The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

dsmcrzy's Eclipse 20g 420a

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I will have to remember this when I go to megasquirt. One thing I wanted to add was cruise control and figure out how to get megasquirt to run it. Once you have speed set it to keep speed do a less than turn on the pump and greater than turn off the pump. Use spare ports left over. But keep up the work man, doing an amazing job hopefully soon I can start doing fun stuff once everything stops breaking on my car.

Thank you

I'm not sure if MS can control cruise control. I have just never explored that before. This isn't my daily car and it doesn't go on long trips so I have no use for cruise control.

I have been reading so much about MS the last couple of years have ideas but really just need to get to the point where I have it and can mess around with it. I use cruise control all the time takes me less than 5 minutes to get to work and I use cruise control. Being said i don't use it often going to work. My build I want to do has a lot of small goals so I am thinking of all the small things that must people don't. After seeing your Audi coils a while back that is part of the plan just looks amazing.

Little update. Car has been running great. Haven't done much to it due to our wedding being next month (to the fiancé, not the car ROFL). So we have been spending a lot of time on that.

Well for some time now my clutch pedal has been getting sloppy and just a lot of play in it. I finally got some time to look at it. I ordered every part I could from Mitsubishi to rebuild/replace every moving part I could. It was $35 total in parts which were really just bushings and spacers. Mitsu has discontinued the pedal itself which I tried to get.

it looks like the plastic bushing wore/broke along time ago and then the pin just wore and wore into the pedal hole. I took some quick measurements on where the pin used to be and then welded the hole up solid and re drilled it. Got everything back together last night and adjusted the assembly per jacks transmissions YouTube video. Still want to play with it more after driving it but wow what a difference.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Another piece closer to getting the car turboed. Thanks to @JusMX141 for hooking me up with this sweet 'Level 2' Frankenstien 20g! Thanks Justin! This this is beautiful!!

1E7F38E6-2024-4883-A18B-AEE5335131EB_zpskbyhvtox.jpg

F10F35ED-9E59-4221-A544-E1AAEE67DA5F_zpsvzbjxdpb.jpg

58C6BE56-6305-4248-B85D-52536AA3CE89_zpsgycjs60d.jpg

5BEFBCCB-F7D4-4243-8030-B413654E29E9_zpsd3kh0yje.jpg

536D9221-608F-4708-AAD7-D713BE1B26DD_zps8tixxyab.jpg

7B7D1214-1C61-48E6-8CEF-1C152E390593_zpsfghz61ws.jpg

51B270B4-79F2-4D84-8EEA-E4C0E6A2B2E0_zpsinv8so3k.jpg

Bolted it up to my manifold just to get an idea of what it would look like. Can't wait to get it on!

image.jpg
image.jpg

Once you get 'er bolted up, leave the v-band clamp a little loose and clock the bearing housing however it needs to be to align with your drain, then tighten the clamp. Last step would be to clock the compressor cover. :)

Ok will do thank you! I already have the 10an fittings and the fitting STM makes to convert the drain to 10an.

Well I haven't posted many updates. Just been enjoying the car and not wrenching on it too much...

Then my coolant overflow tank decided to start leaking... Well I decided it was time to get a good one anyways so I ordered a JM Fab one off extreme PSI.

Also since the car is kinda non drivable without leaking a lot of coolant it was a good time to get my Calan V3 catch can installed. Right now it's all plumbed in with 6an lines but ones the turbo is in I will switch the outlet to 10an. I bought a FP intake with a 10an bung already welded in so all set there.

Still need to get some line separators to clean it up a bit but I think it came out great.

Can't wait to see how this performs. ESP when it get colder out with the e85.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Well I finally got a chance to play with controlling the IAC valve via the megasquirt. Up until this point I just had the idle set a little high via the throttle stop (set it to 1000 RPMs when it was warm).

