motor will likely not.

EVO lsd will lock harder and sooner than your old viscous coupling, please see the thread below for more info

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/road-course-autocross/400884-lets-talk-difs.html

Reading right now....

I guess to remain in ST class I have to use OEM mass produced diffs...I believe that torsen style is still a mass produced diff so I am hoping I can put the Quafie ATB's front and center and an EVO in the rear.

A dog box built with the same materials is just as likely to fail due to temperature issues.

Any strength you add to the internals will give you more room for error in keeping temperature in check. It's the same concept as building a motor. Most people will never test the limits as far as force applied to their "built" motor.... They do it for the fudge factor. A forged internal motor that has a 6 knock count at 400 ft*lbs will live because of material strength. A stock motor will likely not.

I get what your saying. I'll just get a shep/jacks stage 4 with a ton of oil cooling. That should hopefully be enough.

Quaife center will probably cause you a catastrophic Transmission failure.
When the center diff breaks it usually takes out the transmission at the same time.

Please read regarding that as well.

Regards!

Quaife center will probably cause you a catastrophic Transmission failure.
When the center diff breaks it usually takes out the transmission at the same time.

Please read regarding that as well.

Regards!

Thanks man! I was totally just reading that in the lets talk diff thread...

Seems like the 4 spider with VC is the best center, the Evo8 with the 12 pack upgrade is pretty stellar for on throttle oversteer, and I'm still trying to figure out the front....

Thanks man! I was totally just reading that in the lets talk diff thread...

Seems like the 4 spider with VC is the best center, the Evo8 with the 12 pack upgrade is pretty stellar for on throttle oversteer, and I'm still trying to figure out the front....
I have the Weir 16 clutch upgrade, 4 Spider OEM VC center and Quaife Front.... I can let you know how that works out when the weather is better. I was a understeering pig last year with the Quaife front and open diff rear, hoppefully this will balance my car out better.

You definitaly cannot let go the gas pedal while conering with the Quaife front you will understeer like you never seen before.

Regards!

I have the Weir 16 clutch upgrade, 4 Spider OEM VC center and Quaife Front.... I can let you know how that works out when the weather is better. I was a understeering pig last year with the Quaife front and open diff rear, hoppefully this will balance my car out better.

You definitaly cannot let go the gas pedal while conering with the Quaife front you will understeer like you never seen before.

Regards!

Thats what Im reading on the other thread...lots of off-throttle understeer with the quafie front.

I'm thinking the clutch pack center and rear now....but still not sure on the front. I'd love to find an EVO3 VC front if I could....

Locked in....

Raliart front Mech LSD with an ATS center Mech LSD and an EVO8 rear Mech LSD.

Got a new HOLSET HE351VE locked in too...now I have a backup turbo for the enduro.

Swapping plates will give me a lot of tuneability....and also allow for some good rally use in the future.

I think those those Quafie's would be junk for rally.

Aight....next item on my list ins roll cages.....I'm thinking the chump car stuff is the best and cheapest route.

Got my eye on this mofo:
Chump Car Roll Cage Kit 1.75 x 120 DOM Tubing

But I am still looking around...anyone got any ideas/links/experience?

Decided to buy a tube bender and do it myself. Way more cost effective....and fun.

Order the 2150cc injectors, the diffs, and a few other things...

Still not having any luck finding a EVO8 rear end though....

Does anyone have a spare EVO8 Rear for sale?

Found a diff and axels....now my drive train is complete diff wise.

Here's the parts that I have in hand right now....

10175240_479390378828534_1086909885_n.jpg

Found a diff and axels....now my drive train is complete diff wise.

Here's the parts that I have in hand right now....

The diff on the bottom left is the center 1.5way diff and the right is a Raliart 1 way front! Suuuuuper happy about the 1 way waaaaaay less poweroff understeer. :D

Check out that intake U-Bend.....4" intake?! whaaaaaaaat? God I'm pumped. :D

Last edited:
Where did you get the 4" u bend? how much? I need one for my intake setup as well.

soooooo much work......getting ready to go racing and I blew a PS belt the night before on Project Warface so I had to use the parts car (thankfully not stripped yet).

So when I went racing to get my race licence I was using the parts car and it held up like a champ. The Big16G was set to about 18 psi and pulled hard ....most of the day....until my timing belt skipped a tooth on the last race on the first day.

So I sourced the PS belt during the day through the GF and managed to get it on Mr. Warface and finished up the race ready details. Passed tech the next day and bagged the hell out of the car....till the second last race. Then the T25 blew....bad. It seems either the shaft broke or the the bearings disintegrated. It was like a ball joint inside and the blades on the compressor just fell apart and got sucked up into the intake.

Managed to borrow a buddies ride for the last course session and received my passing certificate. :)

Now I have 2 broken cars ahahahahah. Oh well....back to the garage.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back