The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Dsmkauai's 95 GST dd/drag car

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dsmkauai

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 20, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
Well after almost 15 years of owning my DSM, I wanna keep this journal for future memories. So my Dsm is a 95 white gst currently with 237,000 somithing miles on the original block which has never left the engine bay. All my mods are up to date, with the soon addtion of some bc272 cams and a holset wh1c with internally gated .55 bep housing. I've had some good results on the hrc
s16g but am maxing out on flow at 35-36lb/min so its time to move on. My main plans for the car have always been to keep it clean and well maintained. I've been amazed at how this car has held up thru the years. To all my abuse as a young stupid kid to its journey across america, a long boat ride and its final home here in Kauai, HI. I've always done all my own work on the car and tuning and research. Thanks to 2 great dsm buddies on island we have all been learning and advancing with our cars. We plan to blow some minds and show our honda infested islands what dsm's are all about. And of course so much thanks to the support and vast wealth of knowledge found here on dsmtuners I wouldn't be where I'm at with my car without it. So to add in I race at Kauai Raceway park and run in the sports compact class. So far this year I'm in third place, and with the car being so consistent this year I think I can continue to advance.

Attachments

• dsm4.jpg
    dsm4.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 943
  • at the track5.jpg
    at the track5.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 911
Last edited:
Wow, 12s on GST with a small 16g... i bet i could not put down that time with GSX. Good stuff man

Lol maybe cute to you but my wife supports my racing so gotta show the love bro. I'm running 10psi in the slicks and pullin 1.96 60' I think I can improve abit I still spin thru 1st gear, but I'd rather spin alittle than break things.

No worries bro just messing back LOL. Ya bro car is runnin amazing has deffinetly been a loyal car to me. And yes Brian's axles are solid was well worth the small investment, I feel so much more confidence launching this thing hard off the line.

I finally get to see johns journal! I look forward to yours most of all :)

So it's race weekend here in Kauai! I'll be heading down once again on the 16g setup, only changes will be the oil LOL. I plan to try my first launch at 5000 instead of 5250 to see if it gets me out of the hole better and with less spin. I may up the boost back to 22psi since boost was so solid last month thanks to a holset acuator from Justin. I used my trigger feature from my gizzmo ms-ibc to run a 2 step and wired it to the left horn button on steering wheel. So I can launch with about 10psi boost and only hit about 16psi in first. Then right after I shift I trigger my 20psi boost setting. This seems to be the best method out of the hole for me. Although I spin thru most of first, I'm still able to cut consistent 1.9ish 60's. So Im hoping this time out just running alittle lower launch rpm might get a better bite and pull a 1.8ish 60'. This I'm thinking could be enough to get a 12.7 pass or better. And then of course the most important thing to remember is NLTS, I keep trying to shift normal from 1-2 and always drop out of boost. I think this is another reason to lower launch rpm abit, it will help me hit my shift point of 7k better. It seems like when I get to around 7k because I'm still spinning to much. I can't time the shift, I want to let it bounce for a second off the rev limiter and see if it will catch so I can shift smooth. But at the same time I don't wanna hold it to long, so I just shift and try to bring it back in, so it will catch and I can go. Other than that I kinda just wanna focus on winning another trophy this month. The car was solid the last two times out and I was really able to move thru some rounds and make some good points towards this years season. I'm currently in 3rd position with 8 races left this season. I'll be rolling out once again with my friend and his Sti and my other friends evo8.

Can't wait to see more of this. Wish I could be there for the season!

Just alittle update to my journal, and some pics of the carnage. Seems like cylinder 4 spun a bearing which shortly after welded to the crank and snapped the rod then shattering the piston and sending half the rod and wrist pin out the block LOL. Note this was at the dragstrip and was my 7th pass for the day and car was consistently running in the mid-low 12's and cutting low 1.8 to high 1.7 60'. I have so far for my next build, block bore .20 over w/ venoilia race coat pistons and crower I-beam rods, hx35 in bep housing w/ fp 4" intake, jmf race intake mani w/1g throttle (but will switch to acufab), acl race bearings all around. I plan to have a 2g headbuilt by terhune race works (brian) w/ arp or better everything, and also run cams similiar to kelford 272 or bigger, need some bigger injectors I have fic 850's now so wanna go 1050-1200, also plan to run meth with 100 oct to have plenty of juice uptop to flow what this turbo can put out. I have a 4" xspower fmic has 3" in/out and plan to have all 3" ic pipes welded with only two silicon couplers. Plan to finally switch to full version of link and use boost by rpm, and set my meth control up thru it as well. I also plan to get a 8-10 point cage, racing seat and 5 point harness for safety and track rules. For now I'm just stock pilling the parts I will need to build this motor and get the gst back on the track. I plan to start this years race season in my 91 gvr4 which is getting tons of upgrades thanks to used parts I have and will pick up or have picked up already. So far it will get a 2g head w/ bc272, arp studs, s16g, fmic w/ 2.5" ic pipe and hks bov, evo8 suspension, ecu+ to tune, fic 850's and whatever other parts I take off the eclipse and don't reuse with the new build. Anyway thats all for now. kk shootz