While this did work... I always wanted to get the IAC valve to work. I had been fighting with a few different IAC valves (brand wise) for my jeep throttle body. I just couldn't get any of them to work consistently on the bench. Through some research I came across a thread where some people had good luck with the Standard Motor Products IAC... I figured for the $30 what the hell. I already have 5 of these damn things hanging around. So I ordered it and bolted it up and started testing... low and behold it was actually working very well! I set it up the best I could and then started the car up. It idles great and catches the idle coming off throttle pretty well. I know I will be adjusting some more settings but below is what I have so far. I will update as I get it more refined. Some things will be different on different engines/throttle body set ups but hopefully this can give other 420Aer's a place to start...

The Standard Motor Products IAC valve part number is: AC151T

Idle_settings.jpg

Alright here are my updated and pretty much final numbers for the IAC. I may try playing around with the more in depth PID settings.

Idle_settings.jpg

A few notes on the closed loop settings starting from top left. This is just additional to what is already there.

Min and max steps - This is basically the window where the max is the highest number of steps for cold idle/startup and the min is the lowest step number to meet your idle rpm when the engine is hot. Closing this window down will help prevent the idle valve from oscillating from 0 steps to as far as it wants.

Closed Loop PID gains - this is how aggressive the loop tries to reach the idle rpm. the higher the number the more aggressive. the more aggressive the move it will oscillate trying to catch its self. so it may go from 5 steps to 20 steps to 6 steps back to 18 steps as the RPMs are fluctuating the idle valve is trying to correct.

PID control interval - this is basically how often the algorithm runs is milliseconds.

What I found to work best is to make the Closed loop PID gain low so its not aggressive and to run the PID interval more often. Basically this makes the idle valve more predictable and will take fewer steps trying to correct the idle but will correct it more often.

I spent alot of time in the driveway playing with this and overall have had a good experience and luck with it. Searching on the web you will find alot of failed 420a megasquirt IAC threads. hopefully these couple of posts help a few people.

Finally really coming together. All I really have left is intercooler pipe, downpipe and various oil/water plumbing to do. So really I just need to bolt this up to the car and get going. Should be after thanksgiving when i start taking the car apart. It's not off the road yet but I typically don't run it past the first snow fall.

Also need to get this to detective coatings once the downpipe is made.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

hi, great build, thanks for documenting it.
i wanna know if you can bolt the turbo otherway, intake on the passanger side, like the 4g63s?
i think intercooler piping will be easier that way

Thank you.

Yea that's possible but with the manifold flange being between cyl 3 and 4 would make the cold intercooler pipe and downpipe very close to each other.

Trust me I have this all planed out and will post pics after thanksgiving when I start tearing into the car.

Well I couldn't pass up @Detective Coating 's Black Friday sale to help clean up the turbo parts. Turn around time was insane! Thank you Justin. Your communication and customer service is second to none!

The parts look better than I could have imagined. Can't wait to get the car torn down after Christmas!

image.jpeg

Got the manifold and stuff today. Man does Justin at detective coatings do some good work.
I love the color too. Looks much better in person.

Can wait to get back from seeing the families over Xmas and start tearing into the car.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Haven't gotten too far. My masters classes started again and work has been busy. Trying to figure out a downpipe which is really the only set back right now besides time.

I did get a chance to get my e85 Wally 450 hung on a spare hanger I had. Got the 6an fitting from STM and the fitting for the wire from summit racing. It's part number ABT-CFD-504.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Made some slow progress. Just need to find more time but school and work have been killing me lately. I finally got the VRSF intercooler mounted. Only thing that sucks is I had to move the radiator back towards the engine bay to fit my rad fan between the intercooler and radiator. So now I have to make up new coolant pipes and mounting brackets. Not a huge deal but just adds time.

I have all the bends for the down pipe. Just need to tack them together and cut some straight pipe. Then I need to wrap up my turbo oil and coolant lines. And figure out my intercooler piping needs. Getting there just need to find some time.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back