The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Dsmkauai's (Sleepy G) 91 gvr4 #1633

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Really sad day for me and the gvr4 today my friends. You all don't even know how bummed I am over this. Was driving the gvr4 to go to town and coming down a road to the main highway. It was wet out but not raining and the intersection is super sketchy already. Doesn't help there's 6' tall buffalo grass and a telephone pole blocking the view from both directions. Anyways I was coming down the hill and around the blind corner, even already had my foot on the brake cuz I know that corner and how bad it is. I've actually had a few close calls there before but nothing like this. The guy was turning left onto the road I was coming down. He said he was really hesitant cuz he couldn't see. And I'm pretty sure he froze in fear or the truck stalled I don't know. All I know is when I came around the corner and finally saw him he was basically sitting still in the middle of the road. I did all I could to avoid it, but with it being wet out my car just slid. I actually would have hit his door and probably hurt both of us really bad. If I didn't at the last second get off the brakes and try to turn around him. Wasn't any room due to the telephone pole and fire hydrant to go any further right. So I ended up hitting the bed of the truck with just the drivers corner of my car. But hitting his rear end really messed my car up. It twisted his rear end enough to pop the drive shaft out. And pushed my fender into the window and broke the corner. I don't really know what to do the last thing I want to do is junk this car. I plan to pull the motor out and put in my talon for now. Then strip down the gvr4 and see what damage is really there and if I can fix it. I do know a few people parting out gvr4's but in the mainland of course. Other than that I know where a base model galant is I think 92. Going to go look at it and see if maybe it could work as a donor. It's been sitting in the same spot for awhile so I'm not sure it even runs. Dsmkauai is mitsuless at the moment guys :(. I'm really sad.
My gvr4
IMG_6379.JPG

The guys ford ranger which was full of electrical supplies in the back
IMG_6380.JPG

Oh my word man...
I am so sorry, what a beautiful car. I hope and pray you can salvage it.
It sure sounds like you were extremely fortunate that all parties were able to walk away from the accident. Just not that beautiful VR4...I had my 91VR4 totaled because of a retard running a stop sign and t-boning her in the rear driver side-I feel you man:(

Really sad day for me and the gvr4 today my friends. You all don't even know how bummed I am over this. Was driving the gvr4 to go to town and coming down a road to the main highway. It was wet out but not raining and the intersection is super sketchy already. Doesn't help there's 6' tall buffalo grass and a telephone pole blocking the view from both directions. Anyways I was coming down the hill and around the blind corner, even already had my foot on the brake cuz I know that corner and how bad it is. I've actually had a few close calls there before but nothing like this. The guy was turning left onto the road I was coming down. He said he was really hesitant cuz he couldn't see. And I'm pretty sure he froze in fear or the truck stalled I don't know. All I know is when I came around the corner and finally saw him he was basically sitting still in the middle of the road. I did all I could to avoid it, but with it being wet out my car just slid. I actually would have hit his door and probably hurt both of us really bad. If I didn't at the last second get off the brakes and try to turn around him. Wasn't any room due to the telephone pole and fire hydrant to go any further right. So I ended up hitting the bed of the truck with just the drivers corner of my car. But hitting his rear end really messed my car up. It twisted his rear end enough to pop the drive shaft out. And pushed my fender into the window and broke the corner. I don't really know what to do the last thing I want to do is junk this car. I plan to pull the motor out and put in my talon for now. Then strip down the gvr4 and see what damage is really there and if I can fix it. I do know a few people parting out gvr4's but in the mainland of course. Other than that I know where a base model galant is I think 92. Going to go look at it and see if maybe it could work as a donor. It's been sitting in the same spot for awhile so I'm not sure it even runs. Dsmkauai is mitsuless at the moment guys :(. I'm really sad.
My gvr4
View attachment 336683
The guys ford ranger which was full of electrical supplies in the back View attachment 336684
Dag bro glad that you are okay!!

Damn, this really sucks. I'm glad you're ok.

I hate to see a VR-4 wrecked like that. Of the 3k that were imported, I'm sure many have met the same fate, sadly.

