Driving With Bad Knock Sensor?

Posted by xwade01, Apr 30, 2007
Newbie Forum - Beginner DSM modification questions and discussions. Common, repetitive, and general discussions will get dumped here from other tech forums. Unless you're a Probationary member you shouldn't post threads here.

1. xwade01

xwade01 Probationary Member

Waterloo, Iowa
    I drive a 90 Eclipse GST, and it throws a CEL code a right after a few minutes of driving. I had a buddy check the code and he says it was a code 31. From what I believe thats a bad knock sensor. I only boost to about 6-7psi in 1st gear, then 9-10 in 2-5 gears. It does have goo comming off the sensor so I'm pretty sure it's bad. Is driving with a dead bad knock sensor bad? And is it okay if it's not beat on or is it just a no-no??

From what I searched I couldn't really find much detail on my question about driving. It also has many topics for the knock sensor. All the help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!!
  2. dsmdizzle

dsmdizzle Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Evanston, Wyoming
    First off, no it is not smart to drive without a knock sensor. But, you can. I went through the same deal just a week or 2 ago when I couldnt afford the sensor. When the cel pops on for the knock sensor it automatically tells the ecu that there is a problem so it tells it that there is knock. When sensor picks up knock it retards the timing, in turn making the car feel slow. All i did was take the sensor out of the block ground it out so it sends no signal. Then wrap the sensor with a thick rag and zip tie it so that it doesnt pick up road noise as knock. Now you are driving with no knock sensor. You can blow your car to bits so DO NOT HOT ROD IT.
  3. 95blackGsTurbo

95blackGsTurbo DSM Wiseman

Cottage Grove, Minnesota
    You can do it but your car is going to have no power. Just get it replaced as soon as you can.
  4. xwade01

Waterloo, Iowa
    I have means to replace the sensor ASAP, but i'm in the same boat as you; No funds, or no way to get the sensor brand new to completely fix the problem. A buddy of mine says his looks pretty new, and it works. So he's going to give me his knock sensor from his TSi and hopefully that'll solve the case. As for me driving it, i'm not hot rodding it at all. I usually just shift around 3-4k rpm's, and let boost get to about 5 and thats about it. I don't try to drive, but if I have to get somewhere thats only way.
  5. spyderturbo007

spyderturbo007 DSM Wiseman

DSM Profiles:
    New Cumberland, Pennsylvania
    Actually, driving the car with a knock sensor CEL, will dump the ECU into limp mode. Not a good idea.
  6. xwade01

Waterloo, Iowa
    Well I read a few threads about how to take the knock sensor off. The outcome is I have to basically cut that 1 and 1/16 wrench in half to get to the knock sensor and properly take it off. Well is there any other way to remove it without cutting tools in half, maybe a different route or tool to get it off??
  7. freshlane

freshlane Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Windy City, Illinois
    i had the problem a few weeks ago before I bought a new one. I drove it that way for about a week. MY motor is fine, BUT..... I tried my best to keep out of boost.
  8. spyderturbo007

spyderturbo007 DSM Wiseman

DSM Profiles:
    New Cumberland, Pennsylvania
    I've never pulled a knock sensor off a 1g, so I can't help you there. But Craftsman wrenches are guaranteed for life, no matter what you do to them. ;)
  9. xwade01

Waterloo, Iowa
    Well good news, I replaced the knock sensor and check engine light went off. It made a helluva difference, and it made it feel like a whole new car!! Boosting 10-12 psi through all gears now. All i'm waiting for now is the data logger.
  10. hansfase

hansfase Probationary Member

muskegon, Michigan
    i am almost positive i have a burnt up knock sensor also, but it is not throwing me a check engine light... WTF, is that posible?
  11. Glliw

Glliw Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Panama City Beach, Florida
    yes, mine is dead as well, about to order a new one,but it does not always throw a code if its just on its way out.
  12. gc3nym06

gc3nym06 Probationary Member

whitestone, New_York
    can any one ### tell me where the hell my knock sensor is located ? 93 talon non turbo..:cry:
  13. Savage Talon

Savage Talon Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    North Bay, California
    You don't have one on a non-turbo.
  14. Guzman08

Guzman08 Proven Member

Valley Wide, Texas
    What r the symptoms of a bad knock sensor