Effects of Timing Being Off

Posted by evogst97, Apr 4, 2007
Newbie Forum - Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum.

1. evogst97

evogst97 Proven Member

Los Molinos, California
    I was trying to find all the symptoms of when your timing is off. Would their be hot temperatures? Horrible Idle? Low Vacuum? Etc. Please list all symptoms. I have searched but would like a correct list so I am not confused on this. Thanks for all the help.
  2. xdsmlaser93x

xdsmlaser93x Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    clifton park, New_York
    are you talking about ignition timing or cam/ crank timing?
  3. evogst97

evogst97 Proven Member

Los Molinos, California
    Im talking about cam/crank timing but if we could get a list for ignition timing that would be great too. This would probably save people a lot of time if we got all the symptoms.
  4. xdsmlaser93x

xdsmlaser93x Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    clifton park, New_York
    if your cam timing was off you would have major issues of bent vlaves and what not, basically it wouldnt run you would know if that was the case, if the ignition timing was way off the car could possibly not start, backfire (through intak and exhaust) possibly knock under boost if the computer cant adjust it to a sufficiant amout of degrees, knocking is not good for the engine its what breaks internals.. and things of that nature.
  5. Locke

Locke N/T DSM Wiseman

DSM Profiles:
    Houston, Texas
    Your engine can run with the cam timing off, to a point. Symptoms are everything you mentioned above.
  6. evogst97

evogst97 Proven Member

Los Molinos, California
    No other symptoms?

Well these are all the symptoms I have so this must be my problem. I'm gonna have mitsu do it because all the mechanics in my town are idiots.
  7. Locke

Locke N/T DSM Wiseman

DSM Profiles:
    Houston, Texas
    Symptoms can vary, depending on which cam is off, how far, and which way. Both can be off, the possibilities are numerous. But generally, you'll get a poor, chugging idle, low vacuum, lack of power at some point.

Turn the crank to TDC and pull the timing cover. The marks should be pointing at each other, in line with the center of the cam bolts.
  8. DJYoshaBYD

DJYoshaBYD Proven Member

Stockton, California
    Its not hard to see if the timing is off... Just look... Dont go to the stealership because they will tell you you need new cams, retainers, etc... They will try and jack you for money.. I see it all the time
  9. Systemid

Systemid Probationary Member

Oakland, California
    i just did my timing and am having the exact same symptoms. i ran the car around the block like that to see if it'll run. do you think i have any bent rods?