Well good news maybe. The insurance company is taking responsibility for the accident and says they will fix my car. Will have to take to a company and let them access the damage. Hoping they come thru and will fix it. I'm sure it will take awhile so I'm hoping to pull the engine and trans and do some work while I wait. Like getting my b-series southbend disc back in. Also swap on my fp 68hta :). And a few other little things I'm sure that need attention. :) pray they fix it please oh please haha

Well good news maybe. The insurance company is taking responsibility for the accident and says they will fix my car. Will have to take to a company and let them access the damage. Hoping they come thru and will fix it. I'm sure it will take awhile so I'm hoping to pull the engine and trans and do some work while I wait. Like getting my b-series southbend disc back in. Also swap on my fp 68hta :). And a few other little things I'm sure that need attention. :) pray they fix it please oh please haha
Wow nice

Glad to hear youre ok. Wife and I returned from Maui a month ago and I was surprised how many blind corners there are, not to mention how slick the roads get with a little water. Totally different formulation than we are used to, but ours have to survive -30C in addition to +30C (neither of which they do very well anyway).
I myself would go through the entire run of adjusters at my insurer (only one of those here) until I found a GVR4 sympathizer to get it pushed all the way to complete fix.

Well I'm still awaiting the insurance company to see what's going to happen. I have a few options and not sure what to do. I can find the parts and try to fix my gvr4 or get a shell from a good friend for $1200 and have to ship it over. It will all depend on the insurance company. Also all the body shops on island are 3-4 months backed up which sucks but gives me time to collect parts. I don't really know what to do and am pretty bummed about the whole thing. I spent a lot of time building this car and it got me thru a few years of hard times when my hands where injured. That's what hurts the most I think. Just plain sucks :(. Anyways on to the good news I have a new friend about to join my hoard of mitsu's haha. My good friend Dante moved to the mainland and is leaving his gsx behind. And since I've done a lot of work to it he wants me to have it and finish it. So in the next few weeks ill be getting it 96 gsx built motor and trans and ready to rock. I can't wait to finish this car and hit the track with it.
IMG_6478.JPG

My gst and dantes gsx back in like 2009-10
IMG_6480.JPG

Still working out my gvr4 options. I got some pics of the shell today I can get. With all the repairs I'll need to do the my gvr4 the shell is looking like a better idea. What do you guys think? If I get the shell I'll be doing some very tasteful mods along the way as I build it. Will be what I wanted mine to be.
IMG_6655.JPG
IMG_6656.JPG
IMG_6657.JPG

Do it! You can't be without a gvr4! Besides between you and Brett I want one pretty horribly now, especially after riding in 1837. If you decide you don't want it just ship the shell to my door? :)

How bad is the front clip on your car tweaked?

I'd say the shell only makes sense if it's complete, and that one looks like it isn't. As that shell sits, you'll still be stuck sourcing bumpers and fenders, which will be hard to find and expensive to ship to Hawaii. If you're going to buy a shell, buy a complete shell and pay for shipping once.

If there's any way you can salvage your current car, I'd go that route. Have your buddy source and cache all the parts here stateside, then have him ship them over in a crate all at once. Either way, this won't be cheap. That topical island tax is real, bruh.

The shell is complete just not all back together yet. It will be put back together before shipping. And I may have it shipped to my dads in Chicago first so he can help me get nice seats and maybe a carbon fiber hood in it before shipping. I have sourced all the parts needed to fix mine. But it's pretty bad. The whole driver side is pushed in and engine wedged. I actually can't even start it cuz the inner fender is sitting against the water pump pulley now. Plus the front windshield is broken. And I noticed my glove box doesn't close right anymore. So that tells me a lot has shifted. I'll know more in the next week as I strip my car down to asses the real damage. But I think I can get the shell and ship it here way cheaper than fixing mine. Then the extra money I have I can build the new shell and finally finish what I started with mine. ;) but trust me the last thing I want to do is give up on a gvr4 so that's the hardest part. Also thanks for all the kind words and advice my friends means a lot. Whatever happens dsmkauai will be in a gvr4 before the end of the year haha

Last edited:
So with the gvr4 down right now. I decided to use the engine in my gst :). So far I got it out and just need to switch a few things like flywheel and trans and put on either my fp 68hta turbo or my hx35. Still havnt decides cuz both would be really fun haha
IMG_6780.JPG
IMG_6783.JPG
IMG_6786.JPG
IMG_6794.JPG

I also wanna say how stoked I am with Paul volks chromoly bars. I really believe it saved my motor in the accident. It did bend but if you look at everything else around it. You can see it took the hit a lot better than anything else around it. ;) I'll get some more pics when I remove it all the way.
IMG_6772.JPG
IMG_6773.JPG

IMG_6776.JPG

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back