Emissions Delete?

Posted by bcjjones, Nov 4, 2011
Newbie Forum - Beginner DSM modification questions and discussions. Common, repetitive, and general discussions will get dumped here from other tech forums. Unless you're a Probationary member you shouldn't post threads here.

1. bcjjones

bcjjones Proven Member

Austin, Texas
    About to do the emissions delete processes tomorrow, even though we do have the emissions testing in the current city i live in. I will be moving before my next inspection is due though to a safety only county, so im not worried about it. I am curious though after thinking about it, wouldnt deleting the emissions components, especially the EGR valve, affect gas mileage? By making the motor run rich? Or am i thinking about this wrong?
  2. Boostinsideways

Boostinsideways Banned Member

DSM Profiles:
    Arab, Alabama
    It might effect your gas mileage slightly. Not enough to worry about either way.
  3. gusu

gusu Proven Member

Keizer, Oregon
    All a EGR valve does is warm the air using hot exhaust gas to make more of it burn. It is not a after burn system at all. You are not going to run rich as the AF mixture is the same as before. The loss of gas mileage is due to less of the fuel being used. How this system can create better mileage while making you lose horsepower is beyond me. I guess because it is not a noticeable difference. Not sure, anyway you should stay around the same MPG nothing drastic and MAYBE pick up a fraction of a horse.
  4. knochgoon24

knochgoon24 DSM Wiseman

DSM Profiles:
    Rochester Hills, Michigan
    The EGR doesn't work by warming the incoming air. That's not the point. And warming the air doesn't make more of it. There would still be the same number of molecules of air.

It's designed to recirculate the exhaust gas, thereby decreasing the effective displacement of your engine. The engine injects enough fuel for the fresh air coming in (since that's all the MAF will measure) while the already burnt exhaust will more or less just be inert in the air charge. It is only active during low load conditions, like while cruising. There really isn't much of a reason to remove it. Most end up removing it because they go with an upgraded intake manifold, and they don't have the EGR.

I bet you can't tell when your EGR is working and when it isn't. So the horsepower argument is pointless.

If you car is pretty much stock, just leave it. The EGR hoses and solenoids don't take up much space. And you can move the solenoid down the firewall if it's an eyesore.

It does help lower emissions by reburning some of the exhaust, which gives some of the compounds a second chance to reburn.
  5. chipchip

chipchip Proven Member

Flushing, Michigan
    How much are the block off plates for the egr vavle?
  6. knochgoon24

knochgoon24 DSM Wiseman

DSM Profiles:
    Rochester Hills, Michigan
    Seriously?

Just pick your favorite vendor and check on their site.

In the 20 minutes since you posted, you could have checked at least 10 of them.
  7. Kalub

Kalub Proven Member

Boise, Idaho
    You can make one in even less time than that...