The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

e85 w/650cc and walbro 190

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonGST

Proven Member
Feb 28, 2014
Los Angeles, California
I've been having crazy phantom knock lately. Did a boost leak test and no leaks, and only get the knock around 2000-3000 rpm on partial throttle. I believe it's phantom but want to switch to a better octane than the 91 in CA. There are a lot of e85 stations around me, without upgrading my system anyone have a guess on how much boost i could run with an evo 3 16g, 650 FIC injectors and walbro 190? I have ecuflash to tune with.

I've been having crazy phantom knock lately. Did a boost leak test and no leaks, and only get the knock around 2000-3000 rpm on partial throttle. I believe it's phantom but want to switch to a better octane than the 91 in CA. There are a lot of e85 stations around me, without upgrading my system anyone have a guess on how much boost i could run with an evo 3 16g, 650 FIC injectors and walbro 190? I have ecuflash to tune with.
I ran 20 psi with a 255, stock regulator, evo 3 16g at about 90% idc according to ecmlink, I worked my way up to 20 from 15, I also used to get low throttle phantom knock and after sending my ecu back to ecmtuning found out it was caused by a bad solder

Those were the numbers I was seeing too @1990TSIAWDTALON I could do 29lbs/min on 80% which is about 17psi correct? I could also have more timing than what is tuned for 91 octane. I'm just trying to see if it makes sense to convert over 91octane and knowing none of the phantom knock is real. Down the line I would get better injectors and do a better tune.

You don't tune injectors based on boost, you tune by IDC. 650cc injectors will behave like 500cc injectors on pump. Which would be good for a safe 300whp.

^ it'll be just fine, just keep the idc under about 95 or so. The 190 is probably going to be the limiter for you in this case. I would probably go to a walbro 255hp, and then find a N/T FPR. That will get you 47psi bfp, and about 5% more injector flow. With an AFPR you can a little farther, but I wouldn't go past 55 or so. Have to watch your fuel pressure in those cases too.

Might be able to punch the relief on the 190, and get more out of it. Never really experimented with that though.

FWIW, I got 100mph traps out of my GGSX (3500lbs) with a 14b 450's and E85.

I love my corn!!! Give it a try but monitor the af's close. Keep it close to 12.0 @ WOT. You will not have fuel knock with it and if you still have "phantom knock" then it could be as little as something rattling around and causing it. I say GO FOR IT :thumb:
Please don't burn her up though. :)

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back