The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Effects of Timing Being Off

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evogst97

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 14, 2007
Los Molinos, California
I was trying to find all the symptoms of when your timing is off. Would their be hot temperatures? Horrible Idle? Low Vacuum? Etc. Please list all symptoms. I have searched but would like a correct list so I am not confused on this. Thanks for all the help.

are you talking about ignition timing or cam/ crank timing?

Im talking about cam/crank timing but if we could get a list for ignition timing that would be great too. This would probably save people a lot of time if we got all the symptoms.

if your cam timing was off you would have major issues of bent vlaves and what not, basically it wouldnt run you would know if that was the case, if the ignition timing was way off the car could possibly not start, backfire (through intak and exhaust) possibly knock under boost if the computer cant adjust it to a sufficiant amout of degrees, knocking is not good for the engine its what breaks internals.. and things of that nature.

Your engine can run with the cam timing off, to a point. Symptoms are everything you mentioned above.

Your engine can run with the cam timing off, to a point. Symptoms are everything you mentioned above.
No other symptoms?

Well these are all the symptoms I have so this must be my problem. I'm gonna have mitsu do it because all the mechanics in my town are idiots.

Symptoms can vary, depending on which cam is off, how far, and which way. Both can be off, the possibilities are numerous. But generally, you'll get a poor, chugging idle, low vacuum, lack of power at some point.

Turn the crank to TDC and pull the timing cover. The marks should be pointing at each other, in line with the center of the cam bolts.

Its not hard to see if the timing is off... Just look... Dont go to the stealership because they will tell you you need new cams, retainers, etc... They will try and jack you for money.. I see it all the time

i just did my timing and am having the exact same symptoms. i ran the car around the block like that to see if it'll run. do you think i have any bent rods?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back