Attachments

• piston4.jpg
    piston4.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 624
  • Hole.jpg
    Hole.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 618
Last edited:
Ya it sucks but that block had 240k on it so I knew it would happen one day. I have the .55 bep housing for now to go with my DNP exh mani. This is only until I can afford either the t3 mani and housing or decide to switch to a hx40. :)

nice. Don't use the internal wastegate at least for the hx35. Get an o2 housing with a wastegate if you don't have it setup already. Keep at it man the built motor is going to be awesome. Looks like you are driving the car well butting 1.7 60s. That's about all those QTPs have in them for a FWD car.

For now the bep housing is internally gated and I have a holset 18psi adjustable acuator to use along with my gizzmo ms-ibc. Should be just fine running between 18-30psi, plan to run 18psi in 1st gear and go from there for 2nd and 3rd. Then from there I can plan the next upgrade, I would love to get a external off the o2 but dang they are expensive, if you know of one on the cheap let me know.

Video of a pass from the season run was [email protected] w/a 1.786 60'.
[ame]http://youtu.be/Ssw30Srpx0w[/ame]

Last edited:
Build update!!
Well boys and girls, I've been extremely busy collecting and buying parts for my new motor build, trying to keep build to a 3k budget but may go over a bit. So far things are going good and I almost have all the parts I need to assemble motor and drop in. I have a .20 over block that I will run venolia race coated pistons attached to crower billet I-beam rods, acl race bearings and oem polished crank and balanced rotating assembly. This will be paired with a built 1g head that has been ported and polished and has +1mm ferrea valves, kiggly hla pressure reg, fidanza adj cam gears, crower springs and titanium retainers, new brass guides and supertech stem seals, bc272's, held down by L19's smashing a Mitsu mls. To get the flow thru this head I scored a 1g jmf drag smim w/ Q45 90mm TB, 3" ic piping going into big fmic. Turbo for now will be a holset hx35 w/ .55 bolt on bep housing and to keep up with that I got some FIC 1050's. Also added to the list complete fuel lab upgrade consisting of, fuel lab afpr and (-6an) lines a fuel lab 585 filter with (-8an) lines either running thru stock fuel line or upgraded (-8an) lines, also have aem high flow fuel rail. The rest is new oem gaskets everywhere, new front case and gears with bsek, and arp everything else I can get LOL and a ffwd ffofh, fluidampr crank pulley, and mtx-d oil pressure and temp gauge, ecmlink upgrade to full v3 and SD kit set to run boost by gear. I'm still unsure if I will run VP Q16 or get a meth kit and see how that works out. Once all the parts I ordered get here and rotating assembly comes back from being balanced I can start assembling and blue printing motor. Well that's all for now, will update again soon when all parts are in and I start assembly. :)

Last edited:
It has begun my friends!! :hellyeah: I purchased every single part for my new motor build. I did go over my budget but not to bad I was trying to keep it around 3k but spent 5k. Which for what I'm doing isn't bad at all, and once I sell some of the parts I won't need I can recoup some of that and be around 4k spent. Ill be updating my profile with all the info once all the parts arrive and I'm done building the motor. I plan to fully gut the engine bay and clean it up, I've never had the motor fully out only trans so there's 240k of grim and grit all over LOL. Anyway so far I got in the mail my fic 1050's and fidanza adjustable cam gears. I also have had my holset hx35 w/ .55 dsm flange bep housing In my closet for a while its got a fresh rebuild and is ready to boost. :) more updates soon and picks of parts and the build.

Last edited:
Well after much thought I've decided to sell the gst with a fresh 0 miles motor. My plan now is to take my built motor and all my performance parts off the gst and swap them into my 60k 98 talon tsi. I feel this is a good move for me to keep the lower mile car it also is alot cleaner than my gst. I will however keep the 2gb bumper and lights and rear hatch with high rise wing and paint match to the talon. This way if I want to rock the talon look I can and if I miss the 2gb eclipse look it will be a easy swap to have it again. :) more updates and build pics coming real soon! :) lots of parts came in this week so once rotating assembly is back in my hands I can start building the block. Fic 1050's and fidanza adjustable cam gears. 1g jmf drag smim matched with a 90mm q45 TB.

Last edited:
Not yet but soon, its still under its tarp and stuff. I plan to bring it around to the garage and start swapping parts this week so ill definitely snap some shots. :) I also made big changes to my motor setup, because of all the mishaps and unreliable sellers on here. I'm forced to change things, I am now having Brian from Terhune raceworks build me a fully built 6bolt and doing all the needed machine work. So I won't have to deal with finding a good shop out here and have more complications.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back