DTC P0335 Crankshaft position sensor circuit malfunction

Posted by UofACATS, Mar 15, 2008
Newbie Forum - Beginner DSM modification questions and discussions. Common, repetitive, and general discussions will get dumped here from other tech forums. Unless you're a Probationary member you shouldn't post threads here.

1. UofACATS

UofACATS Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Tucson, Arizona
    DTC P0335 Crankshaft position sensor circuit malfunction.

There are actually two P0335 codes, one is for crankshaft position sensor, one for crankshaft position sensor circuit. The second is my code. I've removed emissions equipment on my vehicle if that's revelant, the Chiltons manual seems to suggest it is.

Any insight as to what causes this DTC would be appreciated.

:dsm:

(Threads all pertaining to my specific problem, unfortunately none are resolved.)
    http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/search.php?searchid=4278360
  2. luv2rallye

luv2rallye DSM Wiseman

DSM Profiles:
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    There is only one P0335 code in the real Mitsu factory manual. It is for crankshaft position sensor circuit which includes crankshaft position sensor. Listed causes: CPS sensor, CPS wiring/connector, ECU. Can test CPS this way: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/pro...art-no-fuel-prime-no-spark.html#post151265626
  3. UofACATS

UofACATS Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thank you!!!!

I do believe I have a CPS on my spare head. I also have a spare ECU. I'll do a bit of testing first, however.
  4. UofACATS

UofACATS Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Tucson, Arizona
    (Well, the sensor on the head is the cam position sensor.)

I'm in the process of removing the lower timing cover to access the crank position sensor (which sucks!) I'm goint to buy some speciality wrenches and probably make a tool this week.

Would this particular DTC (P0335) cause a no-start? I assume it would if the position of the crank is unknown to the ECU.
  5. luv2rallye

luv2rallye DSM Wiseman

DSM Profiles:
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
  6. UofACATS

UofACATS Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Tucson, Arizona
    I tested the crank position sensor. As well as I could anyway, since my car does not start the idle test is obviously not possible. While cranking, the CPS sensor shows no voltage where it should show 0.4-4.0. I tested all three pins too just to be certian. Now I call Mitsubishi.
  7. UofACATS

UofACATS Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Just a follow-up. I replaced the CPS and the code is gone. My car starts too, although I'm battling other issues at the moment.