The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

General Dyno results are in guys!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Most tuners tell me take out the meth its old school since E85 came out. I did have a knock issue while using meth and perhaps due to too much timing which was a concern and I did not want to blow up my freshly built modified motor. Always heard the stories about pump and nozzle failures causing engine damage so that also steered me away. Right now the car has recently been equipped to run E85 with the new installed flex fuel setup and new fic 1650cc injectors. We are hoping to tune her soon and see what she's got.

I have the AEM kit pretty much brand new.

Most tuners tell me take out the meth its old school since E85 came out. I did have a knock issue while using meth and perhaps due to too much timing which was a concern and I did not want to blow up my freshly built modified motor. Always heard the stories about pump and nozzle failures causing engine damage so that also steered me away. Right now the car has recently been equipped to run E85 with the new installed flex fuel setup and new fic 1650cc injectors. We are hoping to tune her soon and see what she's got.

I have the AEM kit pretty much brand new.
We are running similar setups,the reason I went for e85 was exactly for that reason. As I have "evolved" the way I look at meth has changed. I think my mistake was running the tune on the ragged edge. I have a failsafe gauge on the car so that those kind of mistakes are less likely to cause damage. I also have a flow meter which unless pegged I wouldn't stay wot. Currently I'm using it for secondary cooling. It drops the iats so quickly, it's amazing. I plan on bringing the car to the dyno to verify my feelings and butt dyno.... I'd like to see how much of a differance it makes.

We are running similar setups,the reason I went for e85 was exactly for that reason. As I have "evolved" the way I look at meth has changed. I think my mistake was running the tune on the ragged edge. I have a failsafe gauge on the car so that those kind of mistakes are less likely to cause damage. I also have a flow meter which unless pegged I wouldn't stay wot. Currently I'm using it for secondary cooling. It drops the iats so quickly, it's amazing. I plan on bringing the car to the dyno to verify my feelings and butt dyno.... I'd like to see how much of a differance it makes.
My AEM kit is wired up, kinda hate the thought of taking it out. Will be a lot of work.However I will perhaps gauge how you use it. Worse comes to worse I will sell and get the S2 cams

And all my buddies back in the late 70's were thinkin I was crazy spraying windshield washer fluid thru a home made nozzle and a washer pump on a small block chevy :sneaky:
Maybe I was, it helped run more timing tho.

Looks like im not guna make it to the track tmrw guys. My truck guy bailed on me.....renting one is wayyyyyy to expensive. This SUCKS!!

Well I'm gonna see how you make use of the meth. I think I am using one 550cc nozzle just before the throttle body.
My feeling i's my tuner is gonna just ignore it but we will see.

Doesn't methanol make you change oil VERY often? And what does 5 gallons run?

Just for posterity, Bastard didn't say a "big" fmic... he said a "good" fmic. Big doesn't always mean good.
I have a large ets race intercooler. Guys I'm planning on getting back to the dyno to do some testing. I was rushed the last time I went so he kinda owes me some more time for me to tweak. I plan of testing water vs straight meth. I had great luck with spraying meth on pump. Some of you may remember I lost my original composite gasket. Can you believe I was running 24 degrees of timing at 5k on pump. This was while running boost juice 50/50. I'm considering giving it another go now that I'm a better tuner. The only damage to the motor was the gasket, I wasn't experiencing any detonation. I'm starting to think the headgaskets cannot seal at those combustion pressures..... the same thing happened on my oem mls gasket, once again I was running to much timing at peak torque. The gasket looked fine but wouldn't seal anymore. On the original motor I was running the Fp black at 33psi at 24 degrees of timing at 5k and it held for along time. I have logs to prove it. It's really amazing. As far as oil, I run the vr racing 20/50 .... best oil in my opinion. Running etoh based fuels which are by nature hydrophilic require shorter oil change intervals at least in my opinion. I can usually tell by my oil pressure, I'm running wider clearances as it is and as time goes on if I'm spraying meth my oil thins out. Even when draining the oil you can tell. The bottom line is when setting up your tune , I'd always run very low timing initially. I'm starting to believe that most headgasket issues with the 4g63 are tune related and not necessarily improper ra or assembly error.There are way to many cases of guys doing everything by the book only to suffer from head gasket issues, especially mls. In my opinion I believe the 4g63 cylinder head is fundamentally flawed in that the head casting has several open channels in which are just blocked off by the gasket. This isn't good for rigidity. Add extreme cylinder pressures, heat, and a bad tune. The gasket has no chance. I'm not a expert by any means. This is just my observation from all of my failures obviously ,since lowering my timing at my engines peak torque say around 5k-6k all my problems went away. Going forward My recommendation to anyone would def be l19 studs and a hks head gasket. It's so much more burley than the oem gasket. The layers of steel are much thicker than the oem, esp the inner layers. You can look up the comparison on YouTube. A guy compares the oem, felpro and hks. The hks is the clear winner. My new block is finished. It is oringed and those ports on the head were welded shut. I'm planning on 40+ psi on this setup. We will see boys

