The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

ECUflash EcuFlash J2534 Error Will not Read ECU Please Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blaze2gDSM

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 10, 2008
Sarver, Pennsylvania
Well as the title states I cannot get ecuflash to read my ecu. I have tried uninstalling the program and the drivers for the openport 2.0 cable and reinstalling them. Every time I get the same message about J2534 err runtime. I have no idea what the problem is, I haven't read anything about anyone having the same issue. I can log with evoscan, and Ecuflash can read my openport cable, but as soon as i try to read from ecu it just gives me the same error message. Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

I have looked at all of those links I even downloaded the drivers you sent even though it says on the tactrix site not to download them if you are runing ecuflash. I have looked at everything and still nothing. Nobody in any of those threads came up with a conclusive answer. The subaru guys all seem to have trouble with their flash cable and I'm not sure thats the issue with mine.

I'm assuming you're using the 2.0 cable from Tactrix's website?
See if you have any updates waiting.

This might sound reallllllllllly dumb and even insulting, but are you also connecting the reflash connector?

Yes I am connecting the reflash connector.

My log is as follows

[19:43:41.484] EcuFlash Version 1.42.2595
[19:43:41.484] OS Version Windows XP
[19:43:41.484] Qt Version 4.5.0
[19:43:41.500] 56 memory models read.
[19:43:41.500] scanning for metadata models in C:/Program Files/OpenECU/EcuFlash/rommetadata
[19:43:41.718] 343 ROM metadata models scanned.
[19:43:41.718] checksum module "subarudbw" loaded.
[19:43:41.718] checksum module "mitsucan" loaded.
[19:43:41.718] flashing tool "wrx02" loaded.
[19:43:41.718] flashing tool "wrx04" loaded.
[19:43:41.718] flashing tool "sti04" loaded.
[19:43:41.718] flashing tool "sti05" loaded.
[19:43:41.718] flashing tool "mitsukernel" loaded.
[19:43:41.718] flashing tool "mitsukernelocp" loaded.
[19:43:41.718] flashing tool "mitsubootloader" loaded.
[19:43:41.718] flashing tool "shbootmode" loaded.
[19:43:41.734] flashing tool "shaudmode" loaded.
[19:43:41.734] flashing tool "subarucan" loaded.
[19:43:41.734] flashing tool "mitsucan" loaded.
[19:44:16.812] J2534 API Version: 04.04
[19:44:16.812] J2534 DLL Version: 0.50.2598 Jun 26 2009 15:02:29
[19:44:16.812] Device Firmware Version: 1.10.3020
[19:44:19.328] sending init sequence 2
[19:44:21.750] J2534 error [ERR_TIMEOUT].
[19:44:22.312] J2534 error [ERR_TIMEOUT].
[19:44:22.312] interface close

I have completely removed all programs/documents from my computer involving either ecuflash, tactrix, and even evoscan to maybe find a remedy to the problem and I still can't figure it out. I have reinstalled everything at least 5 times now. I have tried to read from ecu probably about a hundred times. I have even tried installing Ecuflash 1.41. I believe 1.38 was the first version for H8 support I was going to try to install that unless anyone else had any other suggestions.

Are you sure ECUFlash is recognizing your Openport 2.0 cable? Looks like it doesn't mention that.

It says in the bottom right hand corner Openport 2.0 com 4. When it is disconnected it just says no vehicle interface and the option to even read from ecu is grayed out.

I was thinking of plugging the cable in to my computer and letting it install the drivers and then installing ecuflash afterwards. Most threads I have read have said to do the opposite but I've tried that like 5 times to no avail.

Plug in the openport 2.0 cable. Go to device manager find it. Open device properties and uninstall drivers. Then after all that reinstall ecuflash. That should do it for you. I had a similar problem like this not to long ago.

Still no luck I have tried everything I can think of and anything mentioned here with no change.

I thought maybe it was an issue with my flash plug, it was not, i ran the flash plug straight to pin 79 of the ecu and still nothing. Same error J2534 err_runtime. I cannot figure this out for the life of me and its really starting to make me want to sell this damn setup. I have uninstalled everything from my computer at least 20 times with no change. I can log in evoscan, I can do everything in evoscan but I can't read my rom from my ecu.

I also installed ecuflash 1.43 which was supposed to change a few settings with the openport 2.0 cable for h8 processors. Now instead of saying openport 2.0 on com4 it says openport 2.0 (usb). Not sure if it relevent but I wanted to include everything I could think of

Well I got another computer to try it on still no success. This time windows 7 starter package. I opened ecu flash as an admin, I can log with evoscan, I've done everything I can think of I can not read from ecu.

Last edited:
Still no success. I have completely returned my computer to stock trim to remove all traces of both evoscan and ecuflash. I have decided it has to be either a driver issue or an issue with the 2.5mm phono plug itself. Radio Shack doesn't have any 2.5mm male cords in stock so I'll have to order that, but in the meantime I'd to see if maybe there is an issue with my drivers.

Which version of ecuflash is everybody running? Did anyone else have any issues at all with their setup when they installed? I found a thread in an evo forum where the op had a similar issue and he installed in a specific order and moved a couple of drivers around and fixed it. I followed his guide and it still changed nothing. I know the beta versions of 1.43 are the only versions that recognize Windows 7 but many have ran other versions using xp in the compatibility settings. Has anybody else done the same, or is anyone else even running ecuflash with windows 7?

Hey Blaze, every got this resolved? I have the exact same issue and have been searching like crazy.

I switched over to my xp laptop, installed ecu flash, installed drivers and whoLa...good as gold!

I realize I’m like 12 years late to this party but hoping somebody figured this out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back