The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Engine keeps eating alternator belt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashten Alexander

Proven Member
Oct 13, 2015
Houston, Texas
The belt that goes to the alternator keeps getting shredded and i cant seem to figure it out . At a cold start up and pressing the gas it lets off a squealing noise . Every thing is tighten down as far as possible ( side note ) it dint start this until i changed the timing belt. the timing belt is nice and tight and can hold its own at 7k rpms :( :idontknow::idontknow:

All pulleys lined up perfectly straight and not wobbling? Take a look while its running and make sure.

All pulleys lined up perfectly straight and not wobbling? Take a look while its running and make sure.
will do and will report back in a few . I also tried to upload pictures but getting an error that the pictures are too large for the server to process . the belt is slipping to the left side of the pulley but missing chunks from the right side. the left side of the belt still looks new . If that helps any .

Email your pics to yourself and resize them when prompted (or on my phone it does that) and then upload the resized pictures, I do it all the time. :thumb:

Water pump pulley on backwards maybe since you had that apart for the timing belt. Just another thing to check.

Water pump pulley on backwards maybe since you had that apart for the timing belt. Just another thing to check.
Thanks guys , the water pump pulley was turned the wrong way LOL . that was such an easy fix . Now shes starts up squeak free and is idling beautiful . going to take it for a 30 minute test drive . Wish me luck ! :hellyeah::dsm::thumb:

Yeah!!!! I got one right, hahaha. I'm sure glad it was that easy, I've been there just recently so I was trying to remember all of the things I had to remove and that was one of them. Here you go....GOOD LUCK!!! :D :talon:

Last edited:
I had the same issue on my 1st eclipse and it turned out to be the alternator bracket was mounted a tiny bit crooked.

Yeah, check the alignment of all the pulleys and make sure they look like they are running true. Did you put a new belt on and now its squeaking again? Just make sure its tight if all the alignment looks good while running. DANG.....

When you turn the key to the ON position, does the Battery indicator lamp light up on the dash? If no, replace that lamp. Also, under the hood is a generator relay, near the airbox. it's not actually a relay, but a resistor and a diode in a plastic case. If the lamp is burned out, and or that relay is bad, the alternator will be full-on trying to charge, and belt will squeel like hell, the belt will melt and break, in no time at all...

Yes the battery indicator does come on when the key is turned to the on position. I just decided to replace all of my pullies sometimes next week, And came across a OBX Blue Overdrive Power Pulley Kit. Are those worth anything? Or any of the other light weight pulley kits for the gsx? How about the ralco rz pulley kit?

Last edited:
I have seen that belts that gets eaten by pulleys, usually one of the pulleys has a nick in it. As stated above inspect all the pulleys that the belt goes around and make sure there isn't any small nick you will have to rub your fingers on the pulley in order to feel it sometimes they are difficult to catch with the naked eye.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back