Love it amsrn-I am learning from all the contributors regarding these amazing machines (even with their flaws).
Now we just need to see that red-beast in action down the quarter-mile :thumb:
Just wanted to thank everyone for keeping this post alive with the increase in applicable information for my own aspirations for my Galant VR4-30 to 35 pounds with l19 studs torqued to heaven and an hks head gasket with an HX35 Holset :rocks:
Please make a run soon or WOT pull :D

P.S. Being that this thread is so active...does anyone know of or is apart of the Elevated tuning outfit in Denver here on Tuners? One of their EVO's ran an insane 9.6 1/4 pass just as I left the drag-strip (INSANE numbers with a DA of nearly 8,000)

YA know what else drops IAT like crazy? Running a good fmic....
While I agree, for drag applications wouldn't a good water to air intercooler be the most beneficial? The great thing about methanol is that it doesn't effect your spool characteristics ie pressure drop or engine cooling due to blocking your radiator. I guess for drag racing this isn't much of an issue. But I have to say here in ct we are in the upper 90s and its keeping my iats in check. I guess they both have their + and -

Not just for drag applications. ZR-1, Veyron, Lightning, Ford GT, 03-04 Cobra... all "daily driver" water to air intercooled cars.

Bastard was probably referring to the fact that a lot of fmic's have crap end tank designs.... regardless of the core size.

I have a large ets race intercooler. Guys I'm planning on getting back to the dyno to do some testing. I was rushed the last time I went so he kinda owes me some more time for me to tweak. I plan of testing water vs straight meth. I had great luck with spraying meth on pump. Some of you may remember I lost my original composite gasket. Can you believe I was running 24 degrees of timing at 5k on pump. This was while running boost juice 50/50. I'm considering giving it another go now that I'm a better tuner. The only damage to the motor was the gasket, I wasn't experiencing any detonation. I'm starting to think the headgaskets cannot seal at those combustion pressures..... the same thing happened on my oem mls gasket, once again I was running to much timing at peak torque. The gasket looked fine but wouldn't seal anymore. On the original motor I was running the Fp black at 33psi at 24 degrees of timing at 5k and it held for along time. I have logs to prove it. It's really amazing. As far as oil, I run the vr racing 20/50 .... best oil in my opinion. Running etoh based fuels which are by nature hydrophilic require shorter oil change intervals at least in my opinion. I can usually tell by my oil pressure, I'm running wider clearances as it is and as time goes on if I'm spraying meth my oil thins out. Even when draining the oil you can tell. The bottom line is when setting up your tune , I'd always run very low timing initially. I'm starting to believe that most headgasket issues with the 4g63 are tune related and not necessarily improper ra or assembly error.There are way to many cases of guys doing everything by the book only to suffer from head gasket issues, especially mls. In my opinion I believe the 4g63 cylinder head is fundamentally flawed in that the head casting has several open channels in which are just blocked off by the gasket. This isn't good for rigidity. Add extreme cylinder pressures, heat, and a bad tune. The gasket has no chance. I'm not a expert by any means. This is just my observation from all of my failures obviously ,since lowering my timing at my engines peak torque say around 5k-6k all my problems went away. Going forward My recommendation to anyone would def be l19 studs and a hks head gasket. It's so much more burley than the oem gasket. The layers of steel are much thicker than the oem, esp the inner layers. You can look up the comparison on YouTube. A guy compares the oem, felpro and hks. The hks is the clear winner. My new block is finished. It is oringed and those ports on the head were welded shut. I'm planning on 40+ psi on this setup. We will see boys
It has always been said that the best lessons are learned through failure which eventually lead to success with persistence. I can appreciate the process with all you have and others have experienced.with theiir cars!

What do you run Curt?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back