The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

EGR delete

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4everboosted

Proven Member
Dec 6, 2013
Butler, Pennsylvania
I have some major boost leaks in my throttle body area. BISS Screw etc, but when I was tracing them I had the idea that the egr seal or lines could be leaking. Shined a light down there and its already got a plate over it. I come from the diesel world where your path to upgrading means start with an egr delete. Was wanting some opinions from people who have done it with DSM's as to whether its a good idea or not. I'm emissions exempt by the way so no worries there.

It doesn't seem to be leaking i sprayed it with soapy water during boost leak test. I just know on a diesel you definantly don't want it there because all that soot will recirculate but I have heard they run hotter on gasoline engines without them being there.

We'll I think if you remove it, it will hurt your fuel economy. Plus the delete doesn't give any power gains. So if it's not broken why fix it. I'll take the extra 2-3 mpg.
You do the EGR delete along side with all the other emissions to limit the number of things that can cause a boost leak. My EGR went bad and was causing my car to run like crap, so I deleted it and it ran so much better.

Yeah but like you said "my egr went bad" if everything is in working order you shouldn't have a problem. Besides regarding emissions the only thing that hurts performance is your cat.

If you don't have DSMLink or another way to correct the Check Engine light, you'll have issues when getting your car inspected. The EGR being taken off will through a code. Check here for a bit more information on the EGR removal process.

Yeah I have dsmlink and no check engine light, but cars don't fail inspection for a check engine light, they only fail emissions tests, but I am emissions exempt. At least that's how it works in PA. And cooper97gst I agree with you about the fuel milage, but its just one my toys I don't daily drive it, I'm still getting 19mpg last time I checked and that was with it cutting out and sputtering.

If you have ecmlink and they don't check for egr in your state I would block it off. One less thing to go wrong and while there may be no immediate performance gains from deleting the EGR, in the long run it will keep your intake manifold clean.

but cars don't fail inspection for a check engine light, they only fail emissions tests, but I am emissions exempt. At least that's how it works in PA.

Some counties will fail you for a CEL or an ABS light. No emissions is so nice :thumb:

cutting out and sputtering.

Is it still doing this?

may be no immediate performance gains from deleting the EGR, in the long run it will keep your intake manifold clean.

+1 on keeping the intake manifold cleaner. I put in an EGR block off plate in my turbo Laser in 2010 and it certainly does keep the inside of the manifold freer from soot and carbon buildup.

Some counties will fail you for a CEL or an ABS light. No emissions is so nice :thumb:

Is it still doing this?

+1 on keeping the intake manifold cleaner. I put in an EGR block off plate in my turbo Laser in 2010 and it certainly does keep the inside of the manifold freer from soot and carbon buildup.

Yeah I'm definantly going to leave it that way just wanted to get some opinions on it. And kreez, it probably would still be doing it, but I have the head off right now, the turbo shipped out for a rebuild, and I'm fixing all the boost leaks and replacing all gaskets at the moment. Exhaust manifold and intake manifold gaskets were leaking, as well as a huge boost leak coming from the throttle body. So hopefully no more cutting out under boost when I get it all back together haha.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back