The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Engine bay paint?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

race_me89

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 8, 2008
Selden, New_York
Ok I have my motor and tranny out of the car currently and I have been staring at this ugly engine bay for a couple weeks and I decided that I want to smile every time I pop my hood. I used a degreaser to clean the whole engine bay and in some spots the paint is well just fading away. I want to get a rattle can that's super close to the factory paint. I figured someone here might know what brand or color would do the trick

My 1g is two tone grey/black. Any suggestions would be Appreciated

Are you looking for an oem color match?

Most local stores can search your paint code and mix the proper paint in an aerosol can for you. Other option is doing a durable paint coat, I'm doing bed armor in my engine bay, but my car will also be black.

If your looking for factory color and quality, then Automotivetouchup is the place to go IMO.

However, I'd suggest painting the engine bay Matte or Satin black. It's cheap, easy to touch up, and makes the bay look much cleaner. Here's a recent pic of mine.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Wow I wasn't expecting an answer so quickly LOL
Thanks guys that site was easy and super quick
I think I'm going to get a few spray cans of factory grey so that it will blend well and I don't have to take the fenders off or get in to any tight spots

Honestly, your best bet is going to be Rustoleum WITH a rustoleum primer. If its enamel, the paint will last as long as you don't treat it bad. But then you're limited in color options..

During my head gasket fix, I went ahead and resprayed the bay. I only used one can of primer, a little can of the auto paint, and a can of clear from Autozone.

I wasn't expecting a great finish, but it turned out really nice for rattle can. Obviously it won't look as good or be as durable as real paint, but it's a good compromise for only $15. :thumb:

Wow, that really turned out nice for a spray can job! Nice work.

OP Although you are only looking for a quick cheaper paint job, which could quite possibly look great. Im a big fan of doing things the right way. So, if you have the funds and time and perhaps tools and equipment Id suggest just using a regular paint..

503552[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• bay16new.jpg
    bay16new.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 58
You can make spray paint look good if you lightly scuff the paint and do a few coats of clear. Tape off your sensor ends and little things like that to make it look cleaner.

Wow, that really turned out nice for a spray can job! Nice work.

OP Although you are only looking for a quick cheaper paint job, which could quite possibly look great. Im a big fan of doing things the right way. So, if you have the funds and time and perhaps tools and equipment Id suggest just using a regular paint..

503560[/ATTACH]"]

Thank you! It's all in the prep. I sanded down as much as I could in a reasonable amount of time, and just went to town with the can.

And trust me, I would have loved to do it the right way with some real paint, but it just wasn't in the budget/timeframe. It was one of those, "while I got everything out" deals.

Attachments

• bay16new.jpg
    bay16new.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 63
That green is pretty creative! ;)

I am actually going to go with Orange. My girlfriend has MS and when the car is complete I want to dedicate it to her and see about getting it wrapped with her fundraising teams name

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back