The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

DSM/EVO 8/9 Rear Diff. Gearing Discrepancy

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountain_man

Supporting Member
Apr 18, 2007
Merritt Island, Florida
Good morning everyone,
I’ve been researching the EVO VIII / EVO IX rear diff (Part #: MR166619) swap for my Time Attack prep’d 2G. In the process of doing so I’ve developed a few questions that I would like to pose to the DSM community. Here are a few links on how perform the install and applicable part numbers for the swap:
www.dsmtuners.com/threads/evo-rear-lsd-in-a-1g-2g-housing.467544/
www.ca.dsm.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat@Number=424987
According to the following table (vfaq.com/mods/trannies.html), the rear diff ratio for 1G, 2G, and GVR4’s are 3.545 (39/11). I’ve checked this across several other posts and this seems to be an accurate statement but if this information is invalid, please provide me with a link for all of our knowledge.
This is doesn’t seem like it would work, as the EVO 8/9 rear diff. ratio is 3.307 (43/14) (www.mnasz.hu/letoltes/mitsubishievo_infok.pdf), which would cause the center differential to compensate for the new rear gearing.
Admittedly I’m not a Drivetrain Engineer but can some please clarify how this doesn’t cause excessive wear on the front/center diff?
Thanks in advance!

When i helped Boston put the evo engine and trans in his 3g he used a 2g rear diff with the stock gears. He had at that time told me that the ratio of the diff he used was the same, and it seemed to work out just fine, but i haven't talked to him in a long time to see if it is still holding up.

bastarddsm, thank you for the clarification! I re-re-read the article and found the information you pointed out clear as Saturday morning sunshine. Sorry if it was a waste of you time.

I spoke to Jon at TRE yesterday and I'm going to have him put this package for me, once I figure out if a the FF rear diff. cover is really necessary for road racing or if it's just a nice to have...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back