The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

dsm newbie here! need help with buying an 2nd gen eclipse gsx

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agll30

Proven Member
Aug 25, 2014
Beaverton, Oregon
Hi guys! I used have 2000 mitsubishi eclipse gt but a couple months ago i crashed my 3g eclipse and it was totaled :( now that i have money again i want to buy a 2nd gen eclipse gsx! How much does one of this go for? I can't seem to find any under 6k in oregon :(! If anyone knows someone or is selling one in washington/oregon let me know i'm willing to travel haha!! I've been doing some research and it seems that the engine the 2nd gen eclipses have (4g63t) often get crankwalk? Does crankwalk happen when it has low miles or high miles? What should i look for such as corriosion, rust, mechanical problems etc..

Best advice I can give you is go to town on that Search bar...any question you can think of when in the market for a dsm has been covered a hundred times on here.

Look for a clean, unmolested car(very hard to find LOL) and drive it of coarse. It will take time and don't just settle on the first cheap car that pops up. Goodluck with the search.

They are all different and most are not unmolested but I have come across several very clean ones with around 55000 or 60000 miles go for at least 5500$

Normally crankwalk is more of a factory defect which means it would happen at lower miles rather than higher miles. Crankwalk can also occur from a car being built wrong, not tuning it, using cheap mods, etc. Chances are VERY high that if you buy a 7 Bolt GSX 95-99 GSX it will NOT crankwalk if it has over 30k miles and is unmolested. Otherwise you can keep an eye out for a 6 bolt swapped GSX if you're that paranoid but IMO it's not much to worry about at all. People have made tons of power on 7 bolts with out the crankwalk "myth".. Make sure the car you get it either unmodded, or has been modded correctly!!!

Othwer things for you to look for, check the car for strut tower rust. This is very common in 2gs that haven't been taken care of! Check the frame rails under neath to make sure someone hasn't jacked it up in the wrong spot everywhere and smashed everything up underneath. Also check the rear wheel wells for rust. There's more to look for but there's the basics for you. Check around in other threads you'll find things to look for.

You'll have to spend a decent amount of money to find a good car. I'd expect to pay about $5000.00 at the least. Enjoy the AWD turbo though man. Makes you smile when you drive it unlike a 3g Eclipse :thumb:

thanks for everyones input i appreciate it!! i will save up a bit more to find a decent one unmolested.

Like others stated the best is to find one that has not been modded but if you have to buy one that has mods try and find one that seems to be built correctly. Too many fast and furious people out there and just want to go fast for cheap. There is no such thing as fast and cheap with still being reliable.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back