The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Electrical Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eon

Probationary Member
Sep 2, 2014
Marion, North_Carolina
Hey guys, since I'm a "probationary" member it wouldn't let me post this anywhere else. I've got a 96 Eclipse Spyder GS. I recently had the timing jump got that fixed then next thing I know hardly any of my electrical components work. My speedo doesn't work. My radio doesn't work, my rear window defogger doesn't work, my door locks won't work and I'm a firefighter i wired my red light straight to a fuse and it also doesn't work. I've checked all of the fuses and all of them are good. Any idea on what I need to check next? Battery is good and so is my alternator.

I also forgot to add that my headlights come on almost every time I start the car even with the switch being turned off. The only way I can get them to turn off once I turn the car off is to pull the fuse.

Also, I just put a new radio in it today. If I cut it up past 20 roughly it turns off and on when the bass hits.

I also ran into another problem when I left for work today. I backed down my hill and got halfway down my driveway and the car just shut off and the check engine light came on. I also ran into another problem tonight. when I was leaving work it acted like it didn't want to start but my battery had power because my interior lights, fire light, radio, etc worked fine but it wouldn't start so I cut the key off after the first try and it started right up the second time. But as I left I was driving to my girlfriends and I had my subs going and everything was fine. When I started to slow down my lights started flashing and then kept flashing every time the bass would hit. When I left her house no matter where I would stop the car would just shut off. While I was driving it in 3rd or higher gear my lights would stay dim until I downshifted to at least 2nd. But once again no matter where I stopped it would shut off even in neutral. Any ideas?

you have a charging issue, the first thing I would do is replace the cables coming off your battery with higher quality cables around 4 gage, then I would check the cables coming off the alternator including the 2 crappy charge cables that goes from the alternator to the fuse panel and the harness that goes into the alternator. if you have a volt meter measure your battery voltage while the car is off it should be around 12v, then measure while the car is on it should be around 14.7v

finally check all the grounds under the dash and in the engine bay including all wiring harnesses. if you can ready an electrical diagram you can get a pdf copy of the cars wiring I would use that to trace the charging circuit and main power circuit

Ran into another problem yet again. Was driving it the other day and it lost power to everything. Motor died and wouldn't start back checked all terminals, grounds, etc. My gas gauge read 1/2 tank. We think it's the timing again but it still has compression. When it stopped we was trying to start it, all it would do is turn over and occasionally backfire through the engine. Any ideas?

Great posts here, looking to see what changing the crank positioning sensor would remedy the most recent problem. Like Agil30 said, it really makes sense.

Changed the crank sensor back in August when it jumped time the first time. Would it have gone out that fast?

Changed the crank sensor back in August when it jumped time the first time. Would it have gone out that fast?
If something is rubbing against it or a short somewhere, it could go out again.. Do you know what code the check engine light is throwing?

If something is rubbing against it or a short somewhere, it could go out again.. Do you know what code the check engine light is throwing?
Haven't ran the codes yet. Haven't been able to get my grandpas tester yet to run them. Hoping to get the tester tomorrow or Saturday.

Haven't ran the codes yet. Haven't been able to get my grandpas tester yet to run them. Hoping to get the tester tomorrow or Saturday.
Autozone will read them for you for free!! I think Napa as well not so sure. You could also find a member on here that lives near to let you borrow their ob2 scanner.

Autozone will read them for you for free!! I think Napa as well not so sure. You could also find a member on here that lives near to let you borrow their ob2 scanner.

It wont run so I can't get it to autozone haha. If I had thought about it my buddy had one today when he was over at the house but it slipped my mind. I'll call him tomorrow and get the codes matched up see what it says and let you guys know for sure!

It wont run so I can't get it to autozone haha. If I had thought about it my buddy had one today when he was over at the house but it slipped my mind. I'll call him tomorrow and get the codes matched up see what it says and let you guys know for sure!
You could also push it there haha :). Thats great man, the sooner the better. keep us posted.

You could also push it there haha :). Thats great man, the sooner the better. keep us posted.

Tried to get codes off of it. But the car told me there wasn't any codes for it to read.[DOUBLEPOST=1410651326][/DOUBLEPOST]
You should be able to do the key dance to get the codes. You can look at how to do it here. It also shows what the codes are for each number. A lot better than the Haynes manuals.

I'll try this tomorrow.[DOUBLEPOST=1410728217][/DOUBLEPOST]
You should be able to do the key dance to get the codes. You can look at how to do it here. It also shows what the codes are for each number. A lot better than the Haynes manuals.

I tried this method and I got nothing from the check engine light. All it did was come like it always does when I first turn the key off and go off.

Last edited:
It takes a few seconds for the ecu to read the codes and relay it back to the check engine light. Try again and wait a few. If it doesn't start to flash after 30 secs then something went wrong with the dance. You should at least get a 55 when doing the key dance.

It takes a few seconds for the ecu to read the codes and relay it back to the check engine light. Try again and wait a few. If it doesn't start to flash after 30 secs then something went wrong with the dance. You should at least get a 55 when doing the key dance.

I tried this and still got nothing out of it. This piece, I'm not sure what it is but it was vibrating and making a loud noise when I would cut the key on.

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 66
Been awhile since we worked on the car. We went down there the other day to make sure everything was in time, etc. Took the battery out and tried to jump it off but it still wouldn't do anything but turn over. We're gonna try the crankshaft sensor in the next couple of days.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back