Driving with Transfer case removed?

Posted by nuclearr, Mar 14, 2009
Drivetrain Tech - 4G63 transmission, clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, gears, differentials, transfer case, shifter, etc.

1. nuclearr

nuclearr Proven Member

Slidell, Louisiana
    OK as stated can will a AWD drive with the t/c removed? I know this sounds stupid and I usualy would not ask, but the wife's BMW has taken a transmission crap:notgood: and I need another driving car.

I have a gst spyder with a AUTO capmission:notgood: that is blown. I want to do a awd swap but have yet to find a doner car for the right pice within a reasonable distance. I want to do the manual swap but want to know if i get an AWD transmission will it drive with out the t/case. There is not an AWD rear end in this car as of yet.
  2. ryanman

ryanman Proven Member

Kodiak, Alaska
    Yes, it'll work.
  3. jrohner

jrohner Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Willmar, Minnesota
    But will fry the viscous.

You will need a viscous coupler eliminator, or welded viscous, or welded center diff.
  4. nuclearr

nuclearr Proven Member

Slidell, Louisiana
    I need a viscous elimiator? I dont want to put the t-case on unless I have to. For reason like the transmission leaking fluid (I dont think this is an issue I looked at my 1gs and looks like they wount leak) or not engaging (this would be my main concern). This is what I really need to know.
  5. v8s_are_slow

v8s_are_slow Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Panama City, Florida
    Well, unless you want the viscous burned up, you need to do like one of the above that was mentioned. So to answer the question, unless you do one of the above....no, you can't.
  6. PIMking

PIMking Proven Member

tuscaloosa, Alabama
    I had a friend do it in his 91 for quite some time ( about a year) that was before I got a dsm. We installed the T/C and axles and everything was fine. I dont belive that he had anything done to the viscous.
  7. architechnik

architechnik Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Glad, Oregon
    The viscous will be more of a problem if you remove one of the front axles. It's not meant to deliver all the force continuously to the rear or to have the rear spin at a different rate than the front. If the pin is let to spin freely, then viscous should be fine.
  8. rock1t

rock1t Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Bowling Green, Kentucky
    The viscous delivers the power equally in our cars though, correct? From previous experience, I broke both rear axles at the drag strip and blew my center diff in my transmission. That was a bad day for me. Oh well shep stage 4 trans and welded center diff, and new rear axles solved my issues.
  9. nuclearr

nuclearr Proven Member

Slidell, Louisiana
    Okay lets try this again seems no one has quite hit the point. Will the car drive with the t-case NOT atached to the vehicle? If it is removed from the car I do not need a viscous eliminator. The viscous is in the t-case, correct?
  10. gbradley

gbradley Proven Member

Terry, Mississippi
    The vc is in the tranny, not in the t-case and you will need a vc eliminator atleast.
  11. toofast82

toofast82 Proven Member

Tinley Park, Illinois
    Also it is supposedly typically an hour install and can be done with tranny in car
  12. 99gst_racer

99gst_racer Moderator

DSM Profiles:
    Coloma, Michigan

If you plan to run an AWD transmission in FWD mode, you'll need either a welded center diff or a VCE. Period.
  13. Littlebeeper

Littlebeeper Proven Member

Kingsville, Texas
    it will move as i just did it. it will most likely mess up the VC over time (may take minutes to days depending on how the car is driven and the condition of the VC) ,and most importantly it will not have full power to the front wheels. it feels like a clutch slippage and the car hates to go uphills (really starts to slip then).
    so, short anwer, yes it will drive but it will likely mess up VC and will not be safe to drive as it feels like it has a bad clutch so NO don't do it

wow, imagine my long answers :)
  14. jrohner

jrohner Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Willmar, Minnesota
    Yes the car will move, but the viscous will be 'slipping' when you accelerate. The viscous is not hard to deal with, it's right under the cover on the tranny. Pull the cover, a snap-ring, and the viscous. Either weld the viscous or get a VCE. put the 3 items back on (remember to put RTV sealant on the cover, obviously). Done.
  15. jrohner

jrohner Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Willmar, Minnesota
    Why would being AWD make your tranny leak? If you mean the t-case leaking because of no driveshaft, yes the fluid will run right out, but it's not the transmission fluid that will leak since the tranny & t-case have the oil separate from each other. And what exactly wont engage? All the t-case is basically is two gears, the viscous AND center diff AND front diff are in the transmission.

I think we've all already "hit the point" of "you will fry the viscous if you do this".
  16. nuclearr

nuclearr Proven Member

Slidell, Louisiana
    Thanks for the help. I did not know the viscous was in the trasmission. Also was not sure if the bolts for the t/case went trough the the transmission case hence the reason I was asking if it would leak. I knew if I remove the drive shaft the t-case would leak.

Sorry for all the confusion. I just wanted to have a crystal clear understanding of what was needed.