The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Engine bay HOTT

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dc320

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 22, 2011
CARMEL, New_York
SO ive just got the car running and driving around, i noticed today after driving to work, maybe 4 miles, that my engine bay is extremely hot. Ill start by saying the heatshield is extremely rusted and thin now, probably original. But i went to check clutch fluid level when i got there and everything was soo hot. Most near the hot side of turbo and manifold.

Do you think its just that my heat shield is doing nothing to retain the heat? If not what are some things you gus could think of?

The temp gauge was FINE, i was constantly watching both temp and oil pressure since she hasnt ran in 5 years.

Those temp gauges and oil gauges, if factory, have no precision. They simply tell you , yes you have pressure and yes you have temperature. They also suggest that it is not EXTREME.

Example, My temp needle in the middle has a range of about +/- 1mm on either side of whatever middle is and that range spans about 40* including pretty bad overheating. I have not experienced first hand the inaccuracy the oil pressure gauge, but others say the same thing.

Idling at full temp, your exhaust manifold is around 500*. The chra is around 300 and the engine block is around 200 IIRC from using a cheapo laser thermometer thing. Not to mention tour fans are blowing 190-210* air fresh off of your radiator.

You should define "extremely a little better). For reference I hate working on my car at full temp. Everything is too hot to touch. Anything metal has absorbed enough radiant heat and sucks. Only thing that are sort of safe are the cam cover, and silicone couplers, or outside fenders.

Have you moved the cam angle sensor at all? If its not in the right position it can cause these symptoms you mentioned.

That engine temp gauge is telling you the engine temp is between 160* and 240* LOL. I have watched mine and link has given me actual vales from 180 to 220 for that same spot (I try to stay under 200 or near 196). It is not worth a damn except to tell you you are in some ballpark of an operating temp. Honestly, if your cooling system is up to par, you are probably not running too hot, and are being paranoid.

Any mods on the car? Now would be the best time to get link:)

Gauge is spot on - reading 190's due to the T-stat throttling down the coolant flow in the block to get the heat off of the cylinder walls.

Also, oil temps are in the 240 to 300 range in normal operation conditions. It's the reason why we have oil sumps to cool the oil down some before it heads back up unto the block to pull more heat out in as well as lube the motor.

Motors are built to run HOT so they can run at their most effective purpose. You run them cold and they will hate you forever.

My temp gauge looks the same under normal conditions.

Thus, your vehicle is running fine. Enjoy the ride.

-DSM

No its bone stock, and its sat for 5 years before now. So i think i can safely say i have no clue if its up to par.

I am not driving it anymore this week as i just found the oil return line leaking.

Going to do new oil return and another oil change, new coolant hoses and fluid, and possibly new tranny fluid.

Ive also got the clutch situation, that i think i have narrowed down to having an AWD slave in my FWD car causing it to not fully disengage.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back