Engine rebuilt or used motor what's better?

Posted by crispy cream, Apr 13, 2011
Newbie Forum - Beginner DSM modification questions and discussions. Common, repetitive, and general discussions will get dumped here from other tech forums. Unless you're a Probationary member you shouldn't post threads here.

1. crispy cream

crispy cream Probationary Member

laredo, Texas
    Hey guys new here i own a 95 Eagle Talon tsi 4g63t .Just blew the motor.I needed some help in finding what parts and where to buy the parts for a engine rebuilt stock and performance parts?

Or should i just buy a used motor?:banghead:

Thanks everyone for the help.

2. Haytees

Haytees Proven Member

Walcott, Iowa
    If it was me I would just rebuild it... find a nice name brand kit on eBay and do work on it.... unless you find a nice used motor for the low

3. forcdndukshun

forcdndukshun Probationary Member

eugene, Oregon
    A used motor is always a gamble, but with enough members on here doing six bolt swaps you could probably find a good candidate. As for rebuilding a motor are you going to be doing it yourself? Do you have the ability and knowledge to do it and whats the budget?

4. Bud92gsx

Bud92gsx Supporting Member

DSM Profiles:
    Your moms house, BC_Canada
    A used motor you have no idea what condition is in..An engine rebuild makes sure that your newish engine will be reliable for years to come..Try clicking the marketplace tab on the top of the page..Some of the vendors offer full enigine rebuild kits..Unlesss you want to up your power, in that case the vendors also sell things like forged pistons, beefier rods, and forged crankshafts..

Or you could always get one of the frankenstein engines that DSM Graveyard - Your #1 Source for DSM Parts! sell..Those engines can handle up to 500 hp..

5. crispy cream

laredo, Texas
    eBay is my last resort any other websites you know of?

Thanks

6. agarc023

agarc023 Supporting VIP

Vista, California
    If you're in a pinch and can find a decent used one go for it...otherwise rebuild. I'm sure it would be much more rewarding

7. crispy cream

laredo, Texas
    Yes I'm doing it my self with some help of my friends that own shops. And the budget just got my tax return LOL so not a big concern.

8. FLASH1970

FLASH1970 Proven Member

Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
    Exactly what "blew" on the engine? If it's just a headgasket, pull the head, rebuild the head if needed or find a ruilt one, make sure the block and head surfaces are flat and put a new headgasket on and reassemble. What did a leakdown test reveal? The bottom end might still be good so no need to pull it.

9. crispy cream

laredo, Texas
    The crank is lock i pulled the oil pan off and it had a cam ring or holder don't know what its called exactly. The motor is out already one of the piston is jammed by the cam ring or holder.

Thanks

Do you guys have a list of things to get? Don't really know what to get.

10. bagged420a

bagged420a Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Huntsville, Alabama
  11. crispy cream

laredo, Texas
    Is it better to have forged parts or stock?

12. Black Widow97

Black Widow97 Supporting Member

DSM Profiles:
    Sioux Falls, South_Dakota
    Rebuild is better, IF done right. As far as forged or stock, It really depends on your hp goals with the car. Stock internals are capable of holding well over 400HP.

13. Ghost1984

Ghost1984 Proven Member

Southwest, Missouri
    That all depends on what you plan on doing with your car. Obviously forged are gonna be much stronger and capable of holding more boost and supporting higher horsepower goals. There has been quite a few people out there that have broke the 400+ whp mark on stock internals, but going with a build engine will give you a little more room to play with.

Edit: black widow beat me to it by a few minutes haha. :D

14. gusu

gusu Proven Member

Keizer, Oregon
    MachV sells a GREAT stock rebuild kit for cheap. I bought it a couple years ago for about 600 bucks.

The problem with forged internals is they expand so much that if you don't let them warm up and get on it to early you will get blow by.

The good thing with them though is they are STRONG. I have heard they wear out faster but I don't know if that is because of the fact that people who buy them most likely have money to blow and just run the hell out of them with other high HP parts.

As for a used motor, good luck with that. You really have no clue what you are buying.

15. crispy cream

laredo, Texas
    Oh OK so in other words its better. I'll post pics later of my built and ride.

Thanks..

16. crusada

crusada Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Mendon, Ohio
    As everyone said building it is better. Are you trying to use the same crank. Also is a 6 bolt swap